Super League Promotion (Merged Threads)

Col81

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Look, they are in Wigan and wear Wigan clothes. They look like a duck and quack like a duck.

I'm not interested in which specific sub species of duck. They're Wigan.

Now, if there's a problem with that then maybe you're starting to see why rugby league as a sport has an image problem in convincing people that's a national, let alone international, sport.

My grandfather would walk home from Wigan in disgust and would speak to no one all week if Leigh lost to Wigan, he was a bare knuckle prizefighter back in the day and I would imagine if he was now as he was then he would walk all the way to Hastings to say hello if you described him as a Wigginer.

Leigh had no say in being put in Wigan Metro, just as they had no say in the railway line  being taken away by Dr Beeching, but don't let that stop your juvenile quips if it gives you pleasure.

3 minutes ago, POR said:

It makes me laugh all this nonsense about touiouse covid  travel restrictions and SL remind me is the championship a covid free zone  

The harsh reality is that few people care what happens in the championship. 

We have just had an entire season of the championship cancelled and barely a murmer from anyone. We have just swapped one of their strongest clubs for an expansion club with no thought at how the clubs actually in the championship will be effected. 

The championship exists for a select few to get out of. Nothing else in it matters. 

Its the same with the idea that SL should expand to 14 sides. It will give a couple of the lucky ones a chance to hang on to the coat-tails of the big clubs but everyone else in the championship would see two big teams leave and either go with fewer games or promote two smaller sides. 

But thats ok because apparently clubs no aiming for SL are worthless, pointless and dont really merit consideration. 

1 minute ago, POR said:

It makes me laugh all this nonsense about touiouse covid  travel restrictions and SL remind me is the championship a covid free zone  

It's potentially a huge issue for the Championship where players have jobs to go to, they can't be wrapped in a bubble like SL. Toulouse going up would have solved that problem and also removed a home game with zero away fans.

Should have titled this one Super League Promotion (Unmerged Threads)

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

Wetting myself at this.  London new ground?  Nope.  Toulouse to grow game and build a European SL?  Nope.

Screw it. Fair play Leigh.  Hope we get serious about expanding SL to 14 and hope Leigh stay up. 

As much as I would have preferred either of those two to Leigh (nothing against Leigh fair play to them being successful), if London's move to a new ground is totally dependent upon SL then they're not in a strong position and shouldn't have got the nod in the first place.

And Toulouse have built a strong squad, moved into a befitting ground and are surely favourites to come up through the normal means next season.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Wetting myself at this.  London new ground?  Nope.  Toulouse to grow game and build a European SL?  Nope.

Screw it. Fair play Leigh.  Hope we get serious about expanding SL to 14 and hope Leigh stay up. 

Do London have a new ground though? I know there's talks with Wimbledon, but has anything been confirmed? Was it in their application?

4 minutes ago, POR said:

The Championship will cope ok with 25% of crowd capacity .However some S.L. clubs may find themselves in the brown sticky stuff.Cant see unlimited crods in before near the end of next season.

Congratulations to Leigh

Let’s hope it doesn’t become a poisoned chalice because they’ve got one hell of a lot of work to do or they’ll be straight back down and in a much worse position in 2022 than would otherwise have been the case.

All this talk of having the most competitive squad in place is misguided, they've got a complete first choice team rebuild to do they may get away with retaining some players as squad members but that’s it! They've also got a a novice Coach who will need to recruit some experienced assistants to help him through the unavoidably tough periods ahead.

In terms of finance and facilities they’re almost certainly the correct choice especially in these uncertain times which have already cost us Toronto and created this opportunity for Leigh in the first place.

Its not a great look for the sport but it’s a decision that was almost unavoidable given the circumstances. I would hope that Toulouse & York in particular learn from the processes and perhaps see beyond the horizon of today’s decision to the possibilities they’ve been awoken to because of Toronto’s demise.

Featherstone Rovers ought to be looking ahead to winning promotion on the field and in doing so gain more preparation time for a real crack at staying up in 2022.

If London make their move to Plough Lane on a reported 10 year minimum lease, they should use that time to once and for all lay down roots in a borough and make their push in the next 3 to 5 years.

As for Bradford, I just don’t know! We saw how big their potential is but it was built on financial improprieties. The real question for them is can they generate that level of success and popularity on sensible budgets? The historical answer is ‘NO’, Bradford Northern throughout their pre Bulls existence were a mediocre supported club with average success who had suffered from severe financial problems on at least 2 occasions. They need to continue learning to live within their means while building incrementally towards another crack at the top.

sorry for the long post!

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

My grandfather would walk home from Wigan in disgust and would speak to no one all week if Leigh lost to Wigan, he was a bare knuckle prizefighter back in the day and I would imagine if he was now as he was then he would walk all the way to Hastings to say hello if you described him as a Wigginer.

Leigh had no say in being put in Wigan Metro, just as they had no say in the railway line  being taken away by Dr Beeching, but don't let that stop your juvenile quips if it gives you pleasure.

Oh, that was too easy.

Enjoy your day, you miserable blugger.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Its over. The decision is made. No amount of moaning on here will change this. It's up to Leigh now to deliver what they promised and gain enough points to avoid relegation and enough profit to build a railway station for all those away fans.

7 minutes ago, POR said:

As we saw this year, the Championship will just be sacrificed if needs be. SL can't afford another high profile expansion failure next season.

1 minute ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

As much as I would have preferred either of those two to Leigh (nothing against Leigh fair play to them being successful), if London's move to a new ground is totally dependent upon SL then they're not in a strong position and shouldn't have got the nod in the first place.

And Toulouse have built a strong squad, moved into a befitting ground and are surely favourites to come up through the normal means next season.

I was actually hoping it would be Toulouse, as thought it would give Leigh a better chance of promotion. As it stands, we're a good few players short of having any chance of staying up

Archived