Jump to content

London and York are not out of this yet!!


Recommended Posts

After the first few weeks of the Championship season I'm hearing fans say, it's between Toulouse and Featherstone as to who will be promoted to Super League.

After seeing York's performance against Featherstone and London's outstanding performance against BatleyI think that might be premature. 

London and York are still in this and are not far off the top two. 

Add to that I'm hearing London have recruited two top props from the French league which is gonna beef up their pack immensely, also York have brought in the talented Mikey Lewis from KR on loan, a player like Mikey could've made a difference in the Fev game. 

It will not be plain sailing for Fev and TO, there'll be plenty of twists and turns and drama to come. 

Let's go London!! 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the knicker-wetting early season criticism of London was embarrassing.

Always has to be remembered that London are full time. And that Danny Ward likes to time his run. 

I think it’s Toulouse, daylight, with London, Fev and York bankers for the playoffs. Bradford, Batley and Halifax fighting out for fifth and sixth.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Some of the knicker-wetting early season criticism of London was embarrassing.

Always has to be remembered that London are full time. And that Danny Ward likes to time his run. 

I think it’s Toulouse, daylight, with London, Fev and York bankers for the playoffs. Bradford, Batley and Halifax fighting out for fifth and sixth.

I was checking out the London squad player profiles the other day and was pleasantly surprised that the majority of the squad are from either the south or interestingly enough from the midlands.

I always thought that the broncos were in a good position to attract a few French players for their squad.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I was checking out the London squad player profiles the other day and was pleasantly surprised that the majority of the squad are from either the south or interestingly enough from the midlands.

I always thought that the broncos were in a good position to attract a few French players for their squad.

Don't really get that , who would prefer to live in London over Fev or Batley ? 

Some strange folk about , I don't know what you 3 are laughing about , I'm being serious , I can't think of anything worse than living in London 

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

The two top props rumour named Anthony Mullally formerly of Leeds Rhinos who left the game to run a natur reserve  https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/anthony-mullally-rugby-super-league-23858205  and Pat Moran Ex- Warrington Wolves coming back from SO Avignon XIII in the French League.

When I last checked both the Vegan Warrior and Pat were not French but qualified for Ireland.

London have had the one impressive performance so far and York lost to Featherstone. Yet there are those who think they are now a lock for the Grand Final. There's a point I need to make in the interests of balance

The championship is a placing competition with the business end coming in the playoffs. If you get to the playoffs then it transforms into a cup competition. Based upon the evidence I have seen this year, there a number of sides in the Championship that could cause an upset. If Halifax play as the did against London or Sheffield play as they did against London or London as they did against Batley then all the clubs mentioned have a punchers chance of knocking off Feathersone and Tolouse Olympique. because it will all boil down to who turns up on the day. For example, I did not think we would hold on against the pyramid scheme that was Toronto Wolfpack until Kieran Dixon booted the ball out on the final hooter. So all things are possible in Rugby League.

Still from a London RL perspective there would be one silver lining about missing out on promotion. AFC Wimbledon would have to pay for their own floodlight upgrade...

  • Like 2
Quote

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not going to get excited about the Bronx just yet. They’ve lost to Halifax, York and Toulouse thus far (and drew with Sheffield) and have beaten Oldham, Newcastle and Batley. They need to beat the top sides or at least, beat the top sides come end of summer because, IIRC, they had a pretty ordinary record against the top sides in the comp in 2018, though turned up when it mattered in the play-offs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

It was a 3 horse race and is now a 2 horse race. Fev to beat TO when it matters

To be honest Toulouse look unstoppable and remember they are winning away from home god knows how many they will put passed some teams on a hot summers evening in France June/July/August.

 

Paul

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

To be honest Toulouse look unstoppable and remember they are winning away from home god knows how many they will put passed some teams on a hot summers evening in France June/July/August.

 

Paul

 

And I see their match with Swinton next weekend has been switched to Heywood Road from Toulouse.  This is in accordance with the RFL's pre-season requirements, according to the TO website, as this is the only match between the two sides in the league this season.

Meanwhile, has anything more been heard from, or said by, the RFL about the lockdown-breaking incident at Post Office Road?  Could that yet affect where Fev finish in the league?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

TO have an aging squad.

Think theres only 3 or 4 players under 30 in their whole squad, be burnt out come the playoffs. 

Not true Sangare, Jussame, Marion, Ader, Puech, Bretherton, Bergal, Schamkel, Albert all under 30. That's not including the players that are actually 30 years old. 

In any case I don't think your theory has any truth in it that players over 30 burn out at the end of the season 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

TO have an aging squad.

Think theres only 3 or 4 players under 30 in their whole squad, be burnt out come the playoffs. 

Completely disagree, they'll walk it. 

  • Like 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Long way until the end of the season and there will be lots of twists and turns as usual. If Toulouse are to win they are going to have to improve there playoff record which so far has pretty poor.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Before the season started it looked like Fev and Toulouse were a cut above the rest squad wise and my only worry about Toulouse was that covid issues may stop them completing the season. That looks unlikely now and nothing in my view has changed about the top 2 apart from Toulouse look a class above Fev from what they have shown so far. The only thing that stops them getting promoted is a shock final defeat to whoever gets there with them and like has been said that really could be 75% of the other teams in the division.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

TO have an aging squad.

Think theres only 3 or 4 players under 30 in their whole squad, be burnt out come the playoffs. 

They can only be burnt out if they are actually being tested. At half time in their last 3 games it was 34-0, 30-0, 26-0

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Before the season started it looked like Fev and Toulouse were a cut above the rest squad wise and my only worry about Toulouse was that covid issues may stop them completing the season. That looks unlikely now and nothing in my view has changed about the top 2 apart from Toulouse look a class above Fev from what they have shown so far.

Toulouse definitely have a pack that has plenty of players who would still be regulars in many SL teams (especially Casty and Garbutt), indeed I thought before the season started that Toulouse had a stronger pack than Leigh and I still think that's the case.

That said...if Fev, or another team, can stand up to their pack I don't think their back division is obviously more talented than a couple of others in the division. Obviously Ford can look great especially behind a dominant pack but he has off days like most half backs, and they don't really have another proven specialist half back. Their three quarters are decent but not unstoppable, and Kheirallah seems to be taking a long time to recover from his injury. For me, if a team can hold its own in the arm wrestle up front with Toulouse they have a fair chance of beating them

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As the season goes on you would expect that London have a bit of an advantage purely by rest and recuperation whereas other teams lads need to work (especially in summer months if building work picks up). I still think it will be Toulouse and Fev but having a whole host of clubs that look SL ready infrastructure wise (York, Toulouse, Fev, Broncos) all in the playoffs can only be a boost. 

Whoever wins out of Bull and Broncos next week I'll pencil in for a playoff spot. Mind you, I thought Widnes would sneak a playoff place with a kind fixture list and look how that has worked out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The pretext of this thread is strange to say the least

We're only 6 games into the season, and there are 3 points separating the team in the final play off position (York) with the team currently occupying the second relegation spot (Widnes)

It's still ALL to play for.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

As the season goes on you would expect that London have a bit of an advantage purely by rest and recuperation whereas other teams lads need to work (especially in summer months if building work picks up). I still think it will be Toulouse and Fev but having a whole host of clubs that look SL ready infrastructure wise (York, Toulouse, Fev, Broncos) all in the playoffs can only be a boost. 

Whoever wins out of Bull and Broncos next week I'll pencil in for a playoff spot. Mind you, I thought Widnes would sneak a playoff place with a kind fixture list and look how that has worked out. 

Saw the game Batley v Broncos and I think you will have to step up to beat them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/05/2021 at 13:26, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I was checking out the London squad player profiles the other day and was pleasantly surprised that the majority of the squad are from either the south or interestingly enough from the midlands.

I always thought that the broncos were in a good position to attract a few French players for their squad.

Seen loads of them come up from Skolars and Broncos youth set ups over the years. Youth RL does well down here in places, schools included . I'm a product of it myself 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

TO have an aging squad.

Think theres only 3 or 4 players under 30 in their whole squad, be burnt out come the playoffs. 

15 players of the squad are 30 or under . 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...