Ian Watson/Daryl Powell spat

New twist in the Toby King/Jake Wardle saga and some interesting comments regarding the reluctance from Wire to let King go on a permanent deal. I'd previously assumed the loan to Wigan was down to the large contract King was on at Wire, it begs the question - are Wire holding on to King in case Powell gets the boot next year?

These weird loan arrangements are ripe for a bit of bitterness or miscommunication. Looks like we are going to end up with no centre and our international one out on loan to a rival - great stuff.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Watson & Powell, 2 happy-go-lucky souls.

I bet a nite out with those 2 would be a real barrell of laffs.

Edited by Pete Grady
  • Haha 8

'The Invisble Man is at the door'.     'Tell him I can't see him'.      The late, great Tommy Cooper

I do think managerial spats are a way to get the sport more in the news, as the adage says, all publicity is good. It's no Contè and Tuchel but it's a start. Now we just need one of them headbutting the other.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 3

I think it’s just another example of the pressure, mainly self inflicted, that Powell is under. Finishing 11th is appalling for a club of Warrington’s size no matter how much you are trying to sort out and this is is probably just him trying to deflect from his own poor decision making

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pete Grady said:

Watson & Powell, 2 happy-go-lucky souls.

I bet a nite out with those 2 would be a real barrell of laffs.

I saw Watson in Christchurch Airport a couple of hours after GB's 3rd defeat when he was assistant coach on the '19 tour, he was a right miserable sod, do you think it could have been when I questioned him about how bad GB were on attack and I said your not much good on the offensive side without Paul Rowley are you?

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I saw Watson in Christchurch Airport a couple of hours after GB's 3rd defeat when he was assistant coach on the '19 tour, he was a right miserable sod, do you think it could have been when I questioned him about how bad GB were on attack and I said your not much good on the offensive side without Paul Rowley are you?

Did you really go on the 2019 GB tour,who’d have guessed.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

OK I saw Watson at piccadilly bus station, 

How else would I have got the story across.

It does kind of spoil the effect.

Anyone stuck at Piccadilly bus station has a right to be miserable.

• Haha 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Powell does seem to be as popular as a fart in a lift.

Have you ever farted in a lift? While the smell is bad enough it's the amplification of the noise that you really notice. You think you're going to let out a bit of a silent and violent one and it sounds like an elephant sneezing.

Just now, GUBRATS said:

He's hardly going to be at Piccadilly train station is he ? 

Not if he's going to Leigh. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

11 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

New twist in the Toby King/Jake Wardle saga and some interesting comments regarding the reluctance from Wire to let King go on a permanent deal. I'd previously assumed the loan to Wigan was down to the large contract King was on at Wire, it begs the question - are Wire holding on to King in case Powell gets the boot next year?

There's no spat, Watson just telling it how it is, Powell is a miserable sod!

• Like 1

Shame. Wardle has been great for Warrington during the second half of a truly awful campaign. 

This is a weird one. Wigan fans seemed convinced Wardle was heading there for 2023, then he goes on loan at Warrington with Hudds wanting to keep King. Then Wigan end up with King for 2023, with Warrington paying his wages. Yet Warrington want King back for 2024.

Nowt as queer as RL folk.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

2 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I don't rate King very highly am i missing something?.

It’s a strange one. King has been good in certain areas (such as offloads and high balls) and was one of the best centres in the league around 2019/2020. Then he signed a big money contract and sort of lost his mojo for some reason. Wardle has looked the far more complete player in Warrignton colours. I’m surprised that Hudds are willing to take King if he expects the same salary he’s currently on at Warrington. Maybe Hudds want Warrington to pay part of his salary even if he’s signed permanently with them, in which case I’d fully expect Warrington to not let him go.

Edited by Desert Skipper
  • Like 1

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

3 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

wardle's been ok, he's not been great, looks shakey in defence.

But the left edge was far leakier earlier in the season. At the Hudds game it was Thewlis’ dropped bombs that let the left side down. Thewlis has generally been pretty good this year though, even though he’s playing out of position and has had to switch between the two wings.