Sat 18th Feb: World Club Challenge: Penrith Panthers v St Helens KO 7:00 (UK Time) (Sky/C4)

Who will win?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Penrith Panthers
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/02/23 at 07:30

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

That was my point ... it shouldn't have been "normal"

I get what you are saying but I don’t think it was planned this way it’s just unfortunate. Let’s not forget the kick off was delayed 50 mins because of the expected heat. Plus the golden point really left them with no option. 

Congratulations to Saints, they were excellent today and thoroughly deserved the win. It felt really strange for me to be cheering so strongly for Saints as a Wigan fan but they did all of SL proud today.

It was one of the great WCC wins, up there with Wigan winning in Brisbane, and it is far more special to do it on Australian soil.

• Like 15

Just finished watching the recording. Lots of humble pie for me. 

I honestly thought they would lose by a decent margin.

Saints were absolutely marvellous. Very pleased i was wrong.

• Like 11

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

50 minutes ago, Oxford said:

How many times does Gus Gould have to eat his words before he thinks and then speaks?

You are, of course, making the assumption that he's capable of thought.

• Haha 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• Like 7
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Tweet

See new Tweets

Conversation

ITDxdcmd_bigger.jpg

Well done St Helens. That’s a mighty victory. Beat Panther to the punch early. Defended their lead with pride. Terrific stuff. Panther looked clunky but no excuses. They had months to prepare. St Helens too good on the night. Great result for Rugby League.

9:54 am · 18 Feb 2023·
Views

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

12 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Well doen Gus Gould. That's a mighty statement. Beat my post by miles. Ate your pride. Brilliant sentences. Your original thoughts were clunky but no excuses. You had hours to prepare. Well done for admitting you were wrong on the night and for before. Brilliant result for TGG!

Oxford@oxford February 18, 2023.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Haha 2

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

3 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

What's the betting this 'doesn't fit in the calendar' for the next couple of years for the Aussie teams.

I would like to see the same again next year with the SL winners going down under.

I think the pre season challenge is a good idea and more interesting than the normal trial games and with an odd number of NRL sides now, the Super League champions playing in both rounds works well.

• Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Fair play to him and pleased to see Gould tweet out some positive stuff about Saints and the game.  But I do like to see him proved wrong.

I shall be tagging him in a Tweet suggesting the Super League buy the NRL to raise the standards over there.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

18 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

What's the betting this 'doesn't fit in the calendar' for the next couple of years for the Aussie teams.

I think an English team winning in Australia can only be good for the WCC and will help to give it more credibility from an Australian perspective. It could really help to take the event up a level.

• Like 10

Amazing from St Helens, what a team.

Pleased for Walmsley and Dodd who missed the World Cup.

Pleased for Welsby, Makinson and the other England lads who had the disappointing World Cup.

Pleased for the NRL “rejects” in the Saints team who may have proved some doubters wrong.

Pleased for Hurrell who as a Super League neutral is one of my favourite characters and players to watch.

Pleased for Wellens sets himself up as coach.

Pleased for Super League and the English game.

• Like 13

What was really pleasing was the Saints defence, the way they built pressure and the way Saints hung on to win. We have seen time and again at international level English teams be dominant against the Aussies but not being able to turn the screw and falling short at the end. In many respects those last 10 minutes seemed to be following that pattern with Penrith scoring after a couple of poor drop goal attempts and an unlucky disallowed try for a forward pass. It was a all set for the English team putting on a plucky performance but being unlucky and falling short at the end script. Saints though managed to still hang on and keep their composure in Golden Point which was great to see from an English team.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

When that happened I thought they might go on to win.

Great display from Saints Oz tv moved on pretty quickly making a statement of their view of the games importance.

How many times does Gus Gould have to eat his words before he thinks and then speaks?

Goose Gould hates British people and British Rugby League