A little off-track but I think SKY's presentation is falling short due to there not being a magazine stlye programme like boots'n'all. The was the platform where many varied subjects could be discussed. Taking them away from the matchday presentation. This allowed the presenters to concentrate more on the game at hand.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

This all assumes that Myler was unaffected by the foul from Hurrell. So it would have been better if he leapt to his feet and Hurrell got away with it?

No, that's not my point, I am not assuming anything.  Of course Myler could well have been hurt... he probably was, it was a big head shot.

The point is that if players these days don't stay down in televised games to 'win' a penalty then it wouldn't be an issue.

This may not have been the right incident for Wilkin to call our gamesmanship in our sport but overall I am OK with him doing it.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Dovster said:

A little off-track but I think SKY's presentation is falling short due to there not being a magazine stlye programme like boots'n'all. The was the platform where many varied subjects could be discussed. Taking them away from the matchday presentation. This allowed the presenters to concentrate more on the game at hand.

Decent observation, that.

Sky's magazine programmes have all essentially vanished across all sports - soccer the exception but still much reduced.

It does mean, you're right, that the only time to discuss *anything* is the matchday presentation. At least the BBC have their red button forums (and, indeed, podcasts) to move issues to if they aren't appropriate for commentary.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Several points given overall reaction to Saints v Leeds

I'm not a fan of Wilkin so take this with a pinch of salt.

The drama around any decisions never helps. It feeds into the righteous indignation and anger that fans have in bucket loads.

The reaction from some Saints' Fans was interesting as it looked as though they had no coping strategies for decisions going against them.

• Like 3

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Several points given overall reaction to Saints v Leeds

I'm not a fan of Wilkin so take this with a pinch of salt.

The drama around any decisions never helps. It feeds into the righteous indignation and anger that fans have in bucket loads.

The reaction from some Saints' Fans was interesting as it looked as though they had no coping strategies for decisions going against them.

Very much that last part, they're so used to getting all the favourable decisions, that'll be why welsby ran in not even considering the fact it could backfire on him 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dovster said:

It also provided a little distance from the event passions.

And Sky has sadly been failing us for a while in this respect.

In their promo they said "We love RL!" , maybe it's time for us to ask them them to prove this is the case.

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

Wilkin's comments were appalling on that incident last night. 

Too many of the panel are vying to be funny/controversial/relevant. The actual model isn't working. The lead commentator should be speaking and then the others chirping in, yet the secondary guys are often taking the lead. Wilkin was discussing it before he had watched the replay. And made an idiot of himself. 

AGAIN !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dovster said:

The presentation is falling rapidly. I don’t believe that is because of the lack of magazine programme but because we’ve seen newcomers come in, in Channel 4, who are doing the basics right and highlighting how far Sky have dropped. They’ve a good lead commentator, they partner him with one of a selection of co-commentators who they rotate and have a panel of pundits that are relevant, insightful and don’t over-complicate or overly dumb down what they’re saying. They also show interviews and pieces on players playing in the game they’re about to show that often shows a bit more about them than the archetypal pre-match interview questions. The 4 coverage is hosted by someone passionate, interesting, funny and good to watch. Even BBC have that.

Compare and contrast to Sky, I struggle to think of any positives other than the money they give the game. Carney is the best of a bad, bad bunch but is by no means a presenter. Bill Arthur must be one of the poorest commentators in any sport, the co-commentators, of which there are too many at any given time, are battling to be funny, controversial and insightful but manage to fail at all of the above, looking quite poor and being a poor representation of the game. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hindle xiii said:

I have to admit I tire of Wilkin very quickly when he is on the BBC tv coverage, particularly with Mark Chapman. Jon's intent on banter as either the initial or secondary input grates on me heavily.

I quite like his humour and generally I like him .....just wish he'd take the Saints training gear off

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

The presentation is falling rapidly. I don’t believe that is because of the lack of magazine programme but because we’ve seen newcomers come in, in Channel 4, who are doing the basics right and highlighting how far Sky have dropped. They’ve a good lead commentator, they partner him with one of a selection of co-commentators who they rotate and have a panel of pundits that are relevant, insightful and don’t over-complicate or overly dumb down what they’re saying. They also show interviews and pieces on players playing in the game they’re about to show that often shows a bit more about them than the archetypal pre-match interview questions. The 4 coverage is hosted by someone passionate, interesting, funny and good to watch. Even BBC have that.

Compare and contrast to Sky, I struggle to think of any positives other than the money they give the game. Carney is the best of a bad, bad bunch but is by no means a presenter. Bill Arthur must be one of the poorest commentators in any sport, the co-commentators, of which there are too many at any given time, are battling to be funny, controversial and insightful but manage to fail at all of the above, looking quite poor and being a poor representation of the game. 

Disagree....I liked Sky's coverage last night 

13 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

People would complain about him after a couple of seasons

I doubt it...

...would take that long. :kolobok_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Yeah I find Wilkin unbearable at times. He tries too hard to be funny and "one of the lads" all the time. It's the wrong audience for it.

I watched the Out Of Your League podcast the other day and he was just constantly cutting people off with attempts at humour. Fitzpatrick did very well to just crack on. He needs to tone it down a lot.

He is up for sports pundit of tge year. 

He is charming, intelliegent, relevant and insightful

• Haha 3

I thought the presentation was fine too, it was just Wilkin's input on commentary that wound me up. I sometimes find Jenna to go a bit too Isabel Oakeshott when I just want to hear what the coaches thought, but generally it is fine. I like the idea of a magazine show but in practice I wouldn't find the time to watch it during the week, so I like having the look across the league in one place.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

32 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I sometimes find Jenna to go a bit too Isabel Oakeshott

Does she do other impressions or is she a one Tory Pony?

11 hours ago, Dave T said:

Wilkin's comments were appalling on that incident last night. 

Too many of the panel are vying to be funny/controversial/relevant. The actual model isn't working. The lead commentator should be speaking and then the others chirping in, yet the secondary guys are often taking the lead. Wilkin was discussing it before he had watched the replay. And made an idiot of himself. 

Agree. I've said this before about Wilkin, but he's a bright pundit who lets himself down trying to go for the "hot take" remark. He doesn't need to be some low-rent TalkSport pundit - he's better than that. 

• Like 4

Can't do with him personally, his horrible tone in a Hull accent is hard to listen to.

Plus him praising Myler for cheating against us last year didn't go down too well with me and many others.

• Sad 1

Wilkin is an @r$e, he is capable of better but insists on being an @r$e.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.