Derek Beaumont: 'Ditch Super League and call it Ultimate Rugby!'

Ultimate? Nah.

What about....Excellent, Glorious, Magnificent, Marvellous, etc.

Either have an adjective at the front, or drop it for The Rugby League, with a logo that suits. 

20 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

European Rugby League.

The ERL

Its not a European League it's a UK league that limits the number of international teams to two and forces one of them pay all travel costs of their opposition 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Why is everything he says turned into news?

Because there is that little promotion of the game by the RFL, SKY and national press that Callum Walker seems to do a click bait article everytime Derek gets out of bed in a morning it seems.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

https://www.totalrl.com/leigh-leopards-owner-derek-beaumont-comes-up-with-idea-for-new-super-league-name/ 

For the review I think Ultimate Rugby sounds naff. Its a no from me, stick to leopard print rebrands. 

Not for me either it sounds like a really amateur computer game.

RFL grand final and RFL cup final sounds alright though.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

What’s wrong with

The Rugby League 

Let’s own the name.

OK - in case you are being serious, I'll answer you.

The entire world thinks of a different sport when they hear the word "rugby".

Literally nobody (statistically speaking) thinks of League when they hear rugby mentioned.

I appreciate the story is different in towns like Widnes and Dewsbury, but there is actually a huge world beyond those places, and if the game wants to remain viable as a professional sport, it needs to grow beyond its current, scarily inward-looking, supporter base. 

"Owning the name" (rugby) is a nonsensical fantasy. That ship sailed about 25 years ago. 

Edited by Madrileño
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

OK - in case you are being serious, I'll answer you.

The entire world thinks of a different sport when they hear the word "rugby".

Literally nobody (statistically speaking) thinks of League when they hear rugby mentioned.

I appreciate the story is different in towns like Widnes and Dewsbury, but there is actually a huge world beyond those places, and if the game wants to remain viable as a professional sport, it needs to grow beyond its current, scarily inward-looking, supporter base. 

"Owning the name" (rugby) is a nonsensical fantasy. That ship sailed about 25 years ago. 

Could you please not tell the people of my town that, they do not need this kind of Truman Show realisation.

• Haha 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Sounds like a governing body.

NRL? EFL? EPL? IPL? UCL? NFL? NHL? NBA? MLB? 

Most have an air of "governing body" around them but often because the comp and the governing body are very close and/or the same.

2 words

RUGBY LEAGUE

Simples. 

Every other sport when talking about us refers to Rugby league. Its our sport lets own it. We were never Super league that was just a sky sports label for the top division. 

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

NRL? EFL? EPL? IPL? UCL? NFL? NHL? NBA? MLB? 

Most have an air of "governing body" around them but often because the comp and the governing body are very close and/or the same.

Almost all of these don't though and specifically include the word league to denote a sports league.

Rugby League is the name of the sport. European Rugby League sounds like a governing body. The word League in our sports name is a major issue in these things and is terrible for differentation. That is why we end up with RU comps like the Japan Rugby League.