TV Deal to conclude end of June

18 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Wonder who leaked the story and why, when it's coming out this afternoon, seemingly.

Our friend from Bradford announced this last night. Looks like there’s a loose lipped Yorkshire based chair who’s got a view. https://x.com/thegamecaller/status/1693637254374203471?s=46&t=b849PUv2ZRKbUA8BMhadSw

• Haha 1

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

46 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Absolutely correct. People just won't pay in significant numbers to make it work. Something everyone is missing is that streaming has already been tried on OurLeague. For most matches clubs are lucky to break even. It's just not a viable option at present. 

Not sure that Championship, League 1 and National Conference games are a fair comparator. Not sure how many SL games have been shown or what their audience has been. Would be imteresting to see some stats.

• Like 1

030910105148.jpg

33 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Sorry, we've had annual inflation running at close to 10% in the period since the last deal. A cash cut since the past deal means some serious damage to club and player incomes; there is no positive here whatsoever.

I'm no mathematician but 10% inflation since last deal means spending power is 90% of what it was. So 23million now is worth the same as 20.7 million previously. So in real terms a cut in spending power of 4m more or less.

23 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I'm no mathematician but 10% inflation since last deal means spending power is 90% of what it was. So 23million now is worth the same as 20.7 million previously. So in real terms a cut in spending power of 4m more or less.

The actual inflation from January 2022 to date is actually closer to 13.5% and don’t forget the last 2 year deal was a reduction on the one before. 

Since January 2017 to date, the effective inflation rate is 35%. Factor in a reduction in actual deals, it’s clear what the trajectory is.

If the next 3 years doesn’t ring bells, I suspect the game will be semi-pro even at the top.

030910105148.jpg

55 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Our friend from Bradford announced this last night. Looks like there’s a loose lipped Yorkshire based chair who’s got a view. https://x.com/thegamecaller/status/1693637254374203471?s=46&t=b849PUv2ZRKbUA8BMhadSw

If a chair is speaking to him, more fool them. And more fool whoever decides on the Tweet of the Week in League Express this week for giving him the publicity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

If the next 3 years doesn’t ring bells, I suspect the game will be semi-pro even at the top.

England will then not have the talent pool needed to be tier1,  we'll be ranked with the Greeces and Lebanons. NRL fair dinkum Aussies  with English heritage will play for England to compensate for the lack of top talent and we'll win the World Cup ! It's actually a cunning plan.

download.jpeg.4633ee61b3127ff3245c0d0ea03a337e.jpeg

Edited by HawkMan

1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

The actual inflation from January 2022 to date is actually closer to 13.5% and don’t forget the last 2 year deal was a reduction on the one before. 

Since January 2017 to date, the effective inflation rate is 35%. Factor in a reduction in actual deals, it’s clear what the trajectory is.

Not sure using the average rate of consumer price inflation gives the best result.  How have a clubs costs actually  been affected? How have Sky's actual costs been affected.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark S said:

The sport should not be relying on TV money to be the only source of income. The RFL needs to look at how they can sell games as events. Unfortunately, unless they bring in a seriously world class marketing person, who would costs a lot of money, it isn’t going to happen. 

I’ve heard the RFL are looking to really up their game on events and after realising double and triple headers maybe are not the future they will instead move to Quadruple Header fixtures  in an effort to engage a new audience.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

I don't see a problem with this at all. There are certain clubs that constantly moan the salary cap is cramping their development. I presume they must have a massive amount of surplus funds that they are not being allowed to spend. Surely this cash reserve  at those clubs will easily cover the difference in the sky money.

5 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

One idea if that is the case is to just take the 1m from the promoted Championship team.

Or from the relegated SL club?

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

I don't see a problem with this at all. There are certain clubs that constantly moan the salary cap is cramping their development. I presume they must have a massive amount of surplus funds that they are not being allowed to spend. Surely this cash reserve  at those clubs will easily cover the difference in the sky money.

I realise you jest, but they will cover it - unfortunately that is only true for four or five clubs.

That means gap will grow wider between top and bottom in SL.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Which clubs constantly complain about the salary cap? 

It's genuinely not a regular thing I hear from clubs. 

2 hours ago, BadlyOverdrawnBoy said:

The players are consumers. They will only take so much real terms pay cuts before they look for another career path. They owe that to their families.

Of course they are  but what  do they consume? Same as you? Same as me? The average rate of inflation applies to hardly anyone. It depends what you spend your money on. Some affected more than others. So again, what inflation rate applies to YOUR CLUB? What proportion of a clubs costs are player wages? What inflation rate applies to Sky's costs?  It might be more than 13% if you drink a lot of diesel, for example. So sure, inflation affects us all, but in different ways, and it affects rugby league clubs in different ways.   Should the salary cap rise in line with the published inflation figure  and if so is that adding to inflationary pressure if clubs put up ticket prices to pay for player salary increases?  Does the published inflation figure take account of higher ticket prices?

Edited by JohnM

1 hour ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I’ve heard the RFL are looking to really up their game on events and after realising double and triple headers maybe are not the future they will instead move to Quadruple Header fixtures  in an effort to engage a new audience.

I heard magic weekend will become magic day. All fixtures will be played on one day. This will save on costs but also create an extravaganza of rugby where they have a Sextuple Header. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Every game live, in UK and worldwide. 

Allows for VR at every game. 

Continued fta coverage. 

Details to be confirmed during next 30 days. 

Having every game broadcast with a VR at every game is a massive step forward. for a League with only 6 games per week, and the majority only having two games filmed and shown at broadcast standard has always looked tinpot to me.

• Like 1

Does this mean the end of there being at least 4 games being played on a Friday night with hardly any played on a a Sunday? The reason for this we are always being told is most clubs like Friday nights for hospitality reasons or dislike Sundays because of a short turnaround to the next game which might be on a Thursday/Friday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

So they are paying less to broadcast 3x the games?

Or when they say all broadcast live does it mean not all by Sky?

Are we losing FTA / C4?

I'd be surprised if Sky are broadcasting all games. I think it's poor if we have given them 6 games for less than the price of 2. 

I expect it'll mean streaming.