Carcassonne XIII confirms it wants to join English competition

eal

7 hours ago, The Daddy said:

If your team is unable to finance playing in a national or international competition they should do exactly what London Skolars did and go play in a regional league, it's that simple. 

So your answer to promoting a sustainable third tier is a substantial increase in costs of operation shortly after withdrawing almost all central funding. You are not an accountant by any chance are you?

Obviously for some teams seeing the third tier struggle is advantageous in terms of reducing potential competition. Nothing like having London to yourselves. Even more grounds you could call home.

• Like 1

I have no issue with Carcassonne joining the English competition but I have an issue with how teams in the past - both UK based and abroad - have joined in a non-planned manner.

IMG have openly stated that the new concept will have 2 non UK teams.  But there is no reason as to why a third French team or from another country cannot be welcomed in future years if they achieve Grade A criteria.  Therefore I would outline a time scale to say that, for example, 2027 an opportunity may arise for a European Team - subject to increased income into the game - to enter SL.  This gives time for all prospective teams to plan ahead and have everything in place to be sustainable.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Here we go again just to make it very clear and not being negative here having been at the coalface for over 25 years a French TV deal for CASH will never happen at best TV will pay for production costs which hasn't happened now for a while.

Carcassonne go then we lose a couple of Aude derbies it would be better to simply have a Anglo French Cup every year.

P

What does the French League 1 look like? Are there five matches every weekend or is it more haphazard than that like memory serves me?

Still no demand to move the season to the summer?

Any guess where last year’s Limoux and Carcassonne would finish in the Championship?

33 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

What does the French League 1 look like? Are there five matches every weekend or is it more haphazard than that like memory serves me?

Any guess where last year’s Limoux and Carcassonne would finish in the Championship?

Standards are higher having watched St Esteve v Pia last night both teams would finish a comfortable 6 to 10 i would say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Last season it was essentially five games every weekend unless there was some reason one wasn't played - that would get caught up during one of the free weekends that are in the fixture list or when other teams were playing in the cup.

I think the heat would be an issue with the summer - Catalans and Toulouse deal with it, but why make problems for Elite 1 in that regard when they can play in winter instead?

I watched the Carcassonne v Avignon live stream yesterday and have watched quite a lot of championship games this year. I was surprised by the number of handling errors yesterday (perhaps down to it being the first game of the season?)

Avignon were worse than every championship team I've watched this year. Of the teams I've seen I reckon yesterday's Carcassonne team looked better than Newcastle but worse than Barrow and those higher up the Championship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Last season it was essentially five games every weekend unless there was some reason one wasn't played - that would get caught up during one of the free weekends that are in the fixture list or when other teams were playing in the cup.

I think the heat would be an issue with the summer - Catalans and Toulouse deal with it, but why make problems for Elite 1 in that regard when they can play in winter instead?

I watched the Carcassonne v Avignon live stream yesterday and have watched quite a lot of championship games this year. I was surprised by the number of handling errors yesterday (perhaps down to it being the first game of the season?)

Avignon were worse than every championship team I've watched this year. Of the teams I've seen I reckon yesterday's Carcassonne team looked better than Newcastle but worse than Barrow and those higher up the Championship.

Avignon short so early - 2 brothers from (North Sydney Bears) D & M Francis haven't arrived also their international centre in Carre who played in Serbia

Edited by audois
  • Like 1

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

On 29/09/2023 at 17:42, JM2010 said:

Would they join League 1 or go straight into Championship?

There may be only one division in 2025.

• Like 3

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Yeah, that’s where I’d say the standard is but there are some hidden gems in there with players like Lacans at Fev and another lad who’s name escapes me at Hull developing from Elite 1.
imo the way forward for France is to develop their own leagues.  If we look at Catalans, there will be a bunch of good youngsters being rejected every year.  Some of these will be late developers who could strengthen Limoux, Les Sangliers, Albi, St.Gaudens etc.

A competition between the top 4 French and top 4 UK League 1 every year would show a good benchmark to work from.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Bamboozle said:

French teams entering and playing in the uk system should be from cities and big towns in expansion areas like Lyon, Marseille and Montpellier etc.

leave the traditional heartland clubs in elite1 to keep it strong.

I can see an argument for that. However it would require strategy and long term thinking; both of which Northern Hemisphere RL has lacked for quite some time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I can see an argument for that. However it would require strategy and long term thinking; both of which Northern Hemisphere RL has lacked for quite some time.

Sad but true.

It should have obvious to everybody and especially the FFR13 that elite1 isn’t capable of expanding into new areas and the big cities due to finances.

On 29/09/2023 at 17:51, Damien said:

This again goes back to what is the end goal here? If it isn't to ultimately be a SL club then what is the point? Will 3 French SL clubs, including Toulouse, be allowed in SL? There needs to be plan and agreement around this.

This isn't going to be good for the French league but I can understand why Carcassonne wish to do it. I'm not sure with the way the lower leagues are going funding wise that this is going to work. I know this is all part of the IMG process but for me there needs to be a bigger plan, and agreement, on the future of British and French Rugby League. I just wish that French RL had more to bring to the table in terms of funding and a TV deal to get people on board. For me personally I think the goal has to be a French conference but its pretty hard to argue for that when the money isn't there in France to fund it.

It would help funding in the championship if they self fund like toulouse do. More for the English clubs to share.

3 French clubs and can start to look at a TV deal in France.

4 overseas clubs and 8 UK clubs is the way forward for  SL !

12 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Avignon have long looked desperate for a proper half back. Playing Arnaud (a centre) and Ghanem (made his name as a winger) really stifles them.

I'm sure that when reality hits Carcassonne with the costs involved for them entering the British system common sense will prevail.

Having to pay visiting teams costs for every home game will deter them, like it would even British teams. Its not going to happen.

I'm of the opinion that the Championship and League 1 will amalgamate in the not too distant future as a stand alone League 1 has no future now with West Wales dropping out last season and London Skolars this season

• Like 1

On 01/10/2023 at 10:46, audois said:

Avignon short so early - 2 brothers from (North Sydney Bears) D & M Francis haven't arrived also their international centre in Carre who played in Serbia

Picked-up further that Avignon played with two players from Salon (Elite 2) Saturday winger Pourchi and a forward I think in Chevalier 

I must say I was about to leave the ground in half an hour as Carcassonne where already 3O points up. The vistors won the second half by 12 points! (30-12 at the end)

Edited by audois

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

21 hours ago, Bamboozle said:

French teams entering and playing in the uk system should be from cities and big towns in expansion areas like Lyon, Marseille and Montpellier etc.

leave the traditional heartland clubs in elite1 to keep it strong.

Avignon may not be an expansion area, in a French context, but is one of the bigger places in Elite 1 (and I don't think currently has a professional soccer team).  Now the SO Avignon club president, ex-Catalans player Younes Khattabi, has said that his dream would be to steer the club into Super league:

Elite 1 - Younes Khattabi rêve de Super League pour Avignon - Rugby à XIII - Treize Mondial

• Like 3

I think there is more an issue with the system allowing for fixtures over a distance rather than an issue with Carcassonne joining, and I tend to agree.

I think it's immensely important that we have a system that allows clubs on small budgets to be sustainable, progress and grow; as well as ambitious clubs to invest and achieve accelerated progression regardless of whether they're from Barcelona or West Yorkshire. We don't currently have that. We have a mixture of different level teams traveling huge distances, failing to establish themselves and losing interest as a result. It's an utter failure of a system that isn't benefiting anyone and adding Carcassonne into that mix won't help.

Beneath SL, IMO there needs to be a larger emphasis on regionality, with opportunity for national/intercontinental competition. Eastern, Western, Southern and French divisions that come together at the end will hopefully stop everyone complaining about travel. We focus so much on player development that we ignore the establishments need to actually generate them!

• Like 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

21 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Avignon may not be an expansion area, in a French context, but is one of the bigger places in Elite 1 (and I don't think currently has a professional soccer team).  Now the SO Avignon club president, ex-Catalans player Younes Khattabi, has said that his dream would be to steer the club into Super league:

Elite 1 - Younes Khattabi rêve de Super League pour Avignon - Rugby à XIII - Treize Mondial

Younes still looks like he was when scoring for the Dragons at Wembley back in 2006 against Saints

• Like 1

On 29/09/2023 at 17:14, eal said:

Any chance of Carcassonne having the resources to follow Toulouse and Catalans into the English system?

https://treizemondial.fr/carcassonne-xiii-confirme-vouloir-filer-en-angleterre-en-2025/?fbclid=IwAR20G6ZWltGZqJsPKrK_3EWThks7tzmFJbL9iPyIh91UqsnjI1zg6HvYkjw

I'd love nothing more than an annual trip to Carcassonne, ideally mid-summer... the sooner we get them into Super League the better! ☀️ 🏰 🍷 😃

carcassonne.jpg

• Like 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

I may be missing something but some quick maths shows why they shouldn’t have to completely pay for opposing teams travel to enter the league.

For every away game there’s a home game, 800 people paying £15 ( not including bar / food / merch etc) is £12,000 in receipts. After paying the players there’s £7,000 left which is £318 each to get 22 people to France and back. 

I know there’s extra costs for the home game but they could be covered by sponsorship / merch / drink / food and it seems to work!

Get 1,000 gate them you’re really laughing.

• Confused 1