Sat 24th Feb: WCC: Wigan Warriors v Penrith Panthers KO 8pm (Sky/BBC/SuperLeague+)

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Penrith Panthers by 1 to 6 points
    • Penrith Panthers by 7 to 12 points
    • Penrith Panthers by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/02/24 at 20:30

5 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

He’s just been on the BBC as the Betfred player of the match. 

Harry Smith was the player of the match announced at the ground.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why can't we just celebrate Wigan winning such an exciting and high intensity game against Australia's strongest and best team? Instead, too many focus on the refs decisions and not on the actual game and the way it's played. I mean, it's not a if the moaners were at the game, or are better qualified as refs  than us true fans. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I’m the one who’ll be watching rugby league next year. You’ve pledged not to.

If it carrys on the way it is doing now and the underarm rules come in, you won't be watching Rugby League as we know it, it will be some kind of plastic sanitised version, hand on heart ginger one what is the better rules to watch what we have witnessed in the last two weeks or this tonight?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I thought Smith won it? 🤷🏼

They took it off him after the two extra sets he gifted Penrith following the original announcement. 😉

Edited by Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Haha 4

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Just now, Hopie said:

Six again, refs call, both total rubbish that should be taken out of the game. 

Ref has made some poor calls in that game, which Wigan took advantage of, that and a few other things, to win the game.

But it was an entertaining game, the last play bringing back memories of those leads lost by British sides to Australian sides over the years. 

Lets see 24k crowds for Rugby League at the DW more often!

I don't think refs call should necessarily go, I just think it would be easy enough to add a 3rd option for when the ref genuinely doesn't know to avoid the times when refs have to guess. There will always be an element of bias one way or another, it used to be given as 'benefit of the doubt'.

3 minutes ago, Roy Haggerty said:

Look, I think that there were some hard decisions which went against Penrith consistently tonight: the Wardle try, the last minute try, the forward pass try, the ball steal, a couple of ‘knock ons’ at the ptb etc. But that’s why home advantage matters: crowds don’t shout for their own team’s forward passes.

If Penrith are honest though, they’ll need to look to themselves. They dominated territory, and looked stronger throughout, but they couldn’t do anything with it. Butchered two certain tries with an easy drop and then trying to outrun Field instead of passing to support. And the kicking game to get repeat sets was non-existent. 

They could and should have won even with the unfavourable decisions. The fact they didn’t is on them, really  

Perfect summary.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roy Haggerty said:

Look, I think that there were some hard decisions which went against Penrith consistently tonight: the Wardle try, the last minute try, the forward pass try, the ball steal, a couple of ‘knock ons’ at the ptb etc. But that’s why home advantage matters: crowds don’t shout for their own team’s forward passes.

If Penrith are honest though, they’ll need to look to themselves. They dominated territory, and looked stronger throughout, but they couldn’t do anything with it. Butchered two certain tries with an easy drop and then trying to outrun Field instead of passing to support. And the kicking game to get repeat sets was non-existent. 

They could and should have won even with the unfavourable decisions. The fact they didn’t is on them, really  

Bang on the money. Penrith can only blame themselves for not converting all that you mention. Wigan were far more clinical 

I tell you what, Nathan Cleary looks good in a Wigan shirt.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

I don't think so, the 2nd try was a clear forward pass, 3rd try was short and a double movement. 

A ref not understanding the rules he is officiating to (with the ball steal) is pretty unforgivable incompetence tbh.

Wigan got the rub of the green no doubt about that. The two tries that went up to the VR were basically identical IMO. Both could've been given and both could've been chalked off.

However, a couple of hard to take decisions doesn't even get close to corruption. The last two penalties given to Penrith (interference and resetting the tackle count) weren't clear cut decisions and if they were given in reverse would be examples of favouritism.

• Like 4

Just now, Northern Eel said:

I'll tell you what. That was a classy interview from Ivan Cleary there.

Aye. It's just sport at end of day and whilst we love it, it's just part of life. 

Nathan signing autographs as well. Good eggs. 

• Like 4

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Why can't we just celebrate Wigan winning such an exciting and high intensity game against Australia's strongest and best team? Instead, too many focus on the refs decisions and not on the actual game and the way it's played. I mean, it's not a if the moaners were at the game, or are better qualified as refs  than us true fans. 

Because they are a talking point ona discussion forum. Were not all here to blow smoke up Wigans backside

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

I don't think refs call should necessarily go, I just think it would be easy enough to add a 3rd option for when the ref genuinely doesn't know to avoid the times when refs have to guess. There will always be an element of bias one way or another, it used to be given as 'benefit of the doubt'.

Cricket has removed the umpire giving their opinion on catches in the deep for this exact reason. They haven’t seen so it’s for the video to decide.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)