21-22 July: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can’t see Featherstone making the 4 now. They’re on a poor run of form and will be low on confidence. Toronto will probably rest some but I still think they’ll be keen to put on a show and ultimately have too much for them

3 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

That's our season over,but take nothing away from London or fax,especially the latter,great season for them and a big well done from me!

ASsuming Fev lose on Sat, then we just need one of the other 3 to slip up....Best chance is probanly London losing at Barrow

4 minutes ago, Quinskolar said:

And Sky are still not interested !

Interested enough to make damn sure nobody else gets their hands on the property, which is, I suppose, something of a compliment. But still it rankles that the second tier of our sport can't even get the amount of coverage that the NCL does.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

12 months ago Featherstone parted company with Jon Sharp.

It doesn't seem to have worked out too well,since.

Glad someone brought that up!

Sacked Jon Sharp because the chairman didn't like their brand of rugby - after he got them into the Top 4...

Wonder what he thinks about their 'brand of rugby' this season?

1 hour ago, Lobbygobbler said:

ASsuming Fev lose on Sat, then we just need one of the other 3 to slip up....Best chance is probanly London losing at Barrow

Barrow have been shocking recently but they can put on a performance at home. 

This may be premature, but London and Halifax deserve a lot of praise.

London were been tipped for 10th at the start of the year by some not-too-sensible tippers, and not too many sensible tipsters would have put them in the top 4 after losing Henderson and some key players. A month or so ago they were outside the top 4 with a horror run in, but managed to get away points at Toulouse and Fev and a home with against Fax. With that form they deserve a place in the Middle 8's. Surely they won't blow it against Barrow now?

Same for Halifax. There are teams with bigger budgets and full time squads, but have made it back-to-back top 4 finishes. They seem to be a well-run club that live within their means, invest in youth/reserves and are reaping their rewards.

Richard Marshall is surely getting interest from Super League clubs now, and with another good year, then Danny Ward may be too.

20 minutes ago, wonderofwood said:

Depends how many players Leigh loan them for next week !!!

That would do Barrow no good whatsoever, over the season with the exception of three or four players Leigh have been abysmal, far to many of the players had ego's and reputations far in excess of their abillities, they haven't now, fully deserving of 6th position.

Wow what a Day!  The table and hope and fear of many revolved a few times to is afternoon. Massive result for London and doubt many 4 weeks ago Expected them to be in the top 4 with one game to go. Similar for Fax.  Hopefully Both win next week.I doubt London are strong enough to get into SL.

Again Rich Marshall looks to have performed miracles on a budget a fraction of that of atleast 5 sides. IF they beat Rochdale-which will not be easy-then Fax have fully deserved to be in the top 4 and is a rewarding for using a reserve team and bringIng through the likes of Butler, Barber, Jones, Woodburn-Hall etc instead of relyIng on big names and maybe over reliance on Dual Regs especially this past month compared to others.

Looking at the table as is, whoever is 5th and 6th next week will be able to loose all 7 games in the bottom 8 without finishing out of the top two in that competition. After all the excitement of chasing top 4, that's going to be huge anticlimax for them. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

40 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Looking at the table as is, whoever is 5th and 6th next week will be able to loose all 7 games in the bottom 8 without finishing out of the top two in that competition. After all the excitement of chasing top 4, that's going to be huge anticlimax for them. 

Some of the players might be playing for a contract next season as motivation, but a good point. They will just be playing to decide whether they will face 3rdor 4th.

30 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Some of the players might be playing for a contract next season as motivation, but a good point. They will just be playing to decide whether they will face 3rdor 4th.

Proof that this system just hasn’t worked for the bottom end of the championship. Roll on normality 

Abysmal performance again today from Leigh , our current squad has to be the ' dumbest ' I've ever seen at the club , and I'm begining to think that includes the coaching staff as well

We've ended up where we deserve

It’s not over yet.  Fev win as Toronto rest players ( not a good marketing decision though for the home crowd / PR ), and Toulouse loose to Dewsbury at home ( unthinkable but TO are hot/cold can throw games ),  and London pile on the points difference irrespective to finish second. 

What then ?  Nothing’s certain. 

3 minutes ago, Snowman123 said:

It’s not over yet.  Fev win as Toronto rest players ( not a good marketing decision though for the home crowd / PR ), and Toulouse loose to Dewsbury at home ( unthinkable but TO are hot/cold can throw games ),  and London pile on the points difference irrespective to finish second. 

What then ?  Nothing’s certain. 

You really think Dewsbury have a chance of beating Toulouse at Toulouse? 

4 minutes ago, Snowman123 said:

It’s not over yet.  Fev win as Toronto rest players ( not a good marketing decision though for the home crowd / PR ), and Toulouse loose to Dewsbury at home ( unthinkable but TO are hot/cold can throw games ).

I think you are being a tad harsh on your own side there; you are still 2nd in the table in an extremely competitive top 6 sides. 

Archived