Leigh to ignore Salary Cap

I would increase the cap across all divisions - £1.85m with the same rules and other aspects for parity purposes. It is pie-in-the-sky thinking from some clubs but at least it would shut them up. What I do have an issue with is clubs like Leigh gobbing off and threatening legal action when things don't go their own way. They elected for this current system didn't they? They now have to deal with the consequences.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would increase the cap across all divisions - £1.85m with the same rules and other aspects for parity purposes. It is pie-in-the-sky thinking from some clubs but at least it would shut them up. What I do have an issue with is clubs like Leigh gobbing off and threatening legal action when things don't go their own way. They elected for this current system didn't they? They now have to deal with the consequences.

Some of the things that happened were not anticipated imo, eg wakfield throwing the season then panic buying a new team and coach, Leigh getting 3 SL clubs as the first 3 games, plus getting 3 of 4 home games as TV Sat 3pm

Agree with the SC, let it be the same so if someone wants to throw his cash at a chance of glory, he has a decent chance of a return 

Leigh have simply been poor in the middle 8's. It's not about anticapiting events it's about them performing on the field and they haven't.

That said I think the playing field in terms of the middle 8's does need some leveling. It was always going to be an issue and is a complex one to resolve.

Some of the things that happened were not anticipated imo, eg wakfield throwing the season then panic buying a new team and coach, Leigh getting 3 SL clubs as the first 3 games, plus getting 3 of 4 home games as TV Sat 3pm.

Those sound like excuses for Leigh not being good enough so far in the 8s and your chairman spitting his dummy out as he hasn't got his own way. Nobody has broken any rules so your Chairman should have the humility to take it on the chin. Leigh still have the opportunity to press ahead and win promotion without resorting to childish antics and comments; many people would respect him and the club far more.

Leigh have simply been poor in the middle 8's. It's not about anticapiting events it's about them performing on the field and they haven't.

That said I think the playing field in terms of the middle 8's does need some leveling. It was always going to be an issue and is a complex one to resolve.

Not really, we could/should have beat both Wakefield and HKR - and had we had a VR at Salford may well have won that one if we had gone ahead in the first half. The poor performance was against Fax. 

Those sound like excuses for Leigh not being good enough so far in the 8s and your chairman spitting his dummy out as he hasn't got his own way. Nobody has broken any rules so your Chairman should have the humility to take it on the chin. Leigh still have the opportunity to press ahead and win promotion without resorting to childish antics and comments; many people would respect him and the club far more.

He has took it on the chin and decided what he needs to get up next year, a better squad

The interesting thing is if it goes to a court of law, which I believe is where it is heading, as opposed to the Kangaroo Court of West Yorkshire. If the court decides it is wrong it would very difficult for the RFL not to change its rules imo

Why bring the Aussies into this?  ;)

eg wakfield throwing the season then panic buying a new team and coach,

A strange point to say Leigh have signed a fair few players this season and are now talking about breaking the Cap to sign more. Talk about panic.

@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

Not the right way to do it but he is right. The middle 8 is ridiculous and will never see anyone promoted

Perhaps, but you could also say that the Championship funding structure is ridiculous and heavily weighted in favour of guaranteeing the same clubs at least get a shot at it.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Not really, we could/should have beat both Wakefield and HKR - and had we had a VR at Salford may well have won that one if we had gone ahead in the first half. The poor performance was against Fax.

The Salford comment is complete tripe - just look back at the match thread

Leigh weren't conned or anything else due to a lack of VR

What the club intends is both stupid and doing things in the wrong way and will hurt Leigh. I cant understand anybody who thinks this is a good idea from Leigh. The reason Leigh have struggled in the 8s, has nothing to do with the size of the Cap or anything the RFL has done to stop the Leigh club progressing. Halifax have spent probably a third of what Leigh have spent and have performed way better than Leigh in the series and smashed Leigh off the park last week. A bigger Salary Cap is not going to change that. Maybe Leighs problem is they have peaked too early and the great Cup run has not been good. Leigh have a Quality Squad that on paper could and should have beaten Halifax and other teams including SL ones. The fact they havent lies maybe with the Leigh Coaching Squad. Buying alleged top players will not guarentee Leigh or anybody success and the sooner they realise and accept that the better for all.

What the club intends is both stupid and doing things in the wrong way and will hurt Leigh. I cant understand anybody who thinks this is a good idea from Leigh. The reason Leigh have struggled in the 8s, has nothing to do with the size of the Cap or anything the RFL has done to stop the Leigh club progressing. Halifax have spent probably a third of what Leigh have spent and have performed way better than Leigh in the series and smashed Leigh off the park last week. A bigger Salary Cap is not going to change that. Maybe Leighs problem is they have peaked too early and the great Cup run has not been good. Leigh have a Quality Squad that on paper could and should have beaten Halifax and other teams including SL ones. The fact they havent lies maybe with the Leigh Coaching Squad. Buying alleged top players will not guarentee Leigh or anybody success and the sooner they realise and accept that the better for all.

Funny you mention 'coaching'. When Leigh didn't have the 'best' squad in the Championship they struggled to perform against the better teams and many of the Leigh posters on their forum on RLFans wanted rid of Rowley because he couldn't outsmart his opponents tactically. Now, in the middle 8s he's back to not having the best squad and.............

i can hear the begging buckets being polished ready for action

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Whats the PL cap? Life says the poor people live in the basic houses, if you want a better house then graft for one.

Do you own a straw man manufacturing business?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

How do Leigh fans think they would have done if they had held on to beat us in the opening game?

haha the millon pound question that keeps rattling round my head but i still cant give you a genuine answer.

Ill have a guess tho and say we'd now be sat on 8 points & tomorrows gate would top 10k because the game could see us promoted

Perhaps, but you could also say that the Championship funding structure is ridiculous and heavily weighted in favour of guaranteeing the same clubs at least get a shot at it.

True though you could also say the same about challenge cup and SL prize money.

Personally I think the funding should be the same in the championship for all clubs

Archived