Jump to content
costa

My husband refereed a Super League game tonight and was abused

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Sad reality is a lot of fans would rather focus they're frustrations on the referee than take a look at the inadequacy of their own darling team.

i recall a game I went to in 2018 which James Child's was refereeing. Within 10mins of the game starting the home fans were on his back. In those 10mins he'd blown his whistle three times for infringements. On that day he didn't stand a chance with those home fans.

The constant tinkering with rule interpretations has not helped the refs. Far too many grey areas. It started with the 1-on-1 strip and steadily got worse with the PTB and obstruction rules.

ive got the utmost respect for the referees in our game. They perform a job that's just as tough as the one performed by the players.

That sounds like Huddersfield, although it could be any club, last week a perfect example.

Unbeaten, 3 away games all won, leading into the round it was 1st v 2nd, plenty for the home supporters to be happy about and want to show their support for 3 cracking away wins and give the team support, but instead, they sat on their hands while the small group at the back supported the team and waited for Mr CHILD- (no S) blew his whistle for a couple of penalties against us, slowly but surely the crowd woke up and within 10 minutes every decision against Huddersfield was met with howls of derision and people jumping off their seats to remonstrate, even when Sezer was rightly yellow carded, the furore and anger in the stands was evident.

My biggest compliant about the giants fans is that they don't give enough vocal support to the team, but yet will quite happily jump of their seats at every opportunity to berate the referee.

But they have usually decided that we aren't going to get a fair crack, with Child especially, but usually whoever the ref is,you only have to read the fans' social media posts to see that

"that's us not winning with him then"

"no point turning up as we've already lost if he's in charge"

etc etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I'm just glad to see that Meast has seen the light, given his long posting history regarding referees and perceived bias.

Me? I don't think I've ever been biased? certainly I've made comments in the past, I've often commented on times i thought a referee has made errors, I've never blamed a referee for a defeat, but you'll find that i also congratulate referee's when i think they had a sound game.

ūü§Ē

Edited by meast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

What makes you think a referee would be biased against a club of which he has no connection ? Furthermore if your theory was so blatantly obvious then don't you think the RFL authorities would have noticed and taken measures to stop it ? Or do you think the RFL are also against your club ?

If I watch a match not involving my club (Oldham) then I couldn't care less who wins ... so why should a referee think any different ?   If you think it's because of the abuse he might get from the Wakefield supporters then don't you think he also gets similar abuse whenever he referees at other grounds ?

I was saying it theoretically and tongue in cheek, fans perceive certain officials to "hate" their clubs, or as the Wakefield fans suggest, Child has a "chip on his shoulder" regarding Wakefield

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/03/2020 at 23:25, costa said:

Tonight I went to watch my other half officiate at a SL fixture (I shan't say which one). 

From minute 1 to 80 he was called all the names under the sun, in front of our little boy and girl. 

Is this really the state of our game? 

I don't know the rules as well as he does  but to me it looked like a really exciting game with drama right until the end. We were on our feet for the entire match, and so was everyone around us. 

But as soon as he got in the car I knew something was up. 

It's getting to him: homophobic language, paedophile allegations and being called a bent cheat. 

Why should he put up with it? 

Why should I? 

Why should our kids? 

 

The 'rugby league family' is something we like to talk about when Rob Burrow falls ill, but go to any top level game and you will witness something completely different.

I hardly ever go now: I just get into arguments. 

 

The absolute state of our game. 

Only a few weeks ago I wrote that the RFL should make clubs responsible for countering abuse of referees. I believe that the idiots that do this should be given a choice of either a one year ban from all matches or attending a refereeing course!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fevnut said:

Only a few weeks ago I wrote that the RFL should make clubs responsible for countering abuse of referees. I believe that the idiots that do this should be given a choice of either a one year ban from all matches or attending a refereeing course!

 

Excellent idea - the only coach that I've talked to who would never criticize a referee either in public or privately was Ross Strudwick - who was a qualified referee, he reckoned that the job was difficult enough without clueless idiots shoving their oar in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/03/2020 at 08:12, Wakefield Ram said:

If you watch a game not involving your team, it's remarkable how little you notice the referee. I ref RU at a very junior level and yes you blow your whistle sometimes, give the decision and then think yep got that wrong. But you have probably a second to make the call. And you're taking the context of the game into consideration. Is the game flowing enough? Did I let a similar minor infringement go earlier? Was the opposition infringing at the same time? And you're doing this on the run, sometimes with a view obscured by players (yes they get in the way sometimes) and doing this for 80 minutes. And being closer to the action than spectators, you see things that they don't from 50/60/70  metres away, but they know what they saw and they're right. Try reffing it's 10 times harder than you'd imagine and 100 times harder than shouting from the stands.

It's not helped by idiotic commentary on Sky. As an example, last night Blake Austin threw a pass 3-4 metres forward which the ref rightly blew. To howls from the crowd and think it was Terry O Connor who said he didn't think it was forward. Just look at the pitch markings where the passer and catcher are. 

Refs make mistakes, but genuinely don't care who wins. Losing coaches often blame the ref but when they win rarely say it was down to the ref.

Pitch markings have no relevance in forward passes, s a ref you should know that.

  • Like 3

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/03/2020 at 00:12, north yorks trinity said:

Really sorry to hear that. Personal abuse is totally indefensible.  Don't know which game you were at but James Child had an absolute stinker in the first half at Wakefield tonight and does seem to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder about Wakey.  I'm quite happy to admit that I was making it clear what I thought about his refereeing and I think that's part and parcel of the game but if it got into the realms of what you allege then it absolutely needs rooting out.  A bit of video footage shouldn't be hard to obtain these days and then the idiots can be dealt with.  ATEOD I'm still really disappointed in both the result and some of the officiating but it's a game and there are things in life which are much more important, or if you think there aren't you should be taking a good look at yourself.

State of this post. Shameful missing of the point and absolutely part of the problem.

Edited by JonT
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

While not condoning any of the abuse this woman and her children have heard, which is totally wrong and should be stamped out of the game, there is a good question about the standard of refereeing in the game since professionalism come into that profession. 

there is a good question about the standard of refereeing

Don't agree. 

 

  • Like 2

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, north yorks trinity said:

OK you might have said it differently but it expressed what I was trying to express.  We all have stinkers whatever our roles in life and I have already said later in the thread that the phrase "chip on his shoulder" was clumsy.  I simply meant it is statistical fact that we do less well with him in charge for whatever reason. The reason which sits best and least controversially with me is a clash between Wakefield's style of play and his refereeing style.

I apologise if I've offended anyone.  I was trying to distinguish between the morons and the much greater number of what I think of as normal fans who sometimes let off a bit of steam.

I simply meant it is statistical fact that we do less well with him in charge for whatever reason.

It would help settle many an argument on here if you were able to present the data.


Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The referee's revenge ......

 

Got to love that. I think it should be allowed by the RL. One or two big mouths who take "criticism" of the referee to an unacceptable level could do with a good hiding.

Fans who want to gob off at referees might want to watch their backs in the car park after the match and bear in mind that my club have had Jamie Bloem and an ex Royal Marine reffing our games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JohnM said:

there is a good question about the standard of refereeing

Don't agree. 

 

So you think the standard of refereeing since professionalism in that role has improved? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes indeed. What I will concede is that some fans understanding of the rules has not kept pace, though, as some of the baseless assertions about a certain ref and a certain club amply illustrate.

Edited by JohnM

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Got to love that. I think it should be allowed by the RL. One or two big mouths who take "criticism" of the referee to an unacceptable level could do with a good hiding.

Fans who want to gob off at referees might want to watch their backs in the car park after the match and bear in mind that my club have had Jamie Bloem and an ex Royal Marine reffing our games.

The only acceptable version of that I've ever seen was in a union game I was refereeing, mid-level. Gobby scrum half really couldn't get that I wasn't listening to his chirping so he started swearing at me. I penalised him, he started swearing again, 10m down the pitch with him still going. I shouted to his captain that I was going to keep on walking until the scrum half shut up then I was yellow carding him. His captain ran up, brutally kidney punched the scrum half and told him to "get the f*** off the field", it did take him a couple of minutes as he could barely walk. "Thank you captain, here'll do nicely for that penalty".

It's the captain's job to fix gobby sods on the field who take it too far. If they won't then they're solely responsible for any card or punishment within the laws the referee gives. If the ref wants to give more than a card then he's probably in the wrong profession.

  • Like 2

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ckn said:

The only acceptable version of that I've ever seen was in a union game I was refereeing, mid-level. Gobby scrum half really couldn't get that I wasn't listening to his chirping so he started swearing at me. I penalised him, he started swearing again, 10m down the pitch with him still going. I shouted to his captain that I was going to keep on walking until the scrum half shut up then I was yellow carding him. His captain ran up, brutally kidney punched the scrum half and told him to "get the f*** off the field", it did take him a couple of minutes as he could barely walk. "Thank you captain, here'll do nicely for that penalty".

It's the captain's job to fix gobby sods on the field who take it too far. If they won't then they're solely responsible for any card or punishment within the laws the referee gives. If the ref wants to give more than a card then he's probably in the wrong profession.

Unfortunately that doesn’t work for fans off the pitch, which is the real issue here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Padge said:

Pitch markings have no relevance in forward passes.

Agreed ... and to prove it just look at this video below.  (Yes it a Rugby Union video but it still explains the "momentum rule" regarding the judgement of whether a pass is forward or not).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is disgusting, but unfortunately a sign of the times, that referees are getting this level of abuse by a small minority of so called fans and I really feel of the wife and children of the referee concerned to have to hear such language. There is a fine line between banter and criticism and disgusting personal insults and it is often crossed these days. The offending spectators should be identified and banned from the ground.

It is not a new phenomenon for referees to be on the end of verbal criticism, but there does seem to be greater vitriol in the insults from a small minority these days. I can remember Billy Thompson, Fred Lindop  and Eric Clay being the butt of insults from spectators and often responding with a cheeky grin or wink, but I can't remember them being faced with the same level of abuse referees get these days.

Referees are human and can make mistakes and so can spectators, who will be blinkered against any decision made against their team. We need professional and competent referees and such attacks will only discourage people wanting to take up the role.

It is something the authorities should not tolerate and action needs to be taken against offenders who cross the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/03/2020 at 00:12, north yorks trinity said:

Really sorry to hear that. Personal abuse is totally indefensible.  Don't know which game you were at but James Child had an absolute stinker in the first half at Wakefield tonight and does seem to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder about Wakey.  I'm quite happy to admit that I was making it clear what I thought about his refereeing and I think that's part and parcel of the game but if it got into the realms of what you allege then it absolutely needs rooting out.  A bit of video footage shouldn't be hard to obtain these days and then the idiots can be dealt with.  ATEOD I'm still really disappointed in both the result and some of the officiating but it's a game and there are things in life which are much more important, or if you think there aren't you should be taking a good look at yourself.

My personal view (and that is all it is) is that this is the all out most hypocritical opening to a post I have seen on here for some while, and there is quite some competition for that accolade. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So you think the standard of refereeing since professionalism in that role has improved? 

I don't think standards are any better or worse than they have ever been. The difference is that fans have been enabled to become more and more vocal about points that, as this post has shown, they're massively ignorant about. 

I genuinely don't know how people are able to quantify that "stanards have gone down". It's one of these statements that is very easy to throw around, knowing that if you were ever called out on it, you'd simply have a list of long and pointless anecdotes to real off. 

Match officials see what they see, interpret those situations and make the call. That is the same today as it was 10, 20, 50 or 100 years ago. Are we honestly trying to make the argument that referees are seeing less, or interpreting more sitiations inaccurately? Anyone making that argument is definitely going to have to show their working. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I don't think standards are any better or worse than they have ever been. The difference is that fans have been enabled to become more and more vocal about points that, as this post has shown, they're massively ignorant about. 

I genuinely don't know how people are able to quantify that "stanards have gone down". It's one of these statements that is very easy to throw around, knowing that if you were ever called out on it, you'd simply have a list of long and pointless anecdotes to real off. 

Match officials see what they see, interpret those situations and make the call. That is the same today as it was 10, 20, 50 or 100 years ago. Are we honestly trying to make the argument that referees are seeing less, or interpreting more sitiations inaccurately? Anyone making that argument is definitely going to have to show their working. 

I would say the standards have gone up.  TV scrutiny has put pressure on.

Personally, I would take away all the nursemaiding the players on how to get onside etc etc and just Ref it.  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I don't think standards are any better or worse than they have ever been. The difference is that fans have been enabled to become more and more vocal about points that, as this post has shown, they're massively ignorant about. 

I genuinely don't know how people are able to quantify that "stanards have gone down". It's one of these statements that is very easy to throw around, knowing that if you were ever called out on it, you'd simply have a list of long and pointless anecdotes to real off. 

Match officials see what they see, interpret those situations and make the call. That is the same today as it was 10, 20, 50 or 100 years ago. Are we honestly trying to make the argument that referees are seeing less, or interpreting more sitiations inaccurately? Anyone making that argument is definitely going to have to show their working. 

I'm pretty sure standards have gone up but I often hear about the good old days. Part of the problem is the excellent tv coverage nowadays. Every decision can be minutely examined. In the past the ref made a decision, got booed and we moved on.

As an aside although I am not in favour of abusing the ref we shouldn't lose sight of the passion the game brings. I am amazed anyone would want to be a referee but If you are one you know you have to put up with some stick.

I have also to say that at matches I attend I get wound up by the abuse my coach and team get.

I notice that some of those who say they are never coming again still turn up but are not amused when I point this out to them after they have had another good moan. One year I had a go at a moaner sat behind who was off on one for an entire game. I asked him to give it a rest and got the old Ive paid me money and entitled to moan"

I told him I too had paid my money and wasn't I entitled a bit of peace now and then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ckn said:

The only acceptable version of that I've ever seen was in a union game I was refereeing, mid-level. Gobby scrum half really couldn't get that I wasn't listening to his chirping so he started swearing at me. I penalised him, he started swearing again, 10m down the pitch with him still going. I shouted to his captain that I was going to keep on walking until the scrum half shut up then I was yellow carding him. His captain ran up, brutally kidney punched the scrum half and told him to "get the f*** off the field", it did take him a couple of minutes as he could barely walk. "Thank you captain, here'll do nicely for that penalty".

It's the captain's job to fix gobby sods on the field who take it too far. If they won't then they're solely responsible for any card or punishment within the laws the referee gives. If the ref wants to give more than a card then he's probably in the wrong profession.

If you're as heavy-handed, trite and haughty refereeing a game as you are moderating in here then I'm moved to sympathise with the scrumhalf to be honest. 

Do you tell the players you hate RU and everything it stands for before you start play as well?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting timing but my wife and I took a walk to the local park this morning so my daughter could try her new bike.

There are two football pitches and as we walked past an open age game a player was having to be restrained as he was shouting at the ref and trying to get in his face.

On the other pitch an under 9's or 10's game was being played and the coach was almost bursting a blood vessel as he shouted and screamed at his players. 

I don't know which one of these depressed me the most... the ignorant thug in the first game or the production line that was the latter.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if costa has posted this on any other forums but Radio Humberside's Richard Stead had a long discussion at half time with the Daily Mirror RL correspondant Gareth Walker who mentioned the referee abuse topic appearing on a RL Forum on social media. Well worth listening to and I'll try and post a link when I can.


                                                                        RADFORD OUT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, RMBJ said:

If you're as heavy-handed, trite and haughty refereeing a game as you are moderating in here then I'm moved to sympathise with the scrumhalf to be honest. 

Do you tell the players you hate RU and everything it stands for before you start play as well?

ūüėĄ¬†

  • Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                                                                        RADFORD OUT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...