Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

6 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

They can all look forward to paying compensation to the RFL if they signed up to come.

They could well face legal action - especially as full members of the IRL and with all the other national Australian and NZ sports teams travelling across the world without complaint.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

They could well face legal action - especially as full members of the IRL and with all the other national Australian and NZ sports teams travelling across the world without complaint.

This was something rumoured earlier in the week, that the NRL were looking for avenues to deem the WC as not proper international matches in order to withdraw without repercussion. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

10 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

They can all look forward to paying compensation to the RFL if they signed up to come.

It wouldn’t be the RFL; it would be the IRL wouldn’t it? 

(Would be better if it was the UK Government as the major backer of the tournament.)

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Indeed. They need to be with other countries who sighed to come and then changed their minds

25 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Idont claim to know the details behind all the games called off but Rochdale v Workington off because 11 players and three staff in the Rochdale camp tested positive for covid. So that debunks your claim that its all about tracing and not infections. 

And if it was to be all a matter of tracing, as you wrongly suggest, are you thinking we wont bother with tracing at a world cup?  Lets say half the squad of one team are exposed to an infectious person....never mind its the world cup so send them out there and hope for the best.

One example does not disprove all the other examples there have been where it is simply contact tracing. 

Mid August we don't need to isolate as a contact if double jabbed. 

Modelling is suggesting this won't be an issue come October.. unless a new super variant comes a long at which all bets are off anyway.. we are moving beyond the issues of this moment in time. 

Decisions made on today's data could/should be made to look very silly in 3 months which is why no other sport is making such a rash judgment about 3 months times today. 

• Like 1

I haven't read every post on this thread, but I have read a lot of it and I struggle to add much to what has been said.

When I got the email this morning I was quite angry, now on reflection I think I am just incredibly sad for the huge opportunity for our game that looks like being thrown away. I think, I am more upset with the Kiwi's, we spoke about this at Wembley and everyone thought the Aussies wouldn't come, but the attitude was stuff them, it'll still be great. The Kiwi's however signed participation agreement and now looks like they are going to break it. Without getting into politics, in life, if someone breaks a solemn promise it's a long time, if ever, when they are trusted again. For future tours, I'd be looking to Tonga, Samoa, Fiji or PNG. Of course they may eventually pull out, but that would be understandable now.

Even thinking about self interest, the NRL clubs are giving up an immense opportunity to showcase the talents in their competition. Australia is a relatively small economy in world terms and the market is finite, NZ is even smaller, this was a shop window and they've closed the blinds. How many people would watch? I don't know, neither do I know if any interest would be converted into commercial value for the NRL. What I do know is that number will be none if you don't give people the opportunity to find the game and, as others have said, a great way to generate interest is international competition.

I hope there is a U turn, but I fear there won't be, if these are the only two nations to drop out and we can still get Tonga, Samoa etc here then we should still go for it. If England win it, I'd be delighted and it wouldn't be more than a passing thought for the teams missing. I would guess if Tonga, Samoa or Fiji won it they'd be national heroes back home and nobody would care about Australia or New Zealand.

• Like 5

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

1 minute ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

This was something rumoured earlier in the week, that the NRL were looking for avenues to deem the WC as not proper international matches in order to withdraw without repercussion. 

There will be repercussions for some teams who signed to come here and play in it. I guess the NRL will pay their bills

22 minutes ago, Damien said:

Some of us have been strongly warning about the road the NRL have been going down for years. It's been clear for some time that they are more concerned with controlling and restricting the international game than allowing it to grow.

You appear to be correct. I'll admit I hoped the ARLC could provide proper leadership of this sport, seems not. 

Just now, The Future is League said:

Indeed. They need to be with other countries who sighed to come and then changed their minds

Step 1 is bring action against NZ as they signed an argreement. Everyone else will fall into line at that move. Step 2 is to push Australian players into declaring for other nations. Step 3 is await the response once the NRL has had time to consider the wave of condemnation and knowledge their pre-season is affected anyway. 

Not saying it will work but that would be my gameplan.

• Like 4

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

12 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Just came inside and my son told me, shattered, embarrassed, angry, I`m sure they could of arranged something if they really wanted to. My sincerest apologies from one Australian who really wanted it to happen. The rest of the comp this year is going to leave a sour taste in my mouth.

I missed this earlier but just to say, you're a good man Rocket.  I have to say, a message like this from an Aussie really does mean a lot today.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The sad thing is that this default by Australia and its dependency NZ has denied a number of players the chance evet to represent their country in the World Cup. They may be too old next time,  not in form, and more likely, Aus and its slave state my not get another invite. Don't take it out on these players, take it out on Strop Vlandis and Co. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Damien said:

Simon Johnson with a rallying call to players and coaches to speak up. I must admit he has impressed me today:

Not only has he been impressive but someone has kept Ralph away from the TV & radio

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

The sad thing is that this default by Australia and its dependency NZ has denied a number of players the chance evet to represent their country in the World Cup. They may be too old next time,  not in form, and more likely, Aus and its slave state my not get another invite. Don't take it out on these players, take it out on Strop Vlandis and Co. 

this.

it isn’t the players fault, they are the ones being denied maybe a once in a lifetime chance to represent their country in a world cup in a sport they love.

4 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Just read that and just muttered FFS. This wonderful sport will never get the recognition it deserves when we have self serving people running the clubs and game.

Must admit having read Pearson’s statement, while it’s insensitive timing I don’t think there’s much wrong with it. He says it’s shocking that Aus and NZ have pulled out (true), and then goes on to say that this sh1tshow of an SL season could be extended to make it more credible, which in the absence of a WC isn’t a bad idea imho. I’d rather see England play a couple of games, even if they’re against France and Wales, but he’s Hull’s owner so of course he wants what’s best for them? 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Must admit having read Pearson’s statement, while it’s insensitive timing I don’t think there’s much wrong with it. He says it’s shocking that Aus and NZ have pulled out (true), and then goes on to say that this sh1tshow of an SL season could be extended to make it more credible, which in the absence of a WC isn’t a bad idea imho. I’d rather see England play a couple of games, even if they’re against France and Wales, but he’s Hull’s owner so of course he wants what’s best for them? 

"of course he wants what’s best for them"

Like tonight's performance? 

Just now, Smudger06 said:

NZ is gearing up to become an NRL affiliate much like QRL & NSWRL. I thought the Kiwis had a bit about them, now just a lapdog. 

The nrl, said we'll pay for you electric bill, buy 2 rugby balls and pay for your hire car for week... and the NZRL boss said "we have a deal!"

NZ have no back bone.

• Like 2