Jump to content

Superleague TV audience figures through the roof.


Davo5
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, marklaspalmas said:
Record viewing figures although Super League took money off loyal fans for their overseas service, http://live-rugby-league.com , pocketed the cash and failed to deliver the service. Disgraceful.

Yes - I saw the updates from you on this and it is ... probably illegal?

 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


49 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

With games played behind closed doors/to reduced attendances and everyone stuck at home for a considerable part of the season you’d expect more fans to be watching on tv.

The few thousand stuck at home doesn`t explain the ten`s of thousands extra watching.

Also even if people are stuck at home and I`m not just talking League fans, have chosen to watch the League over the million other things on TV, that`s got to be good news as well.

Unrelated to your post, lot of talk here the other day that Catalans shouldn`t be part of Magic Weekend, thought it was strange at the time since the crowd was chanting their name during their game, doesn`t those Catalans viewing figures means people want to watch the Les Dracs, give them a rival everybody hates, do you have a Manly ? put them up against them.

Any way great news on the figures, congrats.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

give them a rival everybody hates, do you have a Manly

Depends who you ask. Most fans will say everyone else hates their club and usually attributes it to jealousy.

It really is nonsense, there aren't any clubs that everyone else hates. Apart from Wigan and Leeds of course.

  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super News.

And so it should as well.

Whilst the Sky deal is done, the "Free to Air" agreement is pending and such figures will strengthen our hand.

More viewers, more money, more publicity and so on.

Plus if it continues, then come the next Sky/whoever deal and that should be increased hopefully.

I will remind people that it is not healthy for RL to over rely on one revenue stream. 

New means need to be sourced. Whether that is Nines, Levies on non federation wages or gate money, internet coverage and broadcasting, community use of facilities, etc.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whichever way you look at this, it's good news, there's no denying that. 

But at the same time it highlights the lack of self belief in whoever is negotiating on behalf of RL. They perhaps could have been more bullish and pointed out the consistent decent figures for many years past and used that as a chip with which to lever up the price? Even by a couple of million would have helped the lower clubs. 

Or maybe they did exactly that to no avail? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's obviously good news that more people are watching

However, without wishing to be negative, are more people watching sport on TV this year because of the effects of COVID? I mean, we were in lockdown for the first part of the season, that can't be denied....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read on here that Sky had instructed our sport to 'improve the product' and that they wanted large city names in the competition.

It was very suspicious as no name was ever quoted and I had never heard of Sky Television giving instructions to any other sport.

Now there is this - without any of the above.

It's a funny old game...

     No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I read on here that Sky had instructed our sport to 'improve the product' and that they wanted large city names in the competition.

It was very suspicious as no name was ever quoted and I had never heard of Sky Television giving instructions to any other sport.

Now there is this - without any of the above.

It's a funny old game...

I've read people posting that but no direct quote, so I believe it's speculation.

I'm sure they said they want RL to sort out their future, meaning structure of leagues etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

How is the new Sky deal reducing attendances and match day sales? 

Really? 

Wow

 

Well several of my mates now watchvthe games on sky ratger tgan going the match. 

Its like the self service till phemomena at ASDA where eventually there will be no people in attendance 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I've read people posting that but no direct quote, so I believe it's speculation.

I'm convinced it's people adding 2+2 and getting whatever answer they want.

Sky put in a shorter deal at a time when RL was going through one of its regular bouts of soul searching and people connected dots that maybe were the wrong ones to be connecting.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The storm said:

Well several of my mates now watchvthe games on sky ratger tgan going the match. 

Have you noticed that this has also coincided with more people turning up at games in Groucho Marx glasses, nose, and mustache masks?

  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The storm said:

Really? 

Wow

 

Well several of my mates now watchvthe games on sky ratger tgan going the match. 

Its like the self service till phemomena at ASDA where eventually there will be no people in attendance 

So do you think there should be no televised sport? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Rocket said:

The few thousand stuck at home doesn`t explain the ten`s of thousands extra watching.

Also even if people are stuck at home and I`m not just talking League fans, have chosen to watch the League over the million other things on TV, that`s got to be good news as well.

Unrelated to your post, lot of talk here the other day that Catalans shouldn`t be part of Magic Weekend, thought it was strange at the time since the crowd was chanting their name during their game, doesn`t those Catalans viewing figures means people want to watch the Les Dracs, give them a rival everybody hates, do you have a Manly ? put them up against them.

Any way great news on the figures, congrats.

Hopefully it will be Toulouse next season, and they can play their game at a neutral venue in France on Magic weekend. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So do you think there should be no televised sport? 

When it’s sometimes suggested that all SL games should be televised a number of people on this forum rant that it will kill SL if all the games were on TV.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...