Combined Nations All-Stars 29 man squad named

On the subject of Leigh players being in, I have no issue with it but when I read the above I thought “surely they’d then have to have their game this weekend postponed” and I looked at the fixtures and realised that The RFL decided to make a predominantly part-time league play two games in 4 days the other weekend to have a weekend off this weekend despite zero call-ups to either side. Madness. 

• Like 2

At least England's women are playing France at the weekend so I can watch an actual real international game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Jughead said:

On the subject of Leigh players being in, I have no issue with it but when I read the above I thought “surely they’d then have to have their game this weekend postponed” and I looked at the fixtures and realised that The RFL decided to make a predominantly part-time league play two games in 4 days the other weekend to have a weekend off this weekend despite zero call-ups to either side. Madness. 

There are other internationals on, aren't there?

Just now, RigbyLuger said:

There are other internationals on, aren't there?

One, I think. France (who’ll be predominantly made up of Catalans and Toulouse players) v Wales (admittedly, many will be Championship players). Are there enough call-ups to warrant all games being off?

Edit.

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

47 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Good point that - Blake Ferguson would have been great 

Fair point. Ipape is a superstar!

32 minutes ago, Damien said:

What makes you think they would want to play? There is literally nothing in it for them.

I remember a few years ago Leuluai breaking his leg in one of these matches. The following year loads of exiles players then didn't play and England won by 20 points and the concept was binned.

It's a meaningless risk for potential Exiles players.

Hence we should be playing France.

28 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Its depressingly all too familiar. I'm sure i'll get caught up in it, but i cant be bummed about the World Cup at the minute. There are too many other sporting weekends that are taking priority. Sadly, even the 6 Nations and RUWC next year are potentially taking precious calendar slots...!

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

3 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

I like this idea.  You could pick exciting players like Field and French, oh hang on.

I've been informed by my Saints supporting friends that Field is just a sprinter, so he doesn't really count as an exciting player.

The problem is it's always going to be a victim of the poor state of international RL. You can't expect players to get onboard if there's nothing to get onboard with.

Not only does the CNAS need some sort of identity and character, it also needs to come up with a convincing reason for players to be involved. I'm not sure Aussies and Kiwis are particularly bothered about helping England get a competitive game. 

I don't think we should just get rid of it though. Pretty much every concept gets ditched or changed and judged a failure but it just means there's little continuity or history built in the international game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

I've been informed by my Saints supporting friends that Field is just a sprinter, so he doesn't really count as an exciting player.

The problem is it's always going to be a victim of the poor state of international RL. You can't expect players to get onboard if there's nothing to get onboard with.

Not only does the CNAS need some sort of identity and character, it also needs to come up with a convincing reason for players to be involved. I'm not sure Aussies and Kiwis are particularly bothered about helping England get a competitive game. 

I don't think we should just get rid of it though. Pretty much every concept gets ditched or changed and judged a failure but it just means there's little continuity or history built in the international game.

A bit of pre-match hype, needle and lenient reffing of biff would help build some rivalry . . . .

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

At least England's women are playing France at the weekend so I can watch an actual real international game.

And don’t forget the big wheelchair rugby league heavyweight clash between England vs France at Manchester Basketball Centre live on Sky.

I’ve not been following the sport for long, but that is a competitive international rivalry showcasing some great skill.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

The concept in theory isn't too bad, but it suffers in the way that all games involving international teams do in the northern hemisphere. International RL isn't treated as seriously as it should be and every initiative suffers as a result. It would help if we had international games on a more regular basis throughout the year. When we just have one mid season fixture it just feels like a one-off. Selection doesn't hinge on who performs well because one good performance mid season isn't enough to really push for inclusion at the end of the year. When you then play your one international against a team cobbled together from overseas players and those not selected by England it makes it feel even more like an afterthought than anything to be taken seriously.

The Combined Nations isn't a bad concept in the same way that the Barbarians in RU isn't a bad concept. The difference is there's history behind it, there's a concept to it. There's a style of rugby associated with the Barbarians. There's some prestige to being selected. We can't really add history and prestige to the CNAS concept if it's ditched after a few years. I think it should continue and the emphasis should be on selecting flair players and showcasing attacking rugby. Add some stipulations that can then become traditions, such as including one player from the Championship or below in the team (a bit like the Barbarians tradition of including one uncapped player). I genuinely think there's a place for the concept but the problem is it's place should not be the only mid season international fixture.

The CNAS game is a bit of farce because international RL is a bit of a farce. It's only by playing more meaningful internationals against various teams that the sport will grow at this level and if that happens then the CNAS might become a more valuable concept such as an annual charity game with a bit more interest. But in the absence of that I don't blame players for pulling out or not being interested.

True, it's a bit chicken and egg, if we stop these Internationals as they aren't supported then they are harder to get going again, we need to start somewhere and build.

I'm a big fan of internationals, I think I'm rare but I want a system that supports our international team not my club.

So many great memories of internationals 

• Like 3

This is dreadful and both lines ups are full of bang average or players who have tried and failed. 

What is the point of this? And how is this meant to attract fans? 

The other countries must be quaking in their boots looking at this. Granted England are missing a few, but really? Aussie to send there u 23's and wipe the floor with that lot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Stanley30 said:

This is dreadful and both lines ups are full of bang average or players who have tried and failed. 

What is the point of this? And how is this meant to attract fans? 

The other countries must be quaking in their boots looking at this. Granted England are missing a few, but really? Aussie to send there u 23's and wipe the floor with that lot. 

Yup it has all the bad things we dislike about our Game.

We all realize how important an international aspect should be. It cried out for an proper international at least against France (Bastille Day).

But instead we get a contrived friendly that at best resembles a 1970's testimonial for a long serving player, followed by a pish up in the clubhouse.

How this helps the England international team, jeepers know. Especially without the NRL based players. 

The "absence" of Wigan and Saints players gives another bow to the ones who think there is one rule for us and another for them.

The way SRD have found out that Brodie Croft had been selected reeks of amateurism. 

David Dockhouse wonders how it could be done better. I can only suggest central contracting might help. Commonsensical but unlikely.

It is another one of those gimmicky RL ideas, tried once, then rejected and then revived again without much thought or enthusiasm. Bound to die again. 

But I am at least relieved they didn't mimic the rah rahs and call them the "Barbarians."

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 1

On 13/06/2022 at 16:35, DimmestStar said:

Ryan Hall has been playing consistently well all season and deserves his inclusion. Anyone who watches him every week knows this. Great finish to fend off Makinson for his try this week.

Surprised that Lachlan Coote is not in the all stars team his current form is outstanding and there is no recognised full back selected.

Please with the best will in the world, Ryan Hall is yesterday's man when comparing him to present International wingers that other nations can put on the park, I am not disputing that he may be performing quite well but that is an indictment of were the standards of SL presently sit.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2022 at 20:03, StandOffHalf said:

Aha, righty-oh! I hadn't realised that SL suspensions were carried over into this rep game.

Knowles and Smithies were two players I was really looking forward to seeing in action.

It wouldn't do for us all to see the same qualities of some player's it would do the forum discussions no good whatsoever, but the way you keep mentioning Smithies as international class is something I am completely missing, I honestly could not even contemplate him getting a Jersey for Aus, NZ, Tonga, Samoa or Fiji, I mention those teams because apart from England no one else really makes any impact on the World scene.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idrewthehaggis said:

The "absence" of Wigan and Saints players gives another bow to the ones who think there is one rule for us and another for them.

Which Saints players are "absent" for England ?

Percival - Injured, Dodd - Injured, Lomax - Injured, Knowles - picked up an injury on Sunday and replaced in the squad by Batchelor. There's still 5 Saints players in the England squad which left 1 place available for Hanley to pick a Saints player for the All-stars. Sironen is injured as is Hopoate (again) but he could have picked 1 of Paasi, Hurrell or Lussick. No idea why he didn't pick one of these 3. Mata'utia & Bell are currently banned so don't think could be picked anyway.

Only picking 2 Wigan players of all the ones that are available - thats the real question ? I would have expected Field, French & Marshall all to be in there somewhere.

Edited by Saint Toppy
  • Haha 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions