Sweet Caroline

On the subject of Saturday’s music, can we all just take a moment to remember the introduction of “the legendary Alex Simmonds” in the gap between the two games. That was most certainly my cue to go and queue at the bar. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

On the subject of Saturday’s music, can we all just take a moment to remember the introduction of “the legendary Alex Simmonds” in the gap between the two games. That was most certainly my cue to go and queue at the bar. 

I remember watching ''Walk the line'' (the Johnny Cash story) with my daughter and when she saw the band playing Folsom Prison, she remarked ''it must have been easy to get famous in the old days Dad?''. 

The ''Legendary Alex Simmonds'' suggests it's getting even easier. 

Funny thing is, before this became the song everyone HAS to be subjected to at any event i have always disliked this song, don't know why i've just never liked it, i could cope with it maybe once or twice a year at parties or on the radio but as Meast says it's everywhere, i know it's Cas's song and fair play to them there club adopted it and it took off with their fans/players etc then all of a sudden the England football fans started doing it, Huddersfield Giants started doing it, Barrow Raiders did it, FFS 25 seconds after we had just won a challenge cup semi final it started up so ruined any chance of fans celebrating properly and yesterday it was played 4 times in just over 3 hours in the same bloody place.

I despise the song even more these days and cringe everytime i hear it start up, unfortunately there's nothing i can do to avoid it apart from never leaving my house

And yes, i am a grumpy old man where this horrible song in concerned, plus my Ex is called Caroline 😣

Edited by daz39
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, meast said:

If anyone from the RFL, SLE, IMG or any other RL and general sports bodies and clubs happen to read this

Can you please put Sweet Caroline in a bin and find some new material.

It's become the epitome of tedium now, I must have heard it at least 4 times yesterday, I hear at it just about every sports event I go to, I hear it on TV/radio adverts and any thing that's sports, drinking, betting related.

I don't want to sound like a grumpy old git but I'm afraid I am when it comes to this song which for some reason unknown all has become and unofficial national anthem in the last 12-18 months.

Cheers.

PS- please don't replace it with glad all over or country roads either, thanks again 🙂 

At least you didnt have to endure 2 drunken (or at least pretty well gone, as they were drinking bottles of wine) fans on the train back singing it all the ###### time as loud as they could!! 2 1/2 hours ffs and mostly just the chorus which didnt get repetitive at all!... was doing my nut in (and a fair few others, including a poor mother with young child trying to keep him calm), even worse when they clocked me and the lad were wearing eagles shirts... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, RP London said:

At least you didnt have to endure 2 drunken (or at least pretty well gone, as they were drinking bottles of wine) fans on the train back singing it all the ###### time as loud as they could!! 2 1/2 hours ffs and mostly just the chorus which didnt get repetitive at all!... was doing my nut in (and a fair few others, including a poor mother with young child trying to keep him calm), even worse when they clocked me and the lad were wearing eagles shirts... 

Morons.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Funny thing is, before this came the song everyone HAS to be subjected to at any event i have always disliked this song, don't know why i've just never liked it, i could cope with it maybe once or twice a year at parties or on the radio but as Meast says it's everywhere, i know it's Cas's song and fair play to them there club adopted it and it took off with their fans/players etc then all of a sudden the England football fans started doing it, Huddersfield Giants started doing it, Barrow Raiders did it, FFS 25 seconds after we had just won a challenge cup semi final it started up so ruined any chance of fans celebrating properly and yesterday it was played 4 times in just over 3 hours in the same bloody place.

I despise the song even more these days and cringe everytime i hear it start up, unfortunately there's nothing i can do to avoid it apart from never leaving my house

And yes, i am a grumpy old man where this horrible song in concerned, plus my Ex is called Caroline 😣

Ah! 

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

Funny thing is, before this came the song everyone HAS to be subjected to at any event i have always disliked this song, don't know why i've just never liked it, i could cope with it maybe once or twice a year at parties or on the radio but as Meast says it's everywhere, i know it's Cas's song and fair play to them there club adopted it and it took off with their fans/players etc then all of a sudden the England football fans started doing it, Huddersfield Giants started doing it, Barrow Raiders did it, FFS 25 seconds after we had just won a challenge cup semi final it started up so ruined any chance of fans celebrating properly and yesterday it was played 4 times in just over 3 hours in the same bloody place.

If you'd have just said that at the start you could have saved typing the rest!

Edited by Damien
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Josef K said:

“The Referee's Alphabet - Half Man Half Biscuit”. To be played after the match as a homage to our excellent officials. 

V is for Video Ref, great drama and no pressure on me. 

• Like 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

21 hours ago, meast said:

If anyone from the RFL, SLE, IMG or any other RL and general sports bodies and clubs happen to read this

Can you please put Sweet Caroline in a bin and find some new material.

It's become the epitome of tedium now, I must have heard it at least 4 times yesterday, I hear at it just about every sports event I go to, I hear it on TV/radio adverts and any thing that's sports, drinking, betting related.

I don't want to sound like a grumpy old git but I'm afraid I am when it comes to this song which for some reason unknown all has become and unofficial national anthem in the last 12-18 months.

Cheers.

PS- please don't replace it with glad all over or country roads either, thanks again 🙂 

Used to love that song, until Cas started using it.

I walk out of pubs if it ever comes on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, very cringey.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 hours ago, tiffers said:

Should it not be the Hoodoo Gurus??
No brainer in RL worlds!

This is a great example of cognitive dissonance. 

I love the song cause its about Rugby League.

But it really is an awful song.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Used to love that song, until Cas started using it.

I walk out of pubs if it ever comes on.

It's even died a death in the karaoke bars. Singers now get heckled for singing it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, meast said:

I'm getting close to it too, hopefully the trend will die soon and they'll find something else to appeal to the masses?

It will probably last until about the time of the RLWC semi finals when the latest incarnation of 'Three Lions' or 'Vindaloo' will take over as the FIFA World Cup approaches.

For those who don't like it, it could be worse, the football fans were singing an Atomic Kitten song prior to the Euros last year. We could have had that blaring out yesterday.

I'm in grumpy old git mode again here 😄 But why do we need music blasting out?

It spoils the organic atmosphere and celebrations for me, fine, have some music playing after the celebrations are dying down, but blasting really loud music out 5 seconds after a try has been scored and 20 seconds after a game has finished does my head in.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Josef K said:

“The Referee's Alphabet - Half Man Half Biscuit”. To be played after the match as a homage to our excellent officials. 

All I want for Christmas is a Mad Squirrels Vrchlabi away kit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I disliked Sweet Caroline well before people started playing it here, there and everywhere again.  It has not improved with age and idiots singing along.

• Like 1

'Turn you inside out and lick you like a crisp packet.'

1 hour ago, sfmedusa said:

I disliked Sweet Caroline well before people started playing it here, there and everywhere again.  It has not improved with age and idiots singing along.

Lighten up. We're suffering the consequences of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, Covid, world shortage of semiconductors, etc etc, so what if you don't like Sweet Caroline? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Lighten up. We're suffering the consequences of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, Covid, world shortage of semiconductors, etc etc, so what if you don't like Sweet Caroline? 

You are entirely at liberty to both form your own opinion of the song and to form your own opinion of my opinion of the song.  Neither is of consequence in the great scheme of things 🙂

• Haha 1

'Turn you inside out and lick you like a crisp packet.'