1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 7 to 12 points
    • Samoa by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/10/22 at 14:00

5 hours ago, Big Picture said:

This Samoa team didn't play a warmup match so they haven't played together before, and the match is in England in October so the English conditions could be a factor too.  England in a close one.

I don't necessarily disagree but re the conditions, have Australian players just finished a season that they play through, what can be, a very wet and sometimes cold winter? 

Not sure the conditions will matter too much but I do think England will sneak it due to the warm up game.

Weather won't be a factor - 14c and dry. Literally what most mid season NRL games are like. 

I do hope players on both teams properly test their studs before kick off though - the amount of times when rugby is played on lush football pitches they're slipping all over the place! 

I guess i've be part of the contingent talking Samoa up quite a bit and I still maintain this will be very close. I do think the length of time England have had together and Samoa not having much more than an opposed training session with Ireland will come into it though. That and a touch of optimism has me going England by 10. Score guess would be 18-8

• Like 2

Interesting how it’s reffed by Klein , with their NRL packed side . The refs are tuned to ref a certain way all year and it’s definitely different in both competitions …. And Ashley can have some good games and some real Michael Crocker’s 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Weather won't be a factor - 14c and dry. Literally what most mid season NRL games are like. 

I do hope players on both teams properly test their studs before kick off though - the amount of times when rugby is played on lush football pitches they're slipping all over the place! 

Quite breezy though and it's meant to rain overnight, so I think you're right about the studs.

I'd think the crowd atmosphere is probably more of a home advantage. Jesse Bromwich was talking to the NZ press about 2013 and what a different experience it will be for the southern hemisphere teams. 

• Like 2

Might have missed it elsewhere but rlwc2021.com & nrl.com both showing lineups now as opposed to squads in alphabetical or squad number order.

Welsby & Williams the halves, Radley second row, Knowles 13. Bench all forwards, KPP & Sneyd 18-19th men.

6 hours ago, Jonty58 said:

It could go either way but if Samoa gel it could get pretty painful for England on the edges.

Not sure I agree with that.  There doesn't seem anything in their edges that particularly worries me... their edge forwards are the worst of the SH teams and we have some pretty good athletes in the centre and wings, certainly bigger than they are and probably just as quick.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I think Wanes team are pretty gritty, organised and hard to beat.

England looked like that against Fiji.. yes Fiji were weakened.

I'm pretty confident we will win.

I would of preferred one or two changes but Wane hopefully knows what he's doing..England by 10

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

2 hours ago, jim_57 said:

Might have missed it elsewhere but rlwc2021.com & nrl.com both showing lineups now as opposed to squads in alphabetical or squad number order.

Welsby & Williams the halves, Radley second row, Knowles 13. Bench all forwards, KPP & Sneyd 18-19th men.

That's interesting. 

I suspect that they have just had a guess at the team as the lineups previously looked silly on their match page template in squad order (with Burgess as halklfback etc.).

It's probably got the same weight as our suggested teams from the 19.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

God i hope we win tomorrow.

Just watching the Fox World Cup preview show and Alexander is pretty dismissive of England.

On top of that its all about the English NRL contingent. Briefly spoke about Welsby that was it.

Thinks Samoa are too strong for us.

• Like 2

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

3 minutes ago, jacksy said:

Just watching the Fox World Cup preview show and Alexander is pretty dismissive of England.

On top of that its all about the English NRL contingent. Briefly spoke about Welsby that was it.

The clip on Fox I seen the journo’s were dismissive of the whole tournament . One then said ‘ oh don’t say that we’re covering this ‘

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

For me, the most intriguing WC game involving England, probably ever. There's a bit of unknown about both teams: England because of the old question of SL players being able to go toe-to-toe with NRLers, which can be hit or miss (2017 v 2000). Samoa, because they've never before assembled such a strong squad, with eight Grand Finalists from this year involved, including six from the Panthers, plus Suali'i and several from NQL and the Sharks. However, 6, 7 & 9 could be and Achilles heel. 

Any comparison with Fiji are wide of the mark.

England by a few, but only if we start like we finished 2017.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jacksy said:

27 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The clip on Fox I seen the journo’s were dismissive of the whole tournament . One then said ‘ oh don’t say that we’re covering this ‘

I would be amazed if this attitude hasn't permeated to the Samoan team - even a little.  I think there is an overconfidence in this Samoan outfit that is not warranted, I think they expect to 'do a Tonga' when they don't have the players to pull it off.

I am not calling them arrogant, I think they will be seeing what the Aussie pundits say and they will expect it to happen though.

England looked well organised, tough and determined against Fiji and that will go up a notch or two tomorrow.  I expect one team to have a shock tomorrow and it isn't England.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I would be amazed if this attitude hasn't permeated to the Samoan team - even a little.  I think there is an overconfidence in this Samoan outfit that is not warranted, I think they expect to 'do a Tonga' when they don't have the players to pull it off.

I am not calling them arrogant, I think they will be seeing what the Aussie pundits say and they will expect it to happen though.

England looked well organised, tough and determined against Fiji and that will go up a notch or two tomorrow.  I expect one team to have a shock tomorrow and it isn't England.

The same pundits that were calling Parrish hot garbage and pushing the agenda for Matt Johns to coach them.

Christ, i hope we beat them. I really really do. It could have such a big impact, both on my drinking habits and the comp.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

We need to start quick. They’ll be rusty and I think the atmosphere will be a surprise to those who haven’t played in the UK before. Samoa are going to grow into the game but I really hope we can beat them and set the tone. 

Not looked forward to a game like this for a while. Genuine international competition in front of a packed St James’. There’ll be kids going tomorrow who aren’t aware that their love affair with a sport is about to begin. Exciting stuff.

• Like 3

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details