Odsal Superdome update

28 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

You can say the same about the Bronte sisters as well

There's only that one painting of them. They're not nearly good-looking enough to come from Bradford.

You have to wonder whether they were hard-faced Lancastrians trying it on. 😉

image.jpeg.050a5e0eb634309ee7aecb046a217c38.jpeg

• Haha 4

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

20 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Surely they go down the Wakey model. If Wakefield council can give £2million each to 3 clubs surely the Bradford local authority can sort at least an upgrade to Odsal 

Mad that a city that size can't do it

Was that money from the windfall of, ironically, the sale of Leeds-Bradford Airport, or have I remembered incorrectly?

21 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

The Council owns Odsal and has allowed it to fall into disrepair. It, plus the current Bulls owner, plus the Rugby League have allowed the Stock Car franchise to pinch about a third of the rugby pitch and set concrete bollards along the touchlines. The pitch is not fit for professional rugby.

It might be argued that this was acceptable if the council thought it could redevelop a new stadium on the Richard Dunn sports centre ... set on the opposite side of the road and already closed following the construction of a nearby replacement.

However:

- A (presumed) mischief-maker contacted the government and got a Grade II Listing for the Richard Dunn building as it has a uniquely constructed tin roof. It is so unique that in the intervening fifty years since construction, nobody has bothered building another.

- The Council has squandered millions and millions of pounds on worthless vanity projects while leaving genuine historical sandstone buildings to rot away till Mr Never-Caught burns them down.

None of the levelling-up requests covered the compulsory purchase and restitution of these beautiful buildings. This could help to address the city's problems with homeless people and bed-blocking at the hospitals

- The Council has recently had its Child-Safety responsibility removed after gross negligence resulted in the murder of an innocent child whose welfare had been repeatedly been reported.

- The unpopular Council Chief Executive ... salary £200,000+ ... has announced she is leaving. That leaves the charmless Council Leader to push for this levelling-up grant. She has taken many opportunities to slag off the Conservative Government but then expects it to hand over millions to an organisation with a terrible record of bringing in schemes on time and budget.

- A Council  that forbids planning permission for fast food shops within 250m of schools .  because of child obesity issues ...  is building secondary schools without playing fields. Yet, it has applied for £50million towards Odsal.

- We are to be the City of Culture in 2025 and the Council has claimed the city could get half a million visitors. At the same time, it is proposing to demolish four car parks.

For a laugh, anyone could read the comments on the announcement, as addressed by the Telegraph and Argus.:

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23260992.blow-50m-odsal-plan-levelling-fund-snubs-bradford/

Thank god for some who truly understands, and to PW71 the Keighley, and Bingley schemes that we both also rejected both have Conservative members of Parliament. 

Leeds also got zero levelling up money for their 6 bids.

Richmond, which is as prosperous an area as you'll find in Yorkshire? £19 million.

Guess who the MP for Richmond is. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

59 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Surely they go down the Wakey model. If Wakefield council can give £2million each to 3 clubs surely the Bradford local authority can sort at least an upgrade to Odsal 

Mad that a city that size can't do it

Unfortunately Odsal is the sort of venue you really can't just upgrade , it is unique , in both a good and bad way 

That's why putting a roof on it is probably just tipping cash down a hole , it's too big , so whatever you try to do will cost a fortune , again all projects need to be underwritten financially , usually by a council , or by a bank as in the case of Headingley , somebody who will supply the extra over budget cash , just who in their right mind would do that with a roof over Odsal , that's why I asked if anybody else had ever done something similar , the potential pitfalls are huge 

You could cost it at 50 million , but end up spending double 

• Like 1

LATEST from the Bulls 

"It goes without saying that we are disappointed with the decision, but not entirely surprised. It has certainly not diminished our resolve to provide the club, its supporters, and the city with the appropriate modern facility that they are deserving of. 

"This is a setback but categorically not the end of the road. We await formal communication and an explanation from the City of Bradford Metropolitan Council about their proposed next steps in regenerating the South Bradford gateway including the former Richard Dunn Sports Centre and the world famous Odsal Stadium. 

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

All but selling out cup replays, pre season matches and league cup games against lower league opponents in minutes at the moment. And that's just being in the premier league nevermind challenging for anything towards the top.

There's so much demand its ridiculous, domestically and internationally. 17 years outside the premier league and then boom. I note the Delloitte top 20 Money list has been revealed and premier league teams make up over half for the first time, with Leeds (along with Leicester, Newcastle, West Ham and Everton) being in there. I think West Ham and Everton are good comparisons for Leeds in terms of going from a 30 odd thousand stadium to a 50 to 60k plus.

Yes, a one-club city in sustained football boom, and a big city at that. The marketplace is night & day when compared to the last time Leeds were in the top tier. Little question Leeds could regularly get 60k+ even if they weren't challenging for honours, as long as they were in the Premier League, and with proper corporate facilities in a premium environment like Spurs' new stadium delivered they could be printing money I'd think. 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

8 minutes ago, POR said:

"We await formal communication and an explanation from the City of Bradford Metropolitan Council ..."

Is Steve Ganson writing their press releases?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Out of all the bids put in by West Yorkshire councils, 2 were successful. The buses (bus infrastructure?)are going to be upgraded. And £12m will be spent on Batley Town Centre. What a crock….

Even Robbie Moore, Tory MP for Keighley, got Rishi Sunak round to visit 2weeks ago to explain how much of an innovative tech hub Keighley is , has failed with the levelling up money!

4 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

The Council owns Odsal and has allowed it to fall into disrepair. It, plus the current Bulls owner, plus the Rugby League have allowed the Stock Car franchise to pinch about a third of the rugby pitch and set concrete bollards along the touchlines. The pitch is not fit for professional rugby.

It might be argued that this was acceptable if the council thought it could redevelop a new stadium on the Richard Dunn sports centre ... set on the opposite side of the road and already closed following the construction of a nearby replacement.

However:

- A (presumed) mischief-maker contacted the government and got a Grade II Listing for the Richard Dunn building as it has a uniquely constructed tin roof. It is so unique that in the intervening fifty years since construction, nobody has bothered building another.

- The Council has squandered millions and millions of pounds on worthless vanity projects while leaving genuine historical sandstone buildings to rot away till Mr Never-Caught burns them down.

None of the levelling-up requests covered the compulsory purchase and restitution of these beautiful buildings. This could help to address the city's problems with homeless people and bed-blocking at the hospitals

- The Council has recently had its Child-Safety responsibility removed after gross negligence resulted in the murder of an innocent child whose welfare had been repeatedly been reported.

- The unpopular Council Chief Executive ... salary £200,000+ ... has announced she is leaving. That leaves the charmless Council Leader to push for this levelling-up grant. She has taken many opportunities to slag off the Conservative Government but then expects it to hand over millions to an organisation with a terrible record of bringing in schemes on time and budget.

- A Council  that forbids planning permission for fast food shops within 250m of schools .  because of child obesity issues ...  is building secondary schools without playing fields. Yet, it has applied for £50million towards Odsal.

- We are to be the City of Culture in 2025 and the Council has claimed the city could get half a million visitors. At the same time, it is proposing to demolish four car parks.

For a laugh, anyone could read the comments on the announcement, as addressed by the Telegraph and Argus.:

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23260992.blow-50m-odsal-plan-levelling-fund-snubs-bradford/

It's rotten to the core and sadly nothing will change, I genuinely feel for the true Bradfordians, Rl fans on the whole would benefit from a strong Bradford team in a decent stadium. 

I think it's about time that Odsal should be abandoned and consigned to history. Like others have said it's design makes it very difficult to improve. It could generate quite a good deal of money from being used as a landfill site. It would be far cheaper to find a fresh site and build a more appropriate sized modern stadium from scratch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrueBull said:

Even Robbie Moore, Tory MP for Keighley, got Rishi Sunak round to visit 2weeks ago to explain how much of an innovative tech hub Keighley is , has failed with the levelling up money!

Looking at Sunak's hustings in the leadership campaign I'd be surprised if any levelling up money appeared anywhere that needed levelling up.

Least of all for TGG.

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 hours ago, TrueBull said:

£12m will be spent on Batley Town Centre. What a crock….

How many bulldozer's can you get for 12 million🤔

Batley Town Centre is just full of takeaways.... 

Oh I get it now... Silly me 🤔😉😉😉

Nevermind leveling up🤔

Batley just needs leveling 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by coolie

11 hours ago, coolie said:

How many bulldozer's can you get for 12 million🤔

Batley Town Centre is just full of takeaways.... 

Oh I get it now... Silly me 🤔😉😉😉

Nevermind leveling up🤔

Batley just needs leveling 🤣🤣🤣

They could then put all the rubble from a knocked-down Batley into the Odsal landfill.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

And Wuthering Heights obviously, Kate Bush loves a bit of Bradford...

I think the Kate had just fallen for Ian Van Bellen at the time....re-affirmed when he joined Fulham and played regularly at Craven Cottage. 

Forget about the dome HUDDERSFIELD GIANTS’ away friendly clash with the Bradford Bulls at Odsal Stadium has been forced into a change .Due to adverse weather conditions, the fixture will now take place at the home of the Dewsbury Rams, the FLAIR Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Interesting they've had adverse weather conditions in Bradford but not in Dewsbury or FEV who played at home last night

1 hour ago, POR said:

Forget about the dome HUDDERSFIELD GIANTS’ away friendly clash with the Bradford Bulls at Odsal Stadium has been forced into a change .Due to adverse weather conditions, the fixture will now take place at the home of the Dewsbury Rams, the FLAIR Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Interesting they've had adverse weather conditions in Bradford but not in Dewsbury or FEV who played at home last night

It froze over night, there were concerns that Leeds wouldn't be able to play at Leigh today. Its thick with fog and 0° outside.

Its not controversial.

3 hours ago, POR said:

The possibility of ice on the sweeping Odsal terraces must also have been a consideration. Besides which, the Flair Stadium is a much nicer venue.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

It froze over night, there were concerns that Leeds wouldn't be able to play at Leigh today. Its thick with fog and 0° outside.

Its not controversial.

T I was just having a bit of fun with my Bradford mates