Sat 18th Feb: SL: Hull Kingston Rovers v Wigan Warriors KO 13:00 (C4)

Who will win?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull Kingston Rovers
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/02/23 at 13:30

Wigan notorious slow starters, KR bolstered by a big crowd.

Wigan by 90.

Or 

Hull KR to catch Wigan on their slow start by 12.

This is the classic a team expected to be in the mix at the end of the season and a team wanting eraly points to get away from the bottom.

KR will go for a marker start and Wigan will go for we need to work on our processes for later.

Wigan won't get over KR's early doors enthusiasm and the latter will produce the required 'shock' headlines.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The bookies have Wigan finishing 2nd and Rovers finishing 11th so on that basis it should be easy enough for Wigan.

Wigan of course are formidable but Rovers have increased their salary spend by £350k and are at maximum cap for the first time since Justin Morgan. So it would be very disappointing if that extra spend far from seeing Rovers improve actually saw them drop down the table from 8th to 11th as the bookies are predicting.

I think Rovers are going to do significantly better than that. The additions of Jessie Sue, Rhys Kennedy and James Batchelor really look to have added quality and depth to the pack and the right hand edge has been significantly strengthened with the excellent Tom Opacic. We've also got key players like Coote and Abdull who missed the majority of last season with injury but are now fully fit with a full pre-season behind them.

Willie Peters will be the first Hull KR coach for many years to have a first choice 17 available not just for the first game but for any game.  That's a good start. I've been so impressed with Willie Peters but the hard bit of winning games is about to start.

Wigan are a great team with x-factor players and scintillating pace and I won't be foolish enough to back against them but they are not going to find it easy at Craven Park on Saturday IMO.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

The bookies have Wigan finishing 2nd and Rovers finishing 11th so on that basis it should be easy enough for Wigan.

When did Leigh drop the Lopards tag and take Rovers? Have I missed Degsy declaring his love for his favourite fictional public house? Was the leopard print really an ode to Bet Lynch and is the home shirt now a picture of Jack Duckworth and his celloptaped specs?

Not one bookie I’ve looked at has Hull KR as 11th. 

5 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Just double checked and after Rovers beat a very strong Leeds team 26-4 in the final pre-season game they are now predicted to be 10th. Prior to that they were 11th.

Final score from the Halliwell Jones :

Warrington 42 Leeds 10.

• Haha 1
                                                                  :kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

14 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Final score from the Halliwell Jones :

Warrington 42 Leeds 10.

Yeah no surprise to anyone who saw Leeds play Rovers. Work to do there, and no marker for Rovers quality I think

Wigan obviously favourites on paper, but Rovers at home and first game means we could have a shot. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

25 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Yeah no surprise to anyone who saw Leeds play Rovers. Work to do there, and no marker for Rovers quality I think

Wigan obviously favourites on paper, but Rovers at home and first game means we could have a shot. 

Good luck to Rovers, think it will be a cracking game. Surprised so many on here are tipping Wigan but Craven Park very hard place to go. 

I agree with the earlier poster about Wigan often being slow starters. But I'm really not sure about the 2023 KR side's strength either.

Let's hope it's as good to watch as Channel 4's other match today!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wigan haven't exactly had the best of records against Rovers in recent years. They've been a very difficult side for us to face. Obviously we won this fixture last year but we had a point to prove with a new head coach and coming off the back of a poor season. It's a bit different this year and it's now Hull KR with a new head coach looking to put a marker down and also facing his former club.

I'm genuinely leaning a little bit more towards Hull KR for this one. I still have some doubts about our pack but we've also got some newcomers with a point to prove and some youngsters who will hopefully be stronger this year. I'm looking forward to it.

Booze and snacks delivered, 10 minutes before the broadcast started. All set!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Fancy KR in this one and Ill be cheering them on

I don't and I certainly won't.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2
                                                                  :kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I love the way that Adam Hills presents rugby league like a kid excited to show off this cool new band he's heard of that he wants everyone else to hear.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I like Adam Hills but he certainly seems to go in for the irreverent puns.

Willie Peters is about to ''pop his cherry against the Cherry and Whites'' apparently.

Bit close to the bone for pre-watershed presentation, possibly.

Loving the C4 presentaion and vibe though. Makes it seem sexy and fun, compared to the often drab fare on Sky nowadays.