Thur 25th May: SL: Hull KR v Wigan Warriors KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull KR
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/05/23 at 19:30

37 minutes ago, MZH said:

If you think that was a forward pass then you need to learn what a forward pass is. The most dubious try of the night was the Ryan Hall one.

Yet those moaning about forward passes never said a word on that. Strange that.

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

Yes, I'd call that the River Hull flowing into the Humber Estuary 😉

I see your point about the Estuary, but it's still a river to me...its got a bridge over it. Still, I've seen bigger streams in the desert!😀😀👍👍🏞️

Edited by JohnM

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

Yes, I'd call that the River Hull flowing into the Humber Estuary 😉

We have a winner 👍

• Haha 2

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

By heck there's some serious tantrums on here by the resident Leythers, anyone would think they didn't want Wigan to win 🙂

Just warming up for the Wire game tonight which if they suffer a defeat it will be solely down to the officials.

2 hours ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

They got two competition points instead of one. Points difference is irrelevant in this case. 

But points difference on the field of play might be very relevant at the end of the season.  As for points for winning or losing, Wigan got two; despite being something of a Warriors' fan, I don't think they deserved that and nor did Rovers deserve to get nought!

2 hours ago, daz39 said:

By heck there's some serious tantrums on here by the resident Leythers, anyone would think they didn't want Wigan to win 🙂

That's the thing , I did want them to win more chance of us catching and overtaking HKR than Wigan IMO 

But lying on and interference spoils the game , and it was a forward pass 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MZH said:

Perhaps. But to be taken seriously they have to be able to turn positions like they were in last night into wins. Abdul or no Abdul they had the game wrapped up.

They have already beaten us, and were very close to winning last night. They deserve to be taken seriously, as they have a good squad and a coach who looks capable of getting the most out of them. 

6 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

They have already beaten us, and were very close to winning last night. They deserve to be taken seriously, as they have a good squad and a coach who looks capable of getting the most out of them. 

We beat you 😉

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

I find it sad at times that there is so much focus on decisions after a game like that. It was a superb advert for the sport last night and it's easy for me to say that when my side came out on the right side of the result but even as we were losing in the dying moment, I messaged a couple of mates and just said 'that's been a brilliant game' presuming we were done for. There were a couple of decisions I wasn't massively happy with during the game but that is the game in general. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MZH said:

But I was referring to your comment that you are the real deal this year. I suppose that comment is open to interpretation, but when people talk about teams being "the real deal" I automatically think about teams that can get to finals and win things. So when I talk about you having things to prove, what I mean is, if you are going to claim that you are real deal, you've got to walk the walk.

Nah, we're not Hull fans.

What I want is consistently to be in the playoffs and build consistency to become a Top 4 club over time. There hasn't been a single team we've faced that we haven't look like we could beat this season. That's not the same as expecting to win, or winning finals, but it is a sign that Rovers are now the real deal not just a lower-half side with the occassional excellent performance in them. 

Keep doing this, and we'll get to walk the walk. It's the journey I'm appreciating, not the destination. 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

7 hours ago, JohnM said:

Over here, on the other side of the river, we have technology that allows us to see a map and aerial imagery on our mobile phones, without having to "buy a map" 👍🌞.

Zooming in, I can see a sort of stream that joins the river on the north bank. Call that a river? 😀😀😀

Er yes, because it is one. The great city of Kingston is split by it. There's nothing of interest to the south, just pigs and potatoes I think, and people with webbed feet. 

• Haha 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Willie Peters, "...I’m not going to blame any referees. I will say there was a couple of decisions tonight that were in the ruck that they’ve let go in the past and tonight they made a ruling on, so now all I want to see is consistency around that."

Along with the question of momentum there is also the benefit of the doubt. A ref should call a breach of the rules only when he is certain beyond reasonable doubt.

That means every pass is legal unless officials are certain it travelled forward out of the hands. It will diminish and harm the game if we flip logic on its head and decree instead that every pass is illegal unless officials are certain it travelled backwards out of the hands.

It was a welcome change to see a Golden Point game decided by a try rather than a field goal. Apart from Rovers fans, would we really want to see a great moment like that rubbed out? Or endure a Video Ref spend 5 minutes trying to find evidence that the ball went forward out of the hands? It would seldom be conclusive, he would have to guess anyway.

The officials weren't certain last night, so they played on. Good refereeing.

2 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Nah, we're not Hull fans.

What I want is consistently to be in the playoffs and build consistency to become a Top 4 club over time. There hasn't been a single team we've faced that we haven't look like we could beat this season. That's not the same as expecting to win, or winning finals, but it is a sign that Rovers are now the real deal not just a lower-half side with the occassional excellent performance in them. 

Keep doing this, and we'll get to walk the walk. It's the journey I'm appreciating, not the destination. 

That's fair enough. 

Putting all banter and rivalry to one side, you are obviously a club on the up. Do I think you will win anything this year? No, I don't think you are quite at that level. But you will win more than you lose, bloody a few noses amongst the big boys, and play some entertaining rugby along the way. I was just taking you up on your use of the phrase "the real deal" which in my mind is reserved for the teams who have a real shot of winning it all.

• Like 1

Having now watched the game back I am no less disappointed than I was after the game but for all that it was a brilliant and exciting spectacle which most definitely could have gone either way.

Wigan in this mood are very tough all credit to them and in Bevan French they have a player who is a stand out in Super League. They were holding down all night and Wigan born ref (just saying) Tom Grant was tolerant. Under Grant Wigan have never lost a game and under Grant Rovers have never won a game. Again just saying.

Wigan were....  well  very Wigan like in the first half and when they went 4-14 early in the second it looked a lost cause for Rovers. But we found a renewed energy and pretty much bossed the game for the next half hour. We were outstanding and at 22-14 probably should have seen the game out.

We didn't and that might be seen as a minor weakness. That's two games we have been ahead with seconds left and come out empty handed.

Mikey Lewis really must stop hitting the post! His penalty against Warrington which struck woodwork probably cost us the game and this time in extra time his DG striking the upright absolutely definitely did. It's such small margins and we could easily be a place or two higher. Yes everyone else has their hard luck stories too.

Belief from others is something that has to be earned and we are getting there. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should think Rovers will win anything until we actually do. It's already obvious that Rovers are going to have an even better team next year.

On a connected theme surely we are finally seeing the Super League that everyone hoped for. Cas and Wakey are having it tough but there are 10 other teams all of decent quality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Wigan in this mood are very tough all credit to them and in Bevan French they have a player who is a stand out in Super League. They were holding down all night and Wigan born ref (just saying) Tom Grant was tolerant. Under Grant Wigan have never lost a game and under Grant Rovers have never won a game. Again just saying.

Tom Grant wasn't the referee, it was Jack Smith. You're right that Wigan haven't lost under Smith but he's only taken charge of 5 Wigan games in his career.

Rovers have a 50% win record with Jack Smith in the last 2 seasons. Wins against Salford, Warrington and Hull FC (last month) and defeats to Wire and Wigan this year and Leeds in 2022.

Just saying.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Having now watched the game back I am no less disappointed than I was after the game but for all that it was a brilliant and exciting spectacle which most definitely could have gone either way.

Wigan were....  well  very Wigan like in the first half and when they went 4-14 early in the second it looked a lost cause for Rovers. But we found a renewed energy and pretty much bossed the game for the next half hour. We were outstanding and at 22-14 probably should have seen the game out.

We didn't and that might be seen as a minor weakness. That's two games we have been ahead with seconds left and come out empty handed.

Mikey Lewis really must stop hitting the post! His penalty against Warrington which struck woodwork probably cost us the game and this time in extra time his DG striking the upright absolutely definitely did. It's such small margins and we could easily be a place or two higher. Yes everyone else has their hard luck stories too.

Belief from others is something that has to be earned and we are getting there. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should think Rovers will win anything until we actually do. It's already obvious that Rovers are going to have an even better team next year.

On a connected theme surely we are finally seeing the Super League that everyone hoped for. Cas and Wakey are having it tough but there are 10 other teams all of decent quality.

The referee was Jack Smith (Wigan) not Tom Grant ( Wigan).

Edited by Jinking Jimmy

In that last minute of normal time Rovers should have been smarter and held down for longer than what they did and I'm sure in future it is something that will be learned from and Wigans first and last tries in normal time were caused by defenders rushing out of the line. It was a great effort and a great game but it was ultimately a game that should not have been lost. 

On 26/05/2023 at 23:49, DimmestStar said:

The game doesn’t help itself. It was Jack Smith, as pointed out above but he is also a Wiganer. There are a massive percentage of the refs from Wigan, so maybe we have to have one at times but it happens too often for me and it leaves the refs open to accusations of bias. You say he was bias because he was a Wiganer but Wigan fans will say he’s biased against them, as he wants to prove he’s not leaning towards his town team.

We always seem to get Liam Moore for Saints games and it irritates the life out of me. I do feel like he goes out of his way to show he’s not a bias Wiganer in that fixture but realistically I’m just being a cynical fan and the refs are professional and just call games as they see fit, without any bias either way. The game should be doing better in avoiding the issue though. 

1 hour ago, WN83 said:

The game doesn’t help itself. It was Jack Smith, as pointed out above but he is also a Wiganer. There are a massive percentage of the refs from Wigan, so maybe we have to have one at times but it happens too often for me and it leaves the refs open to accusations of bias. You say he was bias because he was a Wiganer but Wigan fans will say he’s biased against them, as he wants to prove he’s not leaning towards his town team.

We always seem to get Liam Moore for Saints games and it irritates the life out of me. I do feel like he goes out of his way to show he’s not a bias Wiganer in that fixture but realistically I’m just being a cynical fan and the refs are professional and just call games as they see fit, without any bias either way. The game should be doing better in avoiding the issue though. 

Avoiding what issue? A Match Official should not officiate in a game involving a team that he supports but preventing them from officiating where he lives or was born makes no sense. 

The perceived bias, both for & against, is solely in the fans eyes. Yes those same fans who are happy to have players from wherever. 

• Like 1

I don’t know where any of the officials come from and i don’t care either. I cant even put names to faces.
I know people who get so worked up over them, you only have to say “referee” and their faces go red with anger. I don’t think that type of supporter will ever change.

I have asked some of them why do they bother going to a match if they get so worked up and annoyed at officials. 

• Like 1