Wigan v Penrith World Club challenge at the JJB

20 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It`s a shame that new fans today won`t be seeing the long-range tries like they had in those days. That`s the sort of things that gets people hooked on the sport.

Yeah, plodders like Bevan French, Jai Field, Brian To'o and Sunia Turuva are ruining the WCC before it's even started.

• Haha 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Click said:

There were no tries in those highlights that you don't see in a regular season of SL, I have no idea what you are talking about. 

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Yeah, plodders like Bevan French, Jai Field, Brian To'o and Sunia Turuva are ruining the WCC before it's even started.

Look don`t get me wrong, I`m well aware that there are plenty of other aspects where the game has come a long way, but seeing long-range open field running and broken field play resulting in tries or near tries are really a thing of the past, players are too well drilled in tackling these days, you just don`t see them much anymore, much is the pity. And btw no team is more suffocating than Penrith.

But I`ll be watching I can guarantee you that, no matter what time of day it is over here and mightily looking forward to it as well.

• Like 1

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Look don`t get me wrong, I`m well aware that there are plenty of other aspects where the game has come a long way, but seeing long-range open field running and broken field play resulting in tries or near tries are really a thing of the past, players are too well drilled in tackling these days, you just don`t see them much anymore, much is the pity. And btw no team is more suffocating than Penrith.

But I`ll be watching I can guarantee you that, no matter what time of day it is over here and mightily looking forward to it as well.

I am not sure if I need to respond after the video Futtocks posted... 

Just because teams are more well drilled doesn't make players super human. There were no tries in that match you don't get in a regular round of SL. You regularly get teams breaking through the line in their own half. 

Like I said in another thread - Nostalgia is an amazing thing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

It`s a shame that new fans today won`t be seeing the long-range tries like they had in those days. That`s the sort of things that gets people hooked on the sport.

Ryan Hall...

11 hours ago, sam4731 said:

"Rugby League is meant to be accessible to the masses unlike football. We should only ever sell half the capacity for a stadium to show how we are in touch with the man on the street"

"Selling out a stadium is just so bourgeois, its what the rich people want us to do, they want to control us, its just so sell out to erm...sell out......"

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, dkw said:

"Selling out a stadium is just so bourgeois, its what the rich people want us to do, they want to control us, its just so sell out to erm...sell out......"

And to be truly egalitarian, all tickets should be priced at £1 each.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Did you watch last year's WCC?

The first try was literally a 78m try. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

And to be truly egalitarian, all tickets should be priced at £1 each.

No, the price needs to pitched at a point that we get complaints, not just from people saying we're selling ourselves cheap, but also the ones saying "HOW much? The RFL must think we're made of money."

• Haha 3

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Has anybody thought in the future to take games like these to the Etihad Stadium Manchest (54,5OO). It looks like a big picture and is better than OT which has a very short playing area.

Also don't the RFL are based  nearby and for this year the Penrith team are based there too.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

8 minutes ago, audois said:

Has anybody thought in the future to take games like these to the Etihad Stadium Manchest (54,5OO). It looks like a big picture and is better than OT which has a very short playing area.

Also don't the RFL are based  nearby and for this year the Penrith team are based there too.

Man City have always been reluctant to host games in the Football season. I can't see that changing anytime soon.

It would require a mid RL season WCC, which I think would be great and would help elevate the WCC immensely, for something like this to happen. The NRL and its clubs would be the biggest blockers to that, at least for a game on these shores.

20 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

The game will be sold out very shortly, it looks like the South, East and West stands have no tickets left on sale and the North (the "away" end) has less than 100 tickets remaining.

Are the parking places sold out? Where's the best place for a long distance visitor to park? 

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

Are the parking places sold out? Where's the best place for a long distance visitor to park? 

Getting to the stadium | Wigan Warriors

There are plenty of official car parks off Stadium Way, see the link above or for a better view Google maps it - the car parks are all clearly shown. There will be pay on the day, only league games are included in the pre-pay annual pass, and I haven't seen anything to say the club are pre-selling individual spots for the WCC.

I normally street park in the Frog Lane area (see Google maps) and walk to the ground, find it much easier to get away post-match. Don't park on Robin Retail Park itself or any double yellows in the area, I have noticed previously the council traffic wardens really love a big game at the DW, no matter how late it is.

Get there early, park up and walk to Robin Retail Park for a brew and food, or visit Wigan's Robin Park training complex right next door to the DW -  they'll have live music, food, bars etc on.

Food and drink inside the stadium itself is bland (burger vans outside are better) and there will be long, slow moving, queues. No restrictions on taking food and non-alcoholic drinks into the ground. 

Edited by Whippet13
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated. I hope Wigan murder 'em. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Sold out with 5 weeks to go. Brilliant performance from everyone at the club.

And also a brilliant performance from the fans - whether Wigan, neutral or any Penrith.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Plenty of time to move it to somewhere bigger, now. 

No point, I read a Wigan Athletic fan saying there are only 25,000 Rugby League fans in the whole country, so we'll all be there on the night. 

Just need a competitive performance from Wigan (as a minimum) to hopefully continue the breath of life the Saints win over there has given this match.

Only consistently being competitive in this game can really see it take off.

Good luck to Wigan - can’t wait for the match, should be a tremendous evening.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 9

On 20/01/2024 at 10:31, Futtocks said:

No, the price needs to pitched at a point that we get complaints, not just from people saying we're selling ourselves cheap, but also the ones saying "HOW much? The RFL must think we're made of money."

£2?