Televised games next season - has it been sorted yet?

Yorky

24 minutes ago, M j M said:

Sure. But if this is an opportunity to showcase the sport having the first BBC game at a 2/3rds empty John Smith's Stadium is not the opening gambit I'd chose.

Wigan vs Penrith at a sold-out JJB or whatever it's called these days, on the other hand, would be a perfect opener.

Edited by JonM
  • Like 7

50 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Then it's down to Huddersfield to make sure it isn't. Hopefully.

Huddersfield should look at this as an opportunity, market the ###### out of it, get sponsorship in, make it a special day.

• Like 3

Obviously we should want the game to look good on the BBC, but we should remember that it is likely that these league games will look better than the Cup games that the BBC currently show, which are affected by their all-pay status.

• Like 4

In addition to the cup games (2 on terrestrial TV from round 5/6 usually), we could be looking at an average equivalent of nearly a game a every other week on the Beeb across the season. 

Saturday afternoons, in summer, prime RL time should be on display. Great result for the sport.

• Like 2

I may have misunderstood the cut and pasted article, but if they are covering Wigan Penrith, then that would be the game on 24th Feb (rather than the Giants one). Which would be fantastic. Hope that makes sense. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

In addition to the cup games (2 on terrestrial TV from round 5/6 usually), we could be looking at an average equivalent of nearly a game a every other week on the Beeb across the season. 

Saturday afternoons, in summer, prime RL time should be on display. Great result for the sport.

Wettest Summer since records began - guaranteed! :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I may have misunderstood the cut and pasted article, but if they are covering Wigan Penrith, then that would be the game on 24th Feb (rather than the Giants one). Which would be fantastic. Hope that makes sense. 

BBC will show a dozen or so regular SL games, plus the WCC.

• Like 2

This is fantastic.

Yes, some rah rahrists will be having a pop but there will be a lot of people accidently tuning in and some of them will get hooked.

• Like 2

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Serious abut RL website says Premier Sports are coming back in too.

I hope so, I enjoyed Viaplays voverage of the Championship

Edited by Bearman
  • Like 4

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

These are very exciting developments. I wonder why we are selling 12/27 Saturdays? Or, alternatively, why are the BBC - like C4 last year - not doing this every round?

Also noticed that we seem to have built in a Sunday 1500 fixture most weeks - will that be another property for someone to pick up?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

You lost me at word 5, but who knows, even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Be good if true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

If Serious About RL says it, it probably won't be true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having the Wigan v Penrith game on the BBC is great.

Trouble is Wigan's first game of the season is currently scheduled as Castleford away, Saturday 17th February, 3pm kick off. That would appear a dead ringer for the first BBC televised SL game of the season. All they have to do is change the kick off time.

The down side is that the first fixture is at probably the worst ground in SL. The up side of course is that Wigan would be on two weeks together!

• Like 1

Assuming this is true, no reason to believe it isn't at this stage... What superb news.

Especially if there is a scheduled Saturday evening game. Irregular timeslots definitely didn't help channel4 coverage.

Straight after the 3pm football is only a good thing surely...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tiffers said:

Assuming this is true, no reason to believe it isn't at this stage... What superb news.

Especially if there is a scheduled Saturday evening game. Irregular timeslots definitely didn't help channel4 coverage.

Straight after the 3pm football is only a good thing surely...

East Riding 26 - Heart of Mid Lancashire 12

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

Having the Wigan v Penrith game on the BBC is great.

Trouble is Wigan's first game of the season is currently scheduled as Castleford away, Saturday 17th February, 3pm kick off. That would appear a dead ringer for the first BBC televised SL game of the season. All they have to do is change the kick off time.

The down side is that the first fixture is at probably the worst ground in SL. The up side of course is that Wigan would be on two weeks together!

Cas is a tight little ground that looks packed and atmospheric on TV. There's no issues with going there.

• Like 6

Super League live on the BBC is fantastic news.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Based on what is reported, I cannot see any downside. A better kick off slot, a free to air broadcast partner paying to show matches, on a channel that tends to attract greater number of viewers, an increase from 10 matches shown FTA to 12.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Now, just to be clear; have IMG had a hand in this or not?

Yes - about time, but why isn’t is £10,000,000 a year.

No - what the hell do they do all day. Thought they were experts?

Thought I’d summarise the next 10 pages for you before they happen. Don’t mention it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910