Is it a new dawn for Salford?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the side Salford have put together - it is so well balanced and exciting to watch. Their spine is as good as any in the league with much more to come from Carney (you don't win the Dally M without having some talent). Can't see them winning the shield or enjoying themselves in the autumn enough but I could see the Doctor leading them out at Wembley. 

Their devleopment as certain top 8ers will have a knock on effect elsewhere. What chance Saints to be 9th? 

The key to Salford was the stability in the playing squad. Many of the current crop were at the club last year under the same coach. Strengthen in a couple of areas, have a good pre-season and you are ready to challenge.

1 hour ago, The Daddy_merged said:

They're having a smashing season and just wonder if they will start to get better crowds now? 

Does anyone think they have a chance of making the grand final or winning any silverware thus season

I do hope so. I think it will take more than one season, though.

As for winning anything, let's not get carried away. From the comments I've read, most of the fans can't quite believe what is happening. We are just about daring to dream right now, but no one is counting any chickens just yet.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

After watching Salford beating Castleford and being good value for the win, I thought they looked a good team and I have seen nothing since to change my mind.

Should be nailed on for top 4 and maybe some silverware.

Would love to see Cas play Salford at Wembley.

Hull, Wigan and the like may ruin my dream though.

There's a lot of lost faith to be re-earned, but surely there are lapsed Salford fans who see the matches, or highlights, or match reports this year who are thinking "if this isn't just another false dawn*, I might take in a match or two at the new stadium after all". They do have to show quality in both victory and defeat for a longer stretch than this, though.

*or, to quote John Cleese in 'Clockwise', "It isn't the despair that gets you down... it's the hope".

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, The Daddy_merged said:

They're having a smashing season and just wonder if they will start to get better crowds now? 

Does anyone think they have a chance of making the grand final or winning any silverware thus season

Would be good if they published their crowds for a start.  I always struggle to find them.

They certainly have as good a shot as any other.  Two things might affect that.  One, obviously injuries, but the other is MK getting excited and bringing in someone who affects the equilibrium.

Is it a new dawn for Salford?

If the number of players wanting to play for and stay with SRD is anything to go by the answer should be  ... Yes!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Many of the current squad have signed extensions most 3 years.

Are they the real deal? difficult to say as most Salford fans are just waiting for it all to go wrong. There is a vastly improved atmosphere are the club.

Crowds wont rise greatly, I would love to see the crowds get about 5,000 each week.

as you say each false dawn chips away at the fans, having watched them for over 40 years this is certainly true for me,

Salford have the lost generation problem.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Steady on, they've only beaten Hull FC.

(Copyright S.Reed 07/04/2017)

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

The coach has to take a lot of credit for this, he seems to have given the club a focal point and direction, they come across no longer as the doctors play thing, there to entertain Caligula, but as a team, a team with a game plan and a focus.

50 minutes ago, Padge said:

Salford have the lost generation problem.

Salford only played their last game at The Willows 5 and a half years ago and that got 10k. Is this an SNP generation?

Coventry City played at Northampton Town for 2 years yet took 45,000 to Wembley last week. Winners will draw crowds but it needs to be a genuine charge to the top.

As a Salford fan for 50 years, these are exciting times. Even with the great side of the 70's, we didn't attract great crowds. But hopefully our crowds will build up to the 10k or more that these players, Ian Watson, and most of all Marwan Koukash deserve.

19 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Salford only played their last game at The Willows 5 and a half years ago and that got 10k. Is this an SNP generation?

Coventry City played at Northampton Town for 2 years yet took 45,000 to Wembley last week. Winners will draw crowds but it needs to be a genuine charge to the top.

You don't understand the generation gap.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

It feels like a new dawn for super league.  Ive never known so many strong top flight squads.  Salford were pretty decent last year if you remove the points deduction and they've gone up a notch again.  Exciting times.

A couple of pleasant surprises.

Firstly Koukash seems to be enjoying himself more, he is dealing with things with more humour rather than angry rants on twitter and this certainly makes him more likeable. I made the point that not everybody likes the 'everybody hates us' mentality as it is negative and can be draining and i think creating a positive environment is better. He is now doing that.

Secondly, Watson is doing a great job.  Really happy to see a young British manager doing well after sticking with him. He seems level headed and smart and has them playing a nice brand of Rugby.

On crowds, well if they keep winning they can only improve, but there are big challenges there. It is the one thing Koukash remains frustrated by on twitter.

Great to see Cas and Salford leading the charge.

Super League needs a team like Cas or Salford to win at Old Trafford. I'm sure no-one needs reminding that only 4 clubs have won SL in over 20 years. 

While it's exciting to see these teams doing well now, if it's another Wigan, Saints or Leeds win at OT, it will all be for nowt.

8 minutes ago, goldcoaster said:

Super League needs a team like Cas or Salford to win at Old Trafford. I'm sure no-one needs reminding that only 4 clubs have won SL in over 20 years. 

While it's exciting to see these teams doing well now, if it's another Wigan, Saints or Leeds win at OT, it will all be for nowt.

I don't see that - and if we have reached that point it is sad and stupid. Unlike Oz winning the league has done for a long time and can mean a great deal, while winning the Cup is an absolutely massive thing. Which brings us to 7 clubs in the last 5 years by my reckoning...

18 hours ago, The Daddy_merged said:

I think they have a fairly good chance, my worry were I a Salford fan would be whether there squad is sufficient to cope inevitable injuries as the season goes on.

Archived