Biggest upset in Challenge Cup history?

What in your opinion is the biggest upset in Challenge Cup history?

This is building upon Matthew Shaw's question in this week's copy of League Express.

He suggest it's possible that Swinton's win (given the circumstances of both teams) over Huddersfield might take the crown.

I guess for me the it's probably still Sheffield's win over Wigan in the '98 final.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for being a boring old whatsit, but unless you know the details of every Challenge Cup game since the competition's inception as, I think, the Northern Rugby Football Union Challenge Trophy, then who can say?  Certainly not me!

2 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Sorry for being a boring old whatsit, but unless you know the details of every Challenge Cup game since the competition's inception as, I think, the Northern Rugby Football Union Challenge Trophy, then who can say?  Certainly not me!

The question is what is in your opinion the biggest Challenge Cup upset ever?

There's probably no definitive answer, but it is always interesting to hear different perspectives on what it might be.

Hull KR v Oldham last season was another big shock, probably level with Swintons win imho. Another huge one was in 1989/90 Oldham beating the then World Champions Widnes at Naughton Park,with all their stars like Tait,Offiah,Sorenson,Currier,Grima,Koloto,Myler et al in the quarter final 16-4, Second division Oldham at the time too, was an awesome day that one.

Overall, although I'm biased that was the biggest shock I can remember. In the Finals then of course it has to be Sheffield vWigan

Once saw 1st Division Wakefield beaten at home by 2nd division Whitehaven.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Well considering its subjective you couldn't be wrong so indulge yourself...

For me I think the bigger upsets are when part time teams beat full time teams so the biggest have been in the recent past. I remember Hunslet beating Huddersfield a few years ago which was a big one. This Swinton one must be up there though.

Toulouse beating Widnes was big. sheffield and fev should be up there too give that upsets ought to be less likely in a final.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Salford in 96 beating Wigan who had won around 48 consecutive games over 10 years meaning that the challenge cup would be going to a destination outside wigan for the first time since 87.

What's more impressive is Salford were second tier part timers against the biggest club in the country.. .

In contrast Hudds have lost 8 in a row  and struggling in SL against a team who had dual reg Wigan players!

11 minutes ago, Ullman said:

:biggrin:

Very good

+1.

:kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Didn't National League 2 Hunslet beat Super League Huddersfield in 2003? That's a big shock.

Do you remember the state of that Huddersfield team? :ph34r:

I must admit that one did occur to me though.

Toulouse v Widnes 2005? Trent Robinson at 13, Fabrice Estabanez running riot out wide.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Do you remember the state of that Huddersfield team? :ph34r:

I must admit that one did occur to me though.

Toulouse v Widnes 2005? Trent Robinson at 13, Fabrice Estabanez running riot out wide.

That was the first time the BBC showed a Cup tie from France, wasn't it? They had a good crack at Leeds in the next round too that year. I remember Sebastien Raguin had a couple of good matches in that run, too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Don't know about biggest but Wath Brow putting Workington Town to the sword in their 3rd round tie in 02/03 was pretty special.

Egremont had already done it a few years earlier so the Brow were only second best Davo ;-)

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

:biggrin:

Hull winning at Wembley, whenever that was, was hardly a shock. They had tried so many times it became inevitable. The shock was that Warrington played that badly!

Having said that Rovers beating Warrington when outside Super League was a shock to some.

3 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Didn't National League 2 Hunslet beat Super League Huddersfield in 2003? That's a big shock.

Yes, Hunslet did beat Huddersfield and was in National League 2, at the time but we were at home.

The bigger Challenge cup shock to me was Hunslet beating Hull KR in the eighties 12.11 when we were a league below them, Hull KR was packed with internationals and used to win nearly everything at that time. Huddersfield was no near as good as Hull KR by comparison. 

10 hours ago, yipyee said:

Salford in 96 beating Wigan who had won around 48 consecutive games over 10 years meaning that the challenge cup would be going to a destination outside wigan for the first time since 87.

What's more impressive is Salford were second tier part timers against the biggest club in the country.. .

In contrast Hudds have lost 8 in a row  and struggling in SL against a team who had dual reg Wigan players!

I was there and feel the pain still, just as I was at Wembley to see Sheffield v Wigan. My life is one of constant pain!

8 hours ago, yanto said:

Egremont had already done it a few years earlier so the Brow were only second best Davo ;-)

Egremont were full of ex pros and probably had a bigger wage bill than Town,been a long time since the Brow were 2nd best to Egremont mate

Archived