The World Cup goes ahead

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gomersall said:

What exactly is the problem for the NZRL. Too many new infections in the UK? They don't think there are safety protocols in place? 

I notice that in Tokyo, 1,400 new cases in a day. Two cases with athletes have been identified as having Covid in the village with many still to enter the village. With 11,000 athletes plus many more support staff arrived or coming, I'd see this as a scale of operation that dwarfs the RLWC. I'm not sure what assurances the NZ and Australian Olympic committees have sought. They may have to withdraw from that event as it seems to be a potentially worse situation. Interesting times. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

21 hours ago, Dave T said:

For an ordinary series there is some truth in that - the Aussie have generally returned bigger crowds than the Kiwis, but that is because we have been poor at getting the new fans into grounds. We do it at some grounds like in London and we got 67k in for Eng v NZ in 2013, and 10k higher for the Kiwis than when we played the Aussies at Olympic Stadium. 

In 2008, England v NZ got a higher crowd for the WC semi than for the Aussie semi. In 2013 the Kiwis were a bigger draw than the Aussies, and in 2017 the Aussies were hardly a draw, with the likes of Tonga being a bigger draw. 

When we move outside of our normal fan base, which is what an Rlwc should be doing, the Aussies are not a great draw. 

I'm not ruling it out, but an Aussie group game isn't on my must see list. 

Agreed.

A test series (depending on where it is played) will probably draw on existing Rugby League fans who attend regular season games but a tournament is a different type of draw.

The 2013 Rugby League World Cup review showed that just under 40 per cent of ticket sales were to people residing outside the North of England.

https://www.rlwc2021.com/article/18/review-reveals-extent-of-rugby-league-world-cup-2013-success

So, either a large number of non regular fans attended or our sports fan base is far and wide... either dispels the misconception that the cup will only draw attendances from the existing club fan base.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Agreed.

A test series (depending on where it is played) will probably draw on existing Rugby League fans who attend regular season games but a tournament is a different type of draw.

The 2013 Rugby League World Cup review showed that just under 40 per cent of ticket sales were to people residing outside the North of England.

https://www.rlwc2021.com/article/18/review-reveals-extent-of-rugby-league-world-cup-2013-success

So, either a large number of non regular fans attended or our sports fan base is far and wide... either dispels the misconception that the cup will only draw attendances from the existing club fan base.

We also then manufactured a situation where England had no further home games for 2 years 😕 Master plan.

4 hours ago, RayCee said:

What exactly is the problem for the NZRL. Too many new infections in the UK? They don't think there are safety protocols in place? 

I notice that in Tokyo, 1,400 new cases in a day. Two cases with athletes have been identified as having Covid in the village with many still to enter the village. With 11,000 athletes plus many more support staff arrived or coming, I'd see this as a scale of operation that dwarfs the RLWC. I'm not sure what assurances the NZ and Australian Olympic committees have sought. They may have to withdraw from that event as it seems to be a potentially worse situation. Interesting times. 

Tokyo has 1 Olympic Village and most athletes 1 venue.

Presumably, the RL teams are going to be located at 15-20 hotels and travelling to lots of different venues across the country. Throw in a portion of players refusing the vaccine, lots of macho young men many maybe on their first visit here and a pandemic in the UK which might peak in September with 100,000 cases a day, then what could possibly go wrong?

I've got tickets to 3 games and really hope there no major problems, but it looks high risk event.

it needs someone like for eg - james graham to come out over there and say things like "origin is stale and boring, people in the uk are bored of it" - "if some players are scared to go to the uk let them cower at home" - "they are not exactly been asked to dig trenches at the somme" they respect jammer over there- nowt wrong with ruffling a few feathers and getting some reaction

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Agreed.

That ticket sales statistic is a bit disingenuous considering that about 6% were at the two matches in the French heartland, making the sales to Brits residing outside the North of England a little less than 1/3 of the total.  They also don't say anything about the makeup of that 1/3, a good chunk of which were likely northerners living in the south or Midlands.

That aside, with only two matches outside the North of England this time, the percentage of tickets sold to Brits residing outside the North of England is bound to be lower and it might be a lot lower.

8 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

That ticket sales statistic is a bit disingenuous considering that about 6% were at the two matches in the French heartland, making the sales to Brits residing outside the North of England a little less than 1/3 of the total.  They also don't say anything about the makeup of that 1/3, a good chunk of which were likely northerners living in the south or Midlands.

That aside, with only two matches outside the North of England this time, the percentage of tickets sold to Brits residing outside the North of England is bound to be lower and it might be a lot lower.

We don't need the mental gymnastics to put a negative slant on it. 

The focus this time has to be to sell tickets at a premium price instead of almost giving them away in 2013, and we have new populations to go at with the presence in Newcastle and Liverpool in particular. 

2013 showed the Rlwc is a great tournament, now we need to monetise that. We have already seen it from sponsors, government investment etc. 

11 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Pretty sure they announced a while back better than ever sales in the South of England?

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

11 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

At the Wembley semi-final, I bumped into members of my wife's extended family (from Oxford) who I didn't know were going to be there. It was their first live RL game. I bumped into an ex work colleague and his girlfriend (from High Wycombe) - also their first live RL game.

A world cup semi final at Wembley is a big deal regardless of the sport. There are millions of people in the south of England who will happily part with their money to see it. The fact that we didn't bother to play any more games in England after 2013 and through away that goodwill was a disaster.

Total agree with the concept of selling the initial tickets at the premium price (You want the best seats then you have to pay for them simple as that) 

Back in 2005 I assisted the London Broncos with a match in Perpignan v Leeds Rhinos in Super League the entire idea was to help promote the entry of the Dragons in 2006,i think that we ended up with a crowd of 6500 (Maybe 7000) we had to guarantee the London Broncos £ 80K to cover their costs which we paid, we sold the first 5000 tickets for Euros 50 and after that Euros 30 which the locals happily paid for the match ended up making an overall profit of around £ 100K after all the extra costs promotion professional cheerleaders free programme opera singer from Paris stadium hire security and some fantastic hospitality.

Bottom line is we have a fantastic product do not under sell it.

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Total agree with the concept of selling the initial tickets at the premium price (You want the best seats then you have to pay for them simple as that) 

Back in 2005 I assisted the London Broncos with a match in Perpignan v Leeds Rhinos in Super League the entire idea was to help promote the entry of the Dragons in 2006,i think that we ended up with a crowd of 6500 (Maybe 7000) we had to guarantee the London Broncos £ 80K to cover their costs which we paid, we sold the first 5000 tickets for Euros 50 and after that Euros 30 which the locals happily paid for the match ended up making an overall profit of around £ 100K after all the extra costs promotion professional cheerleaders free programme opera singer from Paris stadium hire security and some fantastic hospitality.

Bottom line is we have a fantastic product do not under sell it.

P

PS/I forgot we also covered the Rhinos costs flights hotels etc.

they remind me of that Aunty that never wants to come to Christmas and makes a seen about it, but in the end they end up going because they don't want to be alone on Christmas day.

12 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

Not that I’ve seen so far...

49 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Gus makes some very good points here whether we like it or not.

A lot of that just sounds like the NRL wanting to dictate the international game and being unhappy that the IRL have actually not done what they want.

I'm also a bit sick of hearing about the NZ Warriors and Melbourne being away for or 2 years, for the NRL, as an excuse for them not being away for 6 weeks. All the player welfare points are negated when the NRL don't give a hoot about player welfare when players are backing up after SOO. As usual the NRL themselves do one one then preach for others to do another.

23 minutes ago, Damien said:

A lot of that just sounds like the NRL wanting to dictate the international game and being unhappy that the IRL have actually not done what they want.

I'm also a bit sick of hearing about the NZ Warriors and Melbourne being away for or 2 years as an excuse for them not being away for 6 weeks. All the player welfare points are negated when the NRL don't give a hoot about player welfare when players are backing up after SOO. As usual the NRL themselves do one one then preach for others to do another.

Its bull, back  in 50’s and before the Touring sides came by boat and where away months. Once again its the NRL wanting its own way. 

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

He hasn't said anything new though, it's all a re-hash of what's been said already. To say no NRL player has been told about any of the protocols and potential impacts and that none will want to come over when they find out is just absurd, players and coaches are openly saying they want to come over. Gould doesn't even realise the chairman of the IRL is an Australian, which shows his lack of interest in the international game. Every single Southern hemisphere apart from Australia has signed up to come, this interview is all about protecting the NRL...again.

Edit - and whilst what the NZW (especially) and MS players and staff have done is commendable, they have NOT spent 2 years away from home.

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

He makes some good points if you are in the camp that says the NRL is the most important and only consideration. 

He makes some terrible points considering every other sport on the planet is able to send Australian participants to Wimbledon, the Open, the Olympics, the Tour de France etc. etc.

The NRL don't want the inconvenience and they will mask it as a safety issue.

He cites the players and uses Melbourne as an example and yet the only Melbourne player I have seen quoted on the issue (Justin Olam) has said he can't wait to play at the World Cup.  The NRL will use the players as pawns and then say they are fulfilling their wishes.

(I am trying not to argue with you here... just Gould).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I'm also a bit sick of hearing about the NZ Warriors and Melbourne being away for or 2 years, for the NRL, as an excuse for them not being away for 6 weeks. All the player welfare points are negated when the NRL don't give a hoot about player welfare when players are backing up after SOO. As usual the NRL themselves do one one then preach for others to do another.

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

He hasn't said anything new though, it's all a re-hash of what's been said already. To say no NRL player has been told about any of the protocols and potential impacts and that none will want to come over when they find out is just absurd, players and coaches are openly saying they want to come over. Gould doesn't even realise the chairman of the IRL is an Australian, which shows his lack of interest in the international game. Every single Southern hemisphere apart from Australia has signed up to come, this interview is all about protecting the NRL...again.

Edit - and whilst what the NZW (especially) and MS players and staff have done is commendable, they have NOT spent 2 years away from home.

43 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He makes some good points if you are in the camp that says the NRL is the most important and only consideration. 

He makes some terrible points considering every other sport on the planet is able to send Australian participants to Wimbledon, the Open, the Olympics, the Tour de France etc. etc.

The NRL don't want the inconvenience and they will mask it as a safety issue.

He cites the players and uses Melbourne as an example and yet the only Melbourne player I have seen quoted on the issue (Justin Olam) has said he can't wait to play at the World Cup.  The NRL will use the players as pawns and then say they are fulfilling their wishes.

(I am trying not to argue with you here... just Gould).

Just be clear here - when I said he makes 'very good points' I should've added 'as to what will be used as the excuses' - I certainly didn't mean it in the sense I agree. 

Why don’t the Australians just select a few office staff to travel, and select players / coaches who are super league based? Sure they won’t have their strongest team but it’s a one-off and the future of RL in Europe is more important than who wins the tournament.

Archived