Premier Sports

I just watched the highlights of York v Fev (thanks to the person who posted the link!) and it was fantastic.

The ground, the lighting, the crowd, the commentary, the football, fantastico.

I'm hooked. Bring it on. 

• Like 5

On 05/02/2022 at 06:07, Gav Wilson said:

I'm afraid thats the future of television BSJ. In a few years it'll all be online and on demand via apps, in fact it almost is right now (now I have Sky Glass I no longer even have an aerial or sky dish on my house). People have to move with the times.

The Premier Player app is absolutely fine for this.

I’m in Australia and watch all my TV through apps. Even Foxtel (the equivalent of Sky), that you can get a box for, I watch through an app and cast to the TV. Amazon Prime, Netflix, Stan - even the free to air channels like 7, 9 and 10 have apps and I watch everything through them as I can watch programs when I want - not just when they’re actually on. It’s all very easy 

• Like 2

On 03/02/2022 at 18:49, Smudger06 said:

Fabulous figures for a channel massively hidden the shadow of the two Giants, Sky Sports & BT Sports. 

According to the Director of Programmes at Premier Sports, last night's match between Featherstone and Leigh generated an average audience of 75,100 and a peak audience of 90,000.

It was a higher audience than any other audience on any UK Sports channel at any time yesterday.

Inevitably, Premier Sports are feeling pleased about this.

I'm very glad to see that the muddy conditions didn't have a negative impact.

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

According to the Director of Programmes at Premier Sports, last night's match between Featherstone and Leigh generated an average audience of 75,100 and a peak audience of 90,000.

It was a higher audience than any other audience on any UK Sports channel at any time yesterday.

Surprised that Premier has 90,000 subscribers at all, let alone that many watching second division rugby league at once. Are we sure these figures are above board?

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Surprised that Premier has 90,000 subscribers at all, let alone that many watching second division rugby league at once. Are we sure these figures are above board?

Why are we conditioned in Rugby League to suspect good news when we see it?

They are coming from their top man, who tells me that Premier had a three-month target for new subscriptions for their Rugby League output and they have already beaten that target.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

If true this is fantastic, I was sceptical myself about going behind a third tier paywall when we should stream ourselves but seems to be doing well. Plus if people like the FTA Channel 4 stuff they might just pick up interest for the playoffs too. 

1 minute ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Why are we conditioned in Rugby League to suspect good news when we see it?

They are coming from their top man, who tells me that Premier had a three-month target for new subscriptions for their Rugby League output and they have already beaten that target.

They don't quite pass my sniff test. Are these UK-only figures? Do they include Ireland as well (I believe Premier is an Irish company)? 

17 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

They don't quite pass my sniff test. Are these UK-only figures? Do they include Ireland as well (I believe Premier is an Irish company)? 

Why does this matter though?

These are Premier Sports' own figures. They pay the rights fees.

If they're celebrating the TV figures then that's:

a) greater leverage for the RFL when it comes to re-negotiation; and

b) perfect ammunition for every Championship commercial director when it comes to seeking new sponsorship. 

The methodology used & even the actual veracity of the figures themselves is irrelevant.

Edited by Ray Cashmere
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

God forbid anybody in Ireland likes RL 😮

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Does it even matter if the boss of Premier Sports himself is publicly announcing that Championship Rugby League are smashing their targets?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Does it even matter if the boss of Premier Sports himself is publicly announcing that Championship Rugby League are smashing their targets?

Absolutely

The capacity of some RL fans to see negatives is depressing.

The boss of a TV company is trumpeting viewing figures for Rugby League and we get people looking for negatives.

Sheesh.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The figures the public can see will be out next week. What is shows is, unsurprisingly, more people want to see the Championship, and it be professionally presented, than watched the amateur games which were on Freesport, and presented more amateurish than the sport they were covering.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Really pleased that Premier has some good initial viewing figures but MoK is right to be a little sceptical about the actual benefit to Championship clubs . The financial return for clubs is largely based on how many new subscribers it gets from RL followers in the UK.

It sounds like it has started well. However, the proof will be down the track when Championship clubs are expecting money in their coffers from PS.

Just now, Man of Kent said:

I question 91,000 because that is in the same ballpark as Sky Sports ratings for Super League yet Premier subscriptions are dwarfed by the former. 

If it's not UK-only, 91k makes more sense.

Who cares? Clubs, either in this deal or the next, will be paid upon subs and also advertising that Premier can generate from the coverage. So all eyeballs are good eyeballs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

I question 91,000 because that is in the same ballpark as Sky Sports ratings for Super League yet Premier subscriptions are dwarfed by the former. 

If it's not UK-only, 91k makes more sense.

There was literally no other sport on last night. Sky Main Event was showing the news channel.

It does seem very high but with no competition and a bit of buzz, it doesn't seem particularly unrealistic.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Great news, they are incredible figures.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2022 at 21:10, mozzauk said:

Monthly either via Amazon Prime Video (as a payable extra channel) or the Premier Sports Player / Sky /  Virgin and see the offer for a free month...

didnt know you could watch it through that.. excellent.. thats another great option to watch straight on the tv without having to beam it etc.. !