RLWC Positivity Thread

Can't wait to see the world cup unfold, having so many games being televised. Men, women and wheelchair rugby all in the spotlight. New Zealand are the favorites but it could be won by a few teams, stadiums all over the country being filled will provide a much better atmosphere than the last world cup in Australia.     

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cookey said:

Yes, please, please support the BBC rl web site, where they seem to be making a big effort to produce varied and interesting articles.

Due to the BBC's support, advertising revenue is at a record level.

Great news about advertising revenue, where did you hear that? 

On 06/10/2022 at 18:56, Northern Eel said:

Friends, let this be the place where we can come to read about all the great things that this RLWC brings to us in the coming days. 

No negativity allowed, just the positive experiences and feelings you gain from your involvement in the competition as it plays out. If it wasn't positive, there's other places to let us know!

I recall in competitions gone by how I am always awestruck by the pre-match rituals of the Pacific Island Teams, particularly when one haka faces up to another. I love it when the Fijians sing hymns in the stands and their pre-match circle hymn is spine-tingling.

I am beside myself with excitement of knowing that I will be at St James Park in just over a week to welcome the start of the festival of rugby league and the thought of being able to watch a game a day on the telly is sensational.

What are you looking forward to, or what have you seen so far to get the juices running?

That would bring a tear to a glass eye that. Well said 😁

• Haha 1

I think the venues have to be a positive of this tournament. 

All look like fairly modern, appropriately sized stadia, with no absolutely crazy choices.

Previous world cups have seen us hosting games at run down lower league venues in Cumbria, Rochdale etc, but thankfully these days are behind us. 

This time, the organisers look to have got most of the choices fairly appropriate and while they have looked to spread the geographical footprint a bit, Middlesbrough and Coventry look a lot more logical than Limerick and Bristol. 

So all in all, I think the list of venues is a real positive step for the Competition. 

Start with this one 😀😀 Apparently Smith then did the Haka still in Albion Colours with his team mates in front of the South Stand 😀

Screenshot 2022-10-09 at 11.13.10 copy.jpg

Edited by Rach
  • Like 15

Newcastle around the stadium, inside metro stations and various billboards - lots of advertising for the opener.  

We have had Magic Weekend here then European final and international rugby Union matches at St James so hopefully they can tap into the more general sports fan and get closer to a sellout.

I think the ticket prices are very fair cheaper than Premier League football and far cheaper than the Rugby Union All blacks and Springboks World Cup matches at St James.

I’m over the moon a world class and high stakes RL match is on my doorstep, can’t wait until Saturday.

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, cookey said:

Seems close to a sell out.

Based on what? 

• Thanks 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

These films, the hymns, the hakas the civic receptions all brought me to tears.

I can't wait for it to get going.

It promises to be the best celebration of all that's good about our game,  in history

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, JonM said:

RLWC ticketing website seemed to be struggling under the load this morning, hopefully that means people are buying tickets and not that they need more hamsters to power it.

Yes and hopefully people stuck with it:

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.