Time to move the Grand Final (Merged Threads)

Drunken scraps are all part of the annual Grand Final bingo, along with spotting Vaux purple & green Bradford tops, tin foil trophies and the concourses running out of food before kick off.

Very much a scope for a proper, alcohol-free family section like you see in cricket. Not one for me, but there’s certainly a market for it, particularly near the music stage. 

Seen some pretty bad behaviour over the years at the SLGF, normally at its worst when Leeds United fans come for a one off (Obviously not recently) MU is not the place any more IMHO where do we go from there is anyone's guess Man City or the new Everton stadium would be favourite for me.

The thought process is there, if a little misguided.

The RFU member clubs, from the top to the grassroots, used to have to (may still do), purchase x amount of finals tickets, dependent on their level.

It was up to them to re-sell them on to their members and communities. If they didn't sell them, they lost money.

If they sold enough/all their allocation, they actually made money.

They made sure they sold them!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, John bird said:

London is a toilet and a very, very expensive toilet at that.

That's the sort of thing people who never go to London say. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dboy said:

The thought process is there, if a little misguided.

The RFU member clubs, from the top to the grassroots, used to have to (may still do), purchase x amount of finals tickets, dependent on their level.

It was up to them to re-sell them on to their members and communities. If they didn't sell them, they lost money.

If they sold enough/all their allocation, they actually made money.

They made sure they sold them!

RFL used the same approach a few years back for the challenge cup final. It was a disaster for league 1 clubs struggling to get fans to watch teams they never heard of and having to get those fans to buy cup final tickets as well. 

Just a case of the owners of the competition recognising their own incompetence at marketing and passing the burden on to others.

Edited by Anita Bath
clarification
  • Like 1

I don’t see how hosting the GF away from a central location like Manchester can be a good idea.

Happy to see the CC moved from city to city to stadium’s with a minimum of 50k. In GB/I there appear to be 16 stadiums fitting that capacity requirement.

9 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

I think Dublin might work with this idea, the RFL should be able to hire some ferries on a good deal to transport all the coaches as October is outside of peak demand period.

Nope....easier solution is...

The ferries leave Hull harbour and transport people direct via the North Sea and Thames Estuary 

Get P and O to part fund it on a sponsorship deal

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, M j M said:

That's the sort of thing people who never go to London say. 

I always have a defensive reaction when someone calls the city in which I live 'a toilet'.  I wouldn't even consider saying that about any of the Rugby League towns or cities, but some people don't care I guess.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I'm steering away from cross code. I will be commenting on a subject on another forum , but right now I'm watching Wigans own Kay Burley with Andy Burnham.  Back on topic ! Old Trafford? Wow I didnt think it was in that state . They must be watched very closely how mr Burnham goes into getting funding for this stadiums repairs .

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

3 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I'm steering away from cross code. I will be commenting on a subject on another forum , but right now I'm watching Wigans own Kay Burley with Andy Burnham.  Back on topic ! Old Trafford? Wow I didnt think it was in that state . They must be watched very closely how mr Burnham goes into getting funding for this stadiums repairs .

The funding Burnham is after isn't to repair the existing stadium.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

38 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The ferries leave Hull harbour and transport people direct via the North Sea and Thames Estuary 

Lack of ambition.

Play the GF *on the ferry* - one of the open roll on roll off decks will do - and have the 1,200 coaches parked so people can watch from the comfort of their seats.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

39 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

maybe add to that the ole press gang approach of the old royal navy.... 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

I think Dublin might work with this idea, the RFL should be able to hire some ferries on a good deal to transport all the coaches as October is outside of peak demand period.

Think bigger picture. I'm fancying Bangkok away myself.

Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc.) Act 1985

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?...xtDocId=1300758

Essentially it's illegal to possess alcohol, drink alcohol, or be drunk on a vehicle principally being used to convey passengers to specific sporting events. Also for private vehicles > 8 passengers the driver and hirer cannot knowingly allow it to take place, so a coach driver is perfectly entitled to prevent alcohol being brought on board, and also confiscate it (the alternative is to kick them off if they don't agree!)

• Haha 1

I would move it to the Etihad and if it sells out and becomes a hot ticket then we can charge more for it, perhaps refocusing the event away from the less pleasant aspects we’ve all encountered in terms of behaviour.

Better than playing in some falling apart dump just because it happens to be larger and then flogging dirt cheap tickets so it doesn’t look bad on TV in terms of empty seats.

I think for those that will tout some kind of friendly relationship with MUFC needs preserving, I wouldn’t say it’s wholly irrelevant, but given the maintenance issue then we are justified in looking elsewhere.

Also there is a sea change happening at MUFC under their new minority shareholder that is going to bring a professionalism to everything and I suspect our dealings with them will reflect that going forwards.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc.) Act 1985

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?...xtDocId=1300758

Essentially it's illegal to possess alcohol, drink alcohol, or be drunk on a vehicle principally being used to convey passengers to specific sporting events. Also for private vehicles > 8 passengers the driver and hirer cannot knowingly allow it to take place, so a coach driver is perfectly entitled to prevent alcohol being brought on board, and also confiscate it (the alternative is to kick them off if they don't agree!)

Can’t say I’ve been on many, if any, coaches to sporting events where everyone isn’t getting bladdered. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Seen some pretty bad behaviour over the years at the SLGF, normally at its worst when Leeds United fans come for a one off (Obviously not recently) MU is not the place any more IMHO where do we go from there is anyone's guess Man City or the new Everton stadium would be favourite for me.

Old Trafford is not great but to move it now when they actually have someone at MUFC agreeing and saying they actually want to do something about it, and has earmarked funds for it, seems daft as there isnt a ready made replacement, but if we stay we may well get one.. 

to have not moved when there seemed no progress in updating the stadium but then move when there is and we may just get a say in what it might look like (ie a long enough pitch to have a good size in goal and run off) would be so very very Rugby League IMHO

• Like 2

I wonder what is the purpose of the ditches at each end at Old Trafford. I noticed on the football match last night,a couple of players ending up down there. Is it a feature unique to Old Trafford. Players regularly clatter into advertising boards,so that can't be the issue surely.

46 minutes ago, RP London said:

Old Trafford is not great but to move it now when they actually have someone at MUFC agreeing and saying they actually want to do something about it, and has earmarked funds for it, seems daft as there isnt a ready made replacement, but if we stay we may well get one.. 

to have not moved when there seemed no progress in updating the stadium but then move when there is and we may just get a say in what it might look like (ie a long enough pitch to have a good size in goal and run off) would be so very very Rugby League IMHO

Has he earmarked funds for it? I thought he was asking the Government for funding?