Challenge Cup Classics on BBC1

Watersplash Final tomorrow.  Don Fox's miss -  again.  Poor old Don.  He was a superb footballer.  In fact there'd have been no try to convert had it not been for his clever kick off after Leeds's "penalty try"   The ref ought to be the talking point.  How could any ref in those condition could award to penalty try? Back to "lucky Leeds" - see above.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Trojan said:

Watersplash Final tomorrow.  Don Fox's miss -  again.  Poor old Don.  He was a superb footballer.  In fact there'd have been no try to convert had it not been for his clever kick off after Leeds's "penalty try"   The ref ought to be the talking point.  How could any ref in those condition could award to penalty try? Back to "lucky Leeds" - see above.

The try that led to that kick is one of the cheekiest I've seen. Still, despite dwelling on Don's famous miss, this is a very good documentary and one worth recording for future enjoyment.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 hours ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Great telly that. I had never realised how crucial Hull's poor placekicking had been in the 1985 Final.

Proper coach here as well.

RL.jpg

Fantastic picture that, thanks. 

Hull FC's then chairman Roy Waudby alongside coach Arthur Bunting.

For me, Roy will always be the most passionate Hull FC fan that was also chairman of the club.

Sadly, he passed away in his sleep during the nightmare of the David Lloyd period, probably worrying about the future of Hull FC in his hands.

Now they were grim times.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

10 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Simon Booth. His mum was an English teacher at Bedford High in Leigh when I was there.

Enjoyed the 1996 final the best myself. That era probably struck the right balance for me with deeper attacking lines and less substitutions. Meant the creative players weren’t just trying to avoid getting smashed and allowed that bit more space as defences tired. 8 future Leigh players between the two sides that day plus one future coach, though the less said the better on that front. 

I think you're right on this. We always talk about the depth used by attacking teams, but seeing the five games like that made it easier to compare. I think at times some of the older rugby looks very haphazard, the structure is missing and it's obvious that defences needed to be tightened as players got fitter, stronger, faster. That said, I do think we've gone too far in the opposite direction. The 1996 final was a pretty good starting place for me - it opened space just enough but not so that it resembled 9s.

Also noticeable was the extent to which the video ref was used by 2005. I think it should only be used in limited circumstances, we should be trusting the referees much more.

Finally, as someone who spent many years buried in the BBC Archives - as a job, not a punishment - I really wish I'd stayed late more often to make VHS copies. What a missed opportunity.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I'd forgotten just how good some of those games were. (Particularly the Bradford/Leeds {And what a venue the Millennium Stadium has been for CC and Magic events} and Hull/Warrington games).

I wonder if, when all this is over, we will love and care for our sport a little bit more, whatever our affiliation to the game is.

Magic aren't they? It's all that simple.

Sometimes you think your memory plays tricks but matches like these show it wasn't and you weren't and they haven't.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

13 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

For me, Roy will always be the most passionate Hull FC fan that was also chairman of the club.

Sadly, he passed away in his sleep during the nightmare of the David Lloyd period, probably worrying about the future of Hull FC in his hands.

Great to see Arthur chomping on his trademark cigar. 

His teams could play a bit too.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

8 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

I'd forgotten just how good some of those games were. (Particularly the Bradford/Leeds {And what a venue the Millennium Stadium has been for CC and Magic events} and Hull/Warrington games).

I wonder if, when all this is over, we will love and care for our sport a little bit more, whatever our affiliation to the game is.

On your second point - I think we will.

seeing all the replays going on on youtube, sky BBC etc has really made me feel a bit, emotional about the game if you get what I mean?

I’d like to think I won’t take the game and players for granted when this is all done, Rugby League is the thing that takes me away from the normal stresses of day to day life and going to the games is a few hours of the week where It’s ‘my time’.

I’m missing it a lot.

Uploaded to YouTube three hours ago by the prolific "Shaun".

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 04/04/2020 at 22:45, Futtocks said:

Still, despite dwelling on Don's famous miss, this is a very good documentary and one worth recording for future enjoyment.

Enjoyment?  Over the years I found the repeats quite sickening, more so than the live event at that time.  Avoided at all costs nowadays.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

8 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Enjoyment?  Over the years I found the repeats quite sickening, more so than the live event at that time.  Avoided at all costs nowadays.

I’ve never liked seeing that clip but the documentary is well worth watching. Certainly brings a tear to the eye. It also leaves you in no doubt what a great player Don was and how highly his fellow players held him. 

On 04/04/2020 at 17:41, Chrispmartha said:

I think you have to factor in we were watching highlights.

The skills on show of course were great (Kenny, Stirling and Holmes the pick for me) but the play the balls (Far worse than now)and scrums were appalling.

Think watching those games the ref seemed to let a fair bit go at the play the balls to keep the game flowing , not so much lying on also , the main emphasis seemed the need to keep the game on the move . Scrums were a mess granted but at least the forwards packed down and pushed so at least for one tackle the forwards wren`t in a position to tackle . Whereas now the forwards just lean on one another and the loose forward just stands with his hands on the scrum peering around to see whats going on .

On 05/04/2020 at 04:32, Old Frightful said:

Wasn't it the case that they over-spent and caused the club a lot of trouble?

Selling Crooks and Schofield being part of an attempted rescue package

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Wasn't it the case that they over-spent and caused the club a lot of trouble?

Selling Crooks and Schofield being part of an attempted rescue package

I would say you're just about bang on.

I used to go to shareholders' meetings with my parents back then and there were a lot of not very happy people with questions as to how the club was struggling financially after all the success of the early eighties.

Roy Waudby was obviously very uncomfortable also with the situation but he explained that to sign and also keep the best players at the club, they had to pay substantial wages or they'd go elsewhere. I remember distinctly, someone making Roy even more uncomfortable by asking him what sort of contracts the high profile players at the club were earning.

Eventually, being in front of shareholders, he realised that honesty was probably the best policy. He informed us that 5 players at the club were on contracts of £25,000 per year. I seem to recall they were the Kiwi trio of Leuluai, Kemble and O'Hara, Lee Crooks and Garry Schofield. Remember, this will have been back in around 1986 so, if I've got it correct, they really were eye watering amounts at the time. And, obviously, club ruining amounts as well.

It hardly seems feasible that we're now 34 years down the line and some young players at clubs won't be earning that yet.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Water splash dc was ace, bbc production values at their best, real sense of gravitas. Really brought home the impact on Don Fox though, really sad 

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

14 minutes ago, jannerboyuk said:

Water splash dc was ace, bbc production values at their best, real sense of gravitas. Really brought home the impact on Don Fox though, really sad 

A great documentary, but when they took Don back to Wembley, he was only smiling with his mouth. You could see something haunted in his eyes, even after all those years.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

A great documentary, but when they took Don back to Wembley, he was only smiling with his mouth. You could see something haunted in his eyes, even after all those years.

Have to say that ‘retaken’ kick is one of the saddest things I’ve ever seen on television. 

I’d like to think that if something similar happened these days they’d try to laugh it off, like those Pizza Hut adverts with England footballers who missed penalties.

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’d like to think that if something similar happened these days they’d try to laugh it off, like those Pizza Hut adverts with England footballers who missed penalties.

Something similar these day's?  Hebblethwaite's  ridiculous decision would never get past the video ref so beyond that would be a completely different last few minutes. 

That Don Fox miss took much of the heat off the penalty try decision.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Archived