Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

50 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Its not as simple as that. The withdrawal of the Aussies and Kiwis will have put a huge hole in the finances of the competition. The broadcast rights value will suddenly have plummeted and those broadcasters who had previously signed contracts will be having their lawyers exercising force majeure clauses asap. I'd imagine that broadcasters in Australia and NZ will have no interest in showing a competition they do not feature in.

Their non-appearance could increase the ratings

• Like 3

I don't honestly know where to start.

Given that these countries have sent teams and individuals to the Olympics, where cases are popping up and they are interacting with literally every nation on earth (except North Korea) the safety thing doesn't cut it IMO. 

Are they going to cancel The Ashes so our COVID riddled cricketers don't take the Omega variant with them?

We know what this is about. The NRL never wanted the World Cup, have no interest inInternational RL and run the show.

I'm so tempted to tell them to stuff it and regroup as a European/N American international setup. Probably not the best idea done in anger but they've pretty much screwed RL in this country now. The government (however much I hate them) has invested in this, and supported it. They will not like being made fools of. This will hurt our sport badly.

• Like 16

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I really think we go all out and deliver a huge festival of RL without these a-holes. 

I couldn't care about asterisks, or standards, I'll buy more tickets if it goes ahead with smaller teams stepping in. 

In the spirit of 1895, I agree. ###### 'em.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

The AFL loving media are going to love this and really put the boot into the game down under now. Australian Rugby League has now become the laughing stock of Australian sport and the AFL loving media will keep pushing that narrative.

Trust me long term this will hit Australian Rugby League hard

Yes the main advantage RL has over Aussie rules is the international element, what fools the ARLC and especially the Clubs are.......

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

The domestic game being in trouble has absolutely nothing to do with the presence or lack thereof an international scene.

Then she is ignorant to current global conditions and mindsets.

You couldn’t be more wrong or insular if you tried

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

All this mentioned on World at One. We do exist!

I think Radio 4 are going to go into more detail later in the programme, so stay tuned.

• Like 3

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

So because this is all about NRL player welfare, I presume the English players playing in the NRL won't be allowed to play in the World Cup?

😉

Or the Tongan, Samoan, Fijian, Lebanese, PNG etc etc

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, giasf said:

Visited the Sydney Morning Herald website to get a feel for what the Aussie press think. No mention on the homepage. Fourth story on the sports page — lower than a player being investigated for a breach of a bubble. Speaks volumes. 

That tells you everything ! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

The AFL loving media are going to love this and really put the boot into the game down under now. Australian Rugby League has now become the laughing stock of Australian sport and the AFL loving media will keep pushing that narrative.

Trust me long term this will hit Australian Rugby League hard

After I got the news and got off here I had a look at the papers, articles running next to each other `League for the Olympics` and ` Australia pulls out of WC`, in both papers, what a joke, the other codes would be laughing in their boots, can`t even hold a WC and we want to be in the Olympics, so f..ing embarrassing, small time mentality big-noting itself with some dream about the Olympics. I ripped into the NRL in the comments sections in both papers.

• Like 4

On another site, an Aussie writes "Did we ever think that we’d see Cricket Australia agreeing to go ahead with a tour of Bangladesh in the same hour the ARLC and NZRL pulled out of a Rugby League World Cup in England? We should be so embarrassed as a nation and as a sport. But at least it's 'for the players welfare' and no other reason!!! "

• Like 8

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Remind me again why Aus and NZ can’t just use SL-based players and coaches? Not ideal but better than not having them.

Why has this proposal not been put forward already? It’s been clear for a while this was on the cards.

47 minutes ago, BD20Cougar said:

https://www.nrl.com/contact-us

"The NRL and its partners welcome comments, questions and feedback from all Rugby League fans and interested community members."

I'd encourage everyone here to let the NRL know your thoughts. 

They don't exactly make it easy to provide untrammelled feedback but right at the bottom you can make comments. 

This was my first offering:-

''The decision to turn your backs on the rest of the world is treacherous and may yet, bring about the downfall of the sport in the Northern Hemisphere nations. This insult is unforgiveable and will go down in history as an infamous stab-in-the -back, at a time when the organisers have garnered more support than ever before and when the game in the Northern Hemisphere is at its most vulnerable. Shame on you all!''

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, giasf said:

Visited the Sydney Morning Herald website to get a feel for what the Aussie press think. No mention on the homepage. Fourth story on the sports page — lower than a player being investigated for a breach of a bubble. Speaks volumes. 

Man f***s sheep never made news in Australia.  Now it never makes news the other way round either. 

3 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Remind me again why Aus and NZ can’t just use SL-based players and coaches? Not ideal but better than not having them.

Why has this proposal not been put forward already? It’s been clear for a while this was on the cards.

Because they treat players who come up to SL how scorn people say their ex is 'dead to them'. Crazy next year that Jackson Hastings will become a player again after not existing for a couple of years. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Colin James said:

SL clubs calling off fixtures every week gives the Aussies the excuse they need. If we can't manage to field domestic teams because squads are so riddled with Covid then it doesn't paint a good picture of the situation over here.

That's not the reason though - if it was they could've set out key benchmarks that need to be met before they were willing to travel. It's months away so the picture will no doubt be very different by then - which makes this all the more embarrassing.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

After I got the news and got off here I had a look at the papers, articles running next to each other `League for the Olympics` and ` Australia pulls out of WC`, in both papers, what a joke, the other codes would be laughing in their boots, can`t even hold a WC and we want to be in the Olympics, so f..ing embarrassing, small time mentality big-noting itself with some dream about the Olympics. I ripped into the NRL in the comments sections in both papers.

8 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

You had the AFL on the ropes with the TV ratings and streaming and the dwindling AFL crowd numbers, and now in one swoop the NRL/ARL has given the AFL the oxygen it desperately needed.

The AFL loving media will do all it can to damage the NRL product and that won't be hard now and will lead in the medium to long term less sponsorship money.

Perhaps a good term to use is this is Manna from heaven for the AFL

• Like 2

• John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)
  • John Drake locked this topic
  • John Drake unlocked this topic
  • John Drake locked and unlocked this topic