Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

12 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Just came inside and my son told me, shattered, embarrassed, angry, I`m sure they could of arranged something if they really wanted to. My sincerest apologies from one Australian who really wanted it to happen. The rest of the comp this year is going to leave a sour taste in my mouth.

I missed this earlier but just to say, you're a good man Rocket.  I have to say, a message like this from an Aussie really does mean a lot today.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

The sad thing is that this default by Australia and its dependency NZ has denied a number of players the chance evet to represent their country in the World Cup. They may be too old next time,  not in form, and more likely, Aus and its slave state my not get another invite. Don't take it out on these players, take it out on Strop Vlandis and Co. 

• Like 2

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

40 minutes ago, Damien said:

Simon Johnson with a rallying call to players and coaches to speak up. I must admit he has impressed me today:

Not only has he been impressive but someone has kept Ralph away from the TV & radio

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

The sad thing is that this default by Australia and its dependency NZ has denied a number of players the chance evet to represent their country in the World Cup. They may be too old next time,  not in form, and more likely, Aus and its slave state my not get another invite. Don't take it out on these players, take it out on Strop Vlandis and Co. 

this.

it isn’t the players fault, they are the ones being denied maybe a once in a lifetime chance to represent their country in a world cup in a sport they love.

4 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Just read that and just muttered FFS. This wonderful sport will never get the recognition it deserves when we have self serving people running the clubs and game.

Must admit having read Pearson’s statement, while it’s insensitive timing I don’t think there’s much wrong with it. He says it’s shocking that Aus and NZ have pulled out (true), and then goes on to say that this sh1tshow of an SL season could be extended to make it more credible, which in the absence of a WC isn’t a bad idea imho. I’d rather see England play a couple of games, even if they’re against France and Wales, but he’s Hull’s owner so of course he wants what’s best for them? 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Must admit having read Pearson’s statement, while it’s insensitive timing I don’t think there’s much wrong with it. He says it’s shocking that Aus and NZ have pulled out (true), and then goes on to say that this sh1tshow of an SL season could be extended to make it more credible, which in the absence of a WC isn’t a bad idea imho. I’d rather see England play a couple of games, even if they’re against France and Wales, but he’s Hull’s owner so of course he wants what’s best for them? 

"of course he wants what’s best for them"

Like tonight's performance? 

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

Just now, Smudger06 said:

NZ is gearing up to become an NRL affiliate much like QRL & NSWRL. I thought the Kiwis had a bit about them, now just a lapdog. 

The nrl, said we'll pay for you electric bill, buy 2 rugby balls and pay for your hire car for week... and the NZRL boss said "we have a deal!"

NZ have no back bone.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

He could have said nothing. The last thing we need right now is chairmen breaking ranks and saying there might be an up side. The message needs to be this is outrageous and the NRL must reconsider not, "well to be fair it might let us finish the season". 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

When I read tweets like this I really want the game to just say **** you and plough on with the RLWC and forget about the Aussies going forward:

Tail wagging the dog is exactly what the NRL have done for years so hopefully big changes are coming

• Like 6

Just now, DI Keith Fowler said:

He could have said nothing. The last thing we need right now is chairmen breaking ranks and saying there might be an up side. The message needs to be this is outrageous and the NRL must reconsider not, "well to be fair it might let us finish the season". 

There is an upside though, for his club. If you were propping up a SL club with your own money you might think so too? Though I agree it is insensitively timed and he should have let the dust lie before saying that. 

2 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Tail wagging the dog is exactly what the NRL have done for years so hopefully big changes are coming

Phil goulds tweet is everything that’s wrong here, he thinks, just as they do that the NRL is Rugby League.

its as insular as it is arrogant.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Yep.. I mean how dare the international governing body look to run the international game.. thats much more of a job for a single national league.. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Phil goulds tweet is everything that’s wrong here, he thinks, just as they do that the NRL is Rugby League.

its as insular as it is arrogant.

It's exactly the same as Richardson's guff last week. Something badged as one thing was actually just an NRL preservation piece. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Yes hopefully. The IRL need to just start setting the calendar and the Aussies either get on board with that or are excluded from international rugby. Simple as that.

• Like 2

Gus saying the players just want a rest and go home . Has he asked them all ?  Also a slight variation on the covid argument .He really thinks he’s the fountain of all rugby knowledge he’s so far up himself . 

• John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)
  • John Drake locked this topic
  • John Drake unlocked this topic
  • John Drake locked and unlocked this topic