Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DoubleD

Stuart Cummings departs Sky

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Jobs for the boys? Or best man for the job? You decide.......................anyway, i'll be pleased not having to endure him next year.

http://www.rlif.com/article/8805/international-rugby-league-appoints-stuart-cummings-as-match-official-manager

 

Not on sky anymore?..marvellous!

  • Like 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Christmas Miracles exist. 

Felt a bit for him in a way because he’d say one thing trying to explain the rules and what the likely decision should be with the video referee and then the incompetent clowns currently refereeing our sport would give something completely opposite. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt he always bent over backwards to agree with the march day officials, unwilling or unable to criticise them. Perhaps he's just not made for broadcasting. 

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 2

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Christmas Miracles exist. 

Felt a bit for him in a way because he’d say one thing trying to explain the rules and what the likely decision should be with the video referee and then the incompetent clowns currently refereeing our sport would give something completely opposite. 

The people refereeing our sport today are far from incompetent. We have put them in an awful position by making almost every decision they make a judgement call because every tackle and every play the ball pretty much breaks the laws of the game and we ask every referee to decide how much they are prepared to tolerate as they try to balance keeping control of the game with letting it flow for our entertainment.

And then we demand that this completely arbitrary line of subjective penalties is consistent across all of them!

They are in an awful position and they do remarkably well given the circumstances. 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The people refereeing our sport today are far from incompetent. We have put them in an awful position by making almost every decision they make a judgement call because every tackle and every play the ball pretty much breaks the laws of the game and we ask every referee to decide how much they are prepared to tolerate as they try to balance keeping control of the game with letting it flow for our entertainment.

And then we demand that this completely arbitrary line of subjective penalties is consistent across all of them!

They are in an awful position and they do remarkably well given the circumstances. 

Totally agree.

It really bugs me when for example the ball comes loose when a player is tackled and the ref has to instantly decide if it is a knock on or ripped out.  From 5 viewpoints the ref is deemed correct but from another camera angle it clearly shows a mistake.  We then get the commentators having a go along with the thousands of aggrieved supporters.  Then some of those supporters or tv viewers then get on their soapbox via sites like this venting their anger.

For me the multiple camera angles have helped crucify refs in all sports. IMHO refs overall are better than their predecessors.  If you do not agree go watch RL games from 20/30/40 years ago.  Those refs had the luxury of one or two cameras on them and the only adverse comment would be Ray French going ‘that looked a bit debatable’.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is the way he was used. he shouldn't be a co commentator, but should be used at half time or full time and only to explain the call of the ref, not second guess him.

There are better people than SC to do this role and certainly not Ganson.  I would prefer someone like Ian smith

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

From what I’ve seen, he’s been very consistent being inconsistent.  I’m sure he’s a nice bloke but shouldn’t be on TV.

 

It's taken Sky long enough to realise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always felt his main role was to slap Stevo down and he did a pretty good job of it.

Once Stevo retired, Cummings seemed to have outlived his usefulness.

  • Like 3

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And all this wouldn't have happened if the referee at a Wigan v Oldham game on 4 November 1990 had arrived but didn't, thus giving Cummings his first game at first team level. ... and then onwards from there.

Funny though how he "just happened" to be at a match not involving clubs from his area when the appointed referee didn't come !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Totally agree.

It really bugs me when for example the ball comes loose when a player is tackled and the ref has to instantly decide if it is a knock on or ripped out.  From 5 viewpoints the ref is deemed correct but from another camera angle it clearly shows a mistake.  We then get the commentators having a go along with the thousands of aggrieved supporters.  Then some of those supporters or tv viewers then get on their soapbox via sites like this venting their anger.

For me the multiple camera angles have helped crucify refs in all sports. IMHO refs overall are better than their predecessors.  If you do not agree go watch RL games from 20/30/40 years ago.  Those refs had the luxury of one or two cameras on them and the only adverse comment would be Ray French going ‘that looked a bit debatable’.

Completely agree. We seem to have an unhealthy obsession with referees in RL, and it really doesn't help. 

We have coaches using referees as a lightning rod to divert attention from their failings, players doing likewise, official club social media accounts criticising officials on Twitter, owners and chairmen questioning the integrity of officials in programme notes and fans bemoaning the choice of referee when the weekly appointments come out. 

When we start expecting the players to be 100% faultless, then we can start expecting the same of the officials. 

Edited by whatmichaelsays
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well as someone not immersed in the game from youth, but came into it about 7 years ago , I always found his comments helpful in following the action. I'm sorry he's leaving. If they have another lined up for the role, fine, but if they decide not to bother to save money, that's worrying.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Well as someone not immersed in the game from youth, but came into it about 7 years ago , I always found his comments helpful in following the action. I'm sorry he's leaving. If they have another lined up for the role, fine, but if they decide not to bother to save money, that's worrying.

If you need a ref on commentary explaining things then the commentators aren’t doing their job or well versed enough. You should get commentators who know what they’re talking about rather than a ref to adjudicate things. Its embarrassing. 

 I also agree with other posters that we scrutinise far too much, to the detriment of the game. They do so less in NRL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

If you need a ref on commentary explaining things then the commentators aren’t doing their job or well versed enough. You should get commentators who know what they’re talking about rather than a ref to adjudicate things. Its embarrassing. 

 I also agree with other posters that we scrutinise far too much, to the detriment of the game. They do so less in NRL

I'm not a fan of the NRL pundits in the main. They are basically more articulate versions of Baz and Tez. They get away with absolute nonsense when it comes to discussions on rules. 

I didn't have a massive issue with Cummings tbh, although I don't think he had the charisma really which was a bigger issue than the concept of somebody explaining technicalities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ullman said:

I always felt his main role was to slap Stevo down and he did a pretty good job of it.

Once Stevo retired, Cummings seemed to have outlived his usefulness.

Totally agree with this, Stevo was constantly misinforming people of what he thought the rules were, Cummings was a breath of rational fresh air. I still didn't mind him for factual input on obscure or marginal decisions but his key purpose has gone as the current Sky lot know and understand the rules a lot better than Stevo did.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Damien said:

Great news as a viewer. Cummins on Sky meant there was far too much focus on referees and decisions. 

I think it’s useful for expansion clubs..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...