Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

‘Six more tackles’ to be considered by RFL

Recommended Posts

The possible introduction of the ‘six again’ rule to the UK game will be discussed next week. The latest RFL Laws Committee meeting will take...

View the full article

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good what little I've seen of it but that is when the attacking team is in the opposition's half. The one draw back is that if you got a "six again" on your own 20 mtr line you'd be better off with a pen, kick to touch and start the set around the half way/40 mtr line.

Worth considering for 2021 but I don't like changing the rules once a season has started. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I have said before, my only concern is, for example, when a team is losing by one point in the last minute and, under the current rule, might have scored 2 points to win whereas with the new rule they might not score even after another six tackles.

However, if it has to be introduced then I would add on the new 6 to the existing number of tackles remaining of the current set instead of just going back to one immediately. That would be a even greater deterent to those in defence not to offend.

Yet the one problem with that is might the referees get confused with remembering how many the total is each time ?  At the moment they know the count ends at 6 whereas it might then be different every time.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think its a great  way to keep game flowing,and am loving those cardboard crowds there ace,idea nicked of kayakman i reckon,:kolobok_preved:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

As I have said before, my only concern is, for example, when a team is losing by one point in the last minute and, under the current rule, might have scored 2 points to win whereas with the new rule they might not score even after another six tackles.

However, if it has to be introduced then I would add on the new 6 to the existing number of tackles remaining of the current set instead of just going back to one immediately. That would be a even greater deterent to those in defence not to offend.

Yet the one problem with that is might the referees get confused with remembering how many the total is each time ?  At the moment they know the count ends at 6 whereas it might then be different every time.

If a penalty then ref calls zero tackle. It cannot be difficult can it.

However I am but sure I agree with proposed rule.  If needs be just scrub the foul tackle, and get on with it. Say, scrub tackle 3 and the ref then calls the next tackle "3 again"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

If a penalty then ref calls zero tackle. It cannot be difficult can it.

However I am but sure I agree with proposed rule.  If needs be just scrub the foul tackle, and get on with it. Say, scrub tackle 3 and the ref then calls the next tackle "3 again"

Yes but if, under the new rule, a defender fouls after 2 tackles then all they have lost is those 2 tackles as it restarts for a new 6 ... if the new set was added to the exisiting ones in that set then the attacking team would have another 10 (ie the new 6 plus the remaining 4), which is surely far more of a deterent.

Even if they foul after 5 then the attackers would still get the remaining one plus the new 6 instead of just immediately starting from zero again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, silverback said:

i think its a great  way to keep game flowing,and am loving those cardboard crowds there ace,idea nicked of kayakman i reckon,:kolobok_preved:

And i think that right at the 50 m line, 10 rows up, with a circle of empty seats around him, there should be a picture of William Webb Ellis sitting proudly watching THE GAME OF THE BETTER CODE WHICH HE INVENTED!

Wouldn't that get the Union Boys upset.

william-webb-ellis-granger.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the 4 matches I’ve seen, it looks good so far.
 

Need to keep an eye on the numbers though, intuitively feels like an easier decision to make than a penalty - wouldn’t want referees to be able to unduly help an attacking side get a roll on through quick decisions on ‘maybe’ ruck infringements - if the volume is higher than previous penalty counts I’d be concerned 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to have speeded things up here.  Refs seem to find it easier to call 6 penalty as well, so those marginal calls which let teams like the Storm push the rules to the limit really hurt them. The main difference is the reintroduction of fatigue - there are times when defenders would happily give away a penalty to give them a short breather/time to reset the line.  Its far harder to slow the game down when the attackers can just keep going.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something has to be done to stop the players and coaches from totally destroying the game. At present,virtually every single tackle could be penalised for trying to slow the game. If referees are not prepared to sin bin players from the first minute,then from the couple of Australian games I've seen,six again is the best solution.Congratulations to the Australians for apparently finding a solution.The players had stopped my enjoyment of the game,as either they slowed the game or the poor referee had to continually blow his whistle. Ofcourse then,it was the referee who was criticised,not the coachesand players.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think our ruck area is clean enough for this with the holding down and wrestling, sort that out and yes. At the moment one team would have possession for 40 minutes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Forever Trinity said:

I don't think our ruck area is clean enough for this with the holding down and wrestling, sort that out and yes. At the moment one team would have possession for 40 minutes!

Teams would have to learn and adapt very quickly then...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't too sure on the ruing when i first saw it being used in the Brisbane V Parra game, but in the subsequent games its grown on me. Still think it's something that needs a few more weeks to see its real impact, but good signs initially.

That being said, i'm not that confident we'd see a similar response from the teams in the SL. I think we'd see some real blow outs initially and some failing to grasp the attacking opportunity ie lots more hit ups down the middle. Maybe i'm just being a bit over critical of SL, but im not as confident of our teams adapting in the same positive way the NRL teams have.

I'd much rather we sort out the PTB (get a foot on it!) for the remainder of this season, then announce any changes such as the 6 again rule, and if we do switch, which is likely, all the teams have a full pre-season of preperation, not just in adapting to the rule change, but also in terms of any additional fitness, which will be needed by many.


Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to The Australian newspaper:

Players in the Roosters-Rabbitohs match on Friday night had almost 55 minutes with the ball in play. That’s six minutes more than the average last year. Six minutes more value for your money.“

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-leagues-transformation-should-worry-union/news-story/68ee570198e5316fb089b2bd21a9897b
 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

As I have said before, my only concern is, for example, when a team is losing by one point in the last minute and, under the current rule, might have scored 2 points to win whereas with the new rule they might not score even after another six tackles.

However, if it has to be introduced then I would add on the new 6 to the existing number of tackles remaining of the current set instead of just going back to one immediately. That would be a even greater deterent to those in defence not to offend.

Yet the one problem with that is might the referees get confused with remembering how many the total is each time ?  At the moment they know the count ends at 6 whereas it might then be different every time.

The bit in bold is a valid concern as it would cause uproar when the rule change (if adopted) directly affected the result of a game in that manner. A way around it would be to have the infringements resulting in a penalty as now rather than 6 more tackles when in the last 5 minutes of each half (when clubs would be more likely to opt for a kick at goal due to the clock running down anyway).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cookey said:

Something has to be done to stop the players and coaches from totally destroying the game. At present,virtually every single tackle could be penalised for trying to slow the game. If referees are not prepared to sin bin players from the first minute,then from the couple of Australian games I've seen,six again is the best solution.Congratulations to the Australians for apparently finding a solution.The players had stopped my enjoyment of the game,as either they slowed the game or the poor referee had to continually blow his whistle. Ofcourse then,it was the referee who was criticised,not the coachesand players.

Slowing the game (or the attacker) down has been going on for a very long time.  Certainly up the the 60’s.  It’s not new and was more blatant then in my opinion.

We forget that in this modern age, the attacker is coached to ‘win’ a penalty.  It’s carp but it’s just professionalism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

The bit in bold is a valid concern as it would cause uproar when the rule change (if adopted) directly affected the result of a game in that manner. A way around it would be to have the infringements resulting in a penalty as now rather than 6 more tackles when in the last 5 minutes of each half (when clubs would be more likely to opt for a kick at goal due to the clock running down anyway).

Or maybe let the captain of the team in possession have until the next tackle is completed to tell the referee they would prefer a kick at goal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another point is that, under the current rule, if I am in possession inside my own 20m area and the opposition offend then from the penalty I can kick into touch and start my new 6 tackles from maybe 40m downfield. Under the new rule I have to start those new 6 from where I am ... so the offending team are gaining that advantage.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Another point is that, under the current rule, if I am in possession inside my own 20m area and the opposition offend then from the penalty I can kick into touch and start my new 6 tackles from maybe 40m downfield. Under the new rule I have to start those new 6 from where I am ... so the offending team are gaining that advantage.

yes and no... to be honest after watching the games i think it evens out. They dont get the yardage but they are now running at a more broken line that is tyring quickly. with a kick to touch the defence get a rest and get to reset the line. 

It worked well and it wasnt as stop start as with the penalties. it made for a great spectacle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RP London said:

yes and no... to be honest after watching the games i think it evens out. They dont get the yardage but they are now running at a more broken line that is tyring quickly. with a kick to touch the defence get a rest and get to reset the line. 

It worked well and it wasnt as stop start as with the penalties. it made for a great spectacle. 

Yes but the non-offending team are still the ones losing out just so the overall game can be made faster ... surely an offending team should be the ones given the disadvantage ?

If I was in possession inside my own 20m area and was given a choice to either start six tackles against a slightly tired team from there or to start those 6 tackles from 40m downfield against a team who have had a rest for about 30 seconds, then I know where I would rather be.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Yes but the non-offending team are still the ones losing out just so the overall game can be made faster ... surely an offending team should be the ones given the disadvantage ?

If I was in possession inside my own 20m area and was given a choice to either start six tackles against a slightly tired team from there or to start those 6 tackles from 40m downfield against a team who have had a rest for about 30 seconds, then I know where I would rather be.

I agree on paper this is a valid concern but watching the games play out this week, the teams with a repeat set invariably ended with an attacking position against a tiring defence and so they were certainly not disadvantaged, in fact I would say the opposite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree on paper this is a valid concern but watching the games play out this week, the teams with a repeat set invariably ended with an attacking position against a tiring defence and so they were certainly not disadvantaged, in fact I would say the opposite. 

But with no tackles left to use.

Yet they would have been in that attacking position via the penalty kick downfield and with 6 tackles still to use.

Furthermore, while the non-offending team might be given 30 seconds or so rest because of that kick to touch, the attacking team will have also been given a rest from contuinally feeling the force of those tackles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...