What you enjoy the most about Rugby League?

1. The spectacular stuff, the beautiful finishes from wingers, the big hits from the forwards, the sublime passes from the halves - all that standard stuff.

2. The momentum (and not in a Stevo way). I am fascinated by the swings in momentum that you get during games. Minor incidents can massively affect the momentum of the game, a change in personnel, or a bit of genius skill. This stuff can be a little more subtle, but it fascinates me.

3. That even a bad game of RL is still a bloody good 2hrs of entertainment. I find with many other sports that I like I will have to maybe make it more of a social event, but RL is the one that I can enjoy without too much effort. Obviously I'll still get bored with some, but it's generally all good.

• Like 9

Pride in the origins of the game.

Watching the combination of skill, strength, endurance and strategy unique to RL.

Attending International matches....when they are played.

Seeing the game spread into new countries around the world, especially in the 2nd and 3rd world - it is a game which can bring many social benefits to communities.

• Like 4

Apart from the skill and speed of Rugby League I enjoy the toughness, I like it that the blokes and the girls take the hits, get up and get on with it, there is no play acting for penalties, there is no rolling around in agony and if they do you know they must really be hurt.

I refuse to watch soccer because of the play acting and the soft cocks and in afl there always trying to tell me how tough it is, when they don`t really know what tough is.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

1. The spectacular stuff, the beautiful finishes from wingers, the big hits from the forwards, the sublime passes from the halves - all that standard stuff.

2. The momentum (and not in a Stevo way). I am fascinated by the swings in momentum that you get during games. Minor incidents can massively affect the momentum of the game, a change in personnel, or a bit of genius skill. This stuff can be a little more subtle, but it fascinates me.

3. That even a bad game of RL is still a bloody good 2hrs of entertainment. I find with many other sports that I like I will have to maybe make it more of a social event, but RL is the one that I can enjoy without too much effort. Obviously I'll still get bored with some, but it's generally all good.

That's a good three.

Rugby league, when the sides are matched, often provides games that are agonisingly close, or where something can turn on the smallest thing. And the speed, strength, skill and concentration required by every player, all across the field, on attack and defence, from the first second to the last - it's a sport with no hiding place.

• Like 6

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

As someone who played in the forwards and absolutely loved 80 minutes of giving and (unfortunately) receiving big hits it is the physical nature of the game I enjoy the most.

I can enjoy slight of hand skill and a spectacular try but if it hasn't been earned by getting on top of the opposition physically it doesn't feel the same.  It is why I have never really enjoyed the 7's or 9's version of the game... although I absolutely recognise it has a place in showcasing our sport.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Been going to Hull K R since 1960. Met my future Wife through a joint love of Rugby League, she also used to go with her pals from 1960 and our first date was the Hull Derby in 1966. It's also the same people who you have grown older with, who stand in the same area and some who you only know during the season. They start to bring their children and Grandchildren and you see the new generation of supporters standing along side you, our eldest  Granddaughter goes with us and she knows the supporters that we have known all those years. The final whistle has been blown for quite of our rugby league family but we know that when the whistle is blown for us, their will be someone in the same spot, watching those lads and lasses on the pitch, that is the rugby league family we love and admire.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

1. Thinking about the game, tactics, a player's potential, their best position, etc.

2. Watching, anticipating, enjoying internationals and other big games.

3. Engaging and reading other thoughts on the game, from coaches, fans, players, etc. - especially opinions that give me cause to re-consider my take on things.

• Like 1

For me it's that combination of the brutal, gladiatorial physicality of the sport (that crunch! that you hear at a live game when a big tackle happens) with the sublime skills of those jaw-dropping try-creating moments.

Simple really. 😉

2 hours ago, Sandy said:

Been going to Hull K R since 1960. Met my future Wife through a joint love of Rugby League, she also used to go with her pals from 1960 and our first date was the Hull Derby in 1966. It's also the same people who you have grown older with, who stand in the same area and some who you only know during the season. They start to bring their children and Grandchildren and you see the new generation of supporters standing along side you, our eldest  Granddaughter goes with us and she knows the supporters that we have known all those years. The final whistle has been blown for quite of our rugby league family but we know that when the whistle is blown for us, their will be someone in the same spot, watching those lads and lasses on the pitch, that is the rugby league family we love and admire.

The people , players , administrators , fans 

7 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What do you enjoy the most about Rugby League and why?

Well I love that St Helens get to rest an entire side, that someone can jump ship from one club to join another by being an unruly monkey, that too many games are one sided affairs, that the Aussies are who they are,  etc etc etc

"What's not to love?

• Haha 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Although the (sometimes) constant tinkering with the rules can be frustrating, ultimately we're watching a simple game played by people who, while not far removed from us behind the barriers, play with a skill level and intensity that is breathtaking to watch.

I love the patterns in the play - how the teams move round the field. The left-right switching that searches for breaks in the defending line. Fascinating to watch.

Some gorgeous locations to spend a Sunday afternoon and the fans you meet are mostly lovely.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sandy said:

Thanks for sharing that Sandy, much follows my own path first taken to Hilton Park Leigh as a 6 year old in '59 with a Rugby League daft dad, over the years I watched the occupied spaces by the same faces  becoming redundant,  but we moved to a new stadium 12 years ago so the same places changed but it has been replaced and a pleasure for me having a son and 4 grandsons enjoying what I did at their age.

• Like 1