Why have I not been to an International Game for nearly 30 years?

The question just hit me earlier today. I'm an expansionist if done right, an optimist, go to 30 + games every year for 37 years, want our game to develop, nationally and Internationally so what has stopped me going to internationals. 

Ironically my first two games ever were 1985 Vs NZ at Headingley and VS Australia at Elland Road the year after.

Does the international game appeal to you? Would you fork out say, 80 quid on a match for tickets food etc? Am I not interested because I like the club game or there seems no real competitions when it comes to internationals. 

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

I don't know, are you a Kangaroos fan?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

38 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Am I not interested because I like the club game or there seems no real competitions when it comes to internationals. 

You like the club game and thinks that for a long time internationals haven’t been competitive . You will also soon be going on a long journey , where you will meet a tall dark handsome stranger and fall passionately in love . You’ll engage in a public show of love and devotion , but will fortunately get off with a suspended sentence 

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

The question just hit me earlier today. I'm an expansionist if done right, an optimist, go to 30 + games every year for 37 years, want our game to develop, nationally and Internationally so what has stopped me going to internationals. 

Ironically my first two games ever were 1985 Vs NZ at Headingley and VS Australia at Elland Road the year after.

Does the international game appeal to you? Would you fork out say, 80 quid on a match for tickets food etc? Am I not interested because I like the club game or there seems no real competitions when it comes to internationals. 

The international game would appeal to me, I would watch some kind of Six Nations format and test series against Australia and New Zealand. Or alternatively a meaningful international calendar. I wouldn't watch a game against an all star team. As for pricing it would have to be reasonably priced but if it grew and demand outstripped supply then you'd have to accept a price increase. Let's face it a strong international game would be good for league.

3 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Maybe read your post back before you post next time.

3 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Get yourself booked for some WC games MM......I love internationals (o was one of the 4000 allowed in Warrington at our last home one)....I  had part of my stag do at Wembley for the 2013 semi final....bitter sweet of course but what a day

30 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Get yourself booked for some WC games MM......I love internationals (o was one of the 4000 allowed in Warrington at our last home one)....I  had part of my stag do at Wembley for the 2013 semi final....bitter sweet of course but what a day

Brilliant - and totally agree that Mumby you should book some World Cup games. 

Looking at just the first 10 games there’s at least 3 there that should be belters in terms of even games - Eng v Samoa, Tonga v PNG and Wales v Cook Islands. And that’s just the men’s tournament and also before the bigger match-ups of the quarter finals start.

The passion you’ll see from the players representing their country - especially some of the smaller nations - is like nothing else in Rugby League.

7 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Is the answer: They haven't played internationals at Odsal for over 30 years?

I’ve not been to an international game in seven years but I don’t have the same relationship with the international game as my Dad, so, being completely honest, I’d rather watch my club than England. Being in my thirties, I don’t have any recollection of what my Dad describes as “proper tours” that he grew up with and the international game and outlook on that area of the sport has changed significantly.

We went eight years without a World Cup during my youth, the Four Nations stopped dead in 2016, we’ve flitted between England and Great Britain throughout my time, the postponement of the World Cup was farcical and we’ve played a representative team in the Exiles and the Combined Nations more times in the UK since 2010 than we have  the best nation on the planet, Australia. For those reasons, I’ve only a passing interest in England these days. The days of the 3 and 4 nations were good and had that continued and been allowed time to build up some sort of identity, I might be a fan and actually budget to attend.

After a domestic season, I don’t really fancy paying out and watching England. I’ll probably go to two or three of the World Cup games but I’m not planning on watching a scheduled England game, though I may end up catching one depending on how they do in the group stages but series against New Zealand bore me so I have no intention of attending those. 

16 hours ago, langpark said:

"if done right" seems to be the most overused cliche on this forum and the ultimate 'get out of jail' card for those wanting to make a bold statement, without actually making a bold statement. 

Anyway, carry on 🙂

Nah I'd say its a place below "I believe in expansion but..."

23 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

We both live in Bradford. You can come with me to watch Wales. It's good fun and. to be fair, no-one would pay £80 to watch one.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

There's never been as much international Rugby League in easy reach of Bradford as there has been over the past 20 years.

As an internationalist, perhaps games involving England are a bit too much. But if that's the case and games down the road like PNG vs New Zealand in 2013 or a Four Nations final like NZ vs Australia or, slightly further away, Fiji playing in Rochdale, weren't enough then it's hard to visualise quite what would appeal.

Archived