Belle Vue trending for all the wrong reasons

31 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I see they stuck a few seats behind the goal, presumably for season ticket holders from the old main stand. They must have got p### wet through at the game today?

That’s something I was going to ask - there’s no doubt some seats in the Benidorm flats, but otherwise is there much/any seating for regular fans? 

edit: just seen what they’ve built. Not great in wet weather.

Edited by AB Knight

23 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Anybody who's ever been to Belle Vue in the last few decades know what it's like , don't really see the point of going round with a camera now , 30 years ago I could have done the same at Naughton Park or Fartown  , 25 years ago I could have done the same at Wilderspool , the Boulevard or Central Park , 20 years ago I could have done the same at Hilton Park , 15 years ago at Knowsley rd or the Willows , still can at Wheldon rd 

All of us above ( apart from CAS ) have been lucky to varying degrees , Wakey have got their ' luck ' now , they'll get a lot less than the rest of us for their money , but it is underway , it is happening , now is not the time to kick them 

I’m not “kicking” them for the ground alone, although that’s bad enough, I’m “kicking” them for being the epitome of mediocrity for 20+ years and somehow revelling in that fact.  Look at us, we run a tight ship, we don’t pay overs for players……ace, but look at us also happy to bump along year after year after year between 9th and 12th place in the league, look at us playing in a dump, look at us holding the rest of the sport back because we can’t pay the salary cap and surely it’s not fair if ALL clubs can’t pay the salary cap so let’s not raise it.  Boils my pish tbh, time they were gone.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Anybody who's ever been to Belle Vue in the last few decades know what it's like , don't really see the point of going round with a camera now , 30 years ago I could have done the same at Naughton Park or Fartown  , 25 years ago I could have done the same at Wilderspool , the Boulevard or Central Park , 20 years ago I could have done the same at Hilton Park , 15 years ago at Knowsley rd or the Willows , still can at Wheldon rd 

All of us above ( apart from CAS ) have been lucky to varying degrees , Wakey have got their ' luck ' now , they'll get a lot less than the rest of us for their money , but it is underway , it is happening , now is not the time to kick them 

Wakey and Cas weren't lucky enough to have a supermarket want to move into the area and have to build something as a sweetner. Some are quick to forget that, you're right.

As for those moaning about the area the ground is in, it was built when Queen Victoria was on the throne!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

I have to say that’s very poor from the St Helens media team and someone needs hauling over the coals for doing this.

Whatever else we are, we are all Rugby League people and want the sport to prosper and be shown in the best light. This doesn’t do that and the fact it’s trending means it’s reached outside the game.

Now the Sts officials will have walked into a Belle Vue which has large areas where the stands is in a state of demolition and other areas that have been made do for the duration of the build. It won’t look at its best, even for Belle Vue, but to highlight it now just when the club is finally building ne stands and upgrading things is a bit out of order

• Like 13

19 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I see they stuck a few seats behind the goal, presumably for season ticket holders from the old main stand. They must have got p### wet through at the game today?

We got no wetter than when we played Leeds at Headingley during another downpour earlier this year. 🌧️     We're even inside the head of the weather God.

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

7 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

I’m not “kicking” them for the ground alone, although that’s bad enough, I’m “kicking” them for being the epitome of mediocrity for 20+ years and somehow revelling in that fact.  Look at us, we run a tight ship, we don’t pay overs for players……ace, but look at us also happy to bump along year after year after year between 9th and 12th place in the league, look at us playing in a dump, look at us holding the rest of the sport back because we can’t pay the salary cap and surely it’s not fair if ALL clubs can’t pay the salary cap so let’s not raise it.  Boils my pish tbh, time they were gone.

I don't really see them ' revelling ' in it , they've just been through so much with regards the stadium , all they can do is keep putting as good a team as they can on the pitch each year , and go again , I'm sure they'd have loved a Tesco type deal , but it didn't happen , the council's on that side of the hill seem a bit different to the sunny side , maybe just being ' Yorkshire ' 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

We got no wetter than when we played Leeds at Headingley during another downpour earlier this year. 🌧️     We're even inside the head of the weather God.

I think it made the game a great leveller today. One that got away for sure as Saints were dead set panicking in those closing stages.

8 hours ago, Scubby said:

I think it made the game a great leveller today. One that got away for sure as Saints were dead set panicking in those closing stages.

What's the weather forecast for next Friday?  I'll be stood on that open away end at Cas enjoying the atmosphere at one of the best away games of the season, regardless of how wet I'll be or how slight our chances are of a win.

Edited by Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Like 4

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Just now, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

What's the weather forecast for next Friday?  I'll be stood on that away end at Cas enjoying the atmosphere at one of the best away games of the season, regardless of how slight our chances are of a win.

Always a lottery in Cas Vegas

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

The ground certainly is a dump and as a result, currently, Wakey is an embarrassment to SL. 

BUT! If this time is a genuine opportunity to rebuild then good. Wakey in a decent stadium with a competitive team is a 10k a game club.

That would be great. Don’t get me wrong, Wakey is a proud heartland club with great history but that ground has no place in Super League.

It’s in such a bad way I don’t think the new stand will be transformational in terms of aesthetics or crowds. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dallas Mead said:

So you're basically celebrating that clubs like Warrington got ridiculously lucky with a new ground and a rich owner. Yet a club which didn't have either of those makes you furious?

What a dick you are.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Glad I'm in the East stand this Saturday, as there is a roof. If I had been on the western terrace, I'd have been dreading any rain in case it spoilt my hairdo ! The club obviously don't care if away fans get wet, but that's okay I guess, because they are a BIG club, off the field. 🤠

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OMEGA said:

...Now the Sts officials will have walked into a Belle Vue which has large areas where the stands is in a state of demolition...

They could have made a positive of this. Tweeting something like:

"We've just arrived at Belle Vue. It's fantastic to see that work is beginning on the redevelopment of the ground. All the best to Wakefield Trinity as they enter an exciting phase in their history."

With a photo of the east stand boarded off.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

The dugout photo is the one that gets me because it, yet again, it shows how little we value our players and what we expect them to put up with.

And, of all the issues, it would the quickest to put right with minimal spend.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

The dugout photo is the one that gets me because it, yet again, it shows how little we value our players and what we expect them to put up with.

And, of all the issues, it would the quickest to put right with minimal spend.

They could have at least had matching chairs for instance. Just smacks of they don’t care anymore

9 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

There's a degree of truth to that, but Knowsley Road, The Willows, Central Park, Boulevard, Naughton Park all looked cared for.  There weren't weeds growing everywhere, things did get a lick of paint, broken stuff got mended. Fartown was of course in an even worse state than Belle Vue.

There are thousands of amateur sports clubs in the country that haven't had £20+ million over the last 20 years who have facilities that people actually take a bit of pride in and look after. Compare Batley, Dewsbury or Fev's grounds with Belle Vue - they're not palaces but people are looking after them. Everyone on the terraced street I'm currently living on has basically the same house, but a couple of people have a front garden full of weeds, a rusty bike and bin bags, others have nice flower beds. That's not down to money.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, JonM said:

Everyone on the terraced street I'm currently living on has basically the same house, but a couple of people have a front garden full of weeds, a rusty bike and bin bags, others have nice flower beds. That's not down to money.

That's the best analogy so far.  Let's be honest, those chairs for the players are an absolute disgrace for a professional sports club.

I would like to think that it was an innocent post by Saints as if it was a deliberate dig during the IMG talks then that is not the way to do things.  Entirely within Wakefield's control though.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 1

That dug out is an absolute embarrassment, I don’t have an issue with Saints posting that picture of it.

I don’t believe that they can’t afford to buy a few new chairs for a start, they look like they’ve been scavenged after being dumped outside a scout hut or church hall. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That dug out is an absolute embarrassment, I don’t have an issue with Saints posting that picture of it.

I don’t believe that they can’t afford to buy a few new chairs for a start, they look like they’ve been scavenged after being dumped outside a scout hut or church hall. 

bearing in mind they will probably be able to get a better deal than the first result on google, but the first result on google has those chairs for £15 ex VAT... so a couple of hundred quid sorts that issue out FFS.... and if you stack them and take them in over night they'll last too... 

its very frustrating!

5 minutes ago, RP London said:

bearing in mind they will probably be able to get a better deal than the first result on google, but the first result on google has those chairs for £15 ex VAT... so a couple of hundred quid sorts that issue out FFS.... and if you stack them and take them in over night they'll last too... 

its very frustrating!

Our local football team (Anglian combination division 1) wouldn’t be seen dead with a dug out like that, it demonstrates a lack of self respect. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, OMEGA said:

I have to say that’s very poor from the St Helens media team and someone needs hauling over the coals for doing this.

Whatever else we are, we are all Rugby League people and want the sport to prosper and be shown in the best light. This doesn’t do that and the fact it’s trending means it’s reached outside the game.

Now the Sts officials will have walked into a Belle Vue which has large areas where the stands is in a state of demolition and other areas that have been made do for the duration of the build. It won’t look at its best, even for Belle Vue, but to highlight it now just when the club is finally building ne stands and upgrading things is a bit out of order

But a photo like that can only be taken due to Wakefield's inability to take any pride in their ground. I mean a few hours work and minimal spend could have that looking so much better. Ditto other parts of the ground. Fans have done this kind of stuff for free elsewhere.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Our local football team (Anglian combination division 1) wouldn’t be seen dead with a dug out like that, it demonstrates a lack of self respect. 

They probably wouldn’t be allowed to,even clubs way down the football pyramid have to meet standards in regards to dugouts 

• Like 3