4 Nov: England v New Zealand KO 2.30pm (BBC TV)

Who will win?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12
    • England by 1 to 6
    • Draw
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/11/18 at 14:30

What an outstanding game. It had far more intensity compared to last week. Makinson rightly stole the headlines for his hat-trick but his two outstanding try saving tackles where equally, if not more important.

The start wasn't fantastic but we grew in to the game and arguably deserved to win by more than we did when you take into account the missed goal kicks.

We are slowly starting to see some signs of improvement under Bennett and hopefully these will continue towards 2021. We weren't perfect and have got some improvements in us still when you bring back the likes of Sam Burgess.

I still don't think we've reached our peak, there are flaws in our game that we need to iron out, but we've shown a steel about us recently that you wouldn't usually associate with England/GB.

Like many on here, I'd love a 3 match series over here against Australia soon. Today was a great match and reached a big audience. The problem is that there is only Australia and New Zealand that can provide that level of opposition, compared to around 10-15 nations in Rugby Union. That puts us on the back foot, but here's hoping for at least some international rugby in the UK next year.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the most pleasing things for me this series has been the removal of the reliance of Bennett's traditional leaders. I think we have had a bit of an over-reliance on the likes of Hodgson, Graham, Burgess, Widdopp, plus Lockers when he has played. I felt it kept other key players in the shadows, whereas with three of the above missing, the likes of Tomkins, Lomax and Williams had to step up. They weren't perfect, but despite errors, they showed real leadership and character to grab hold of this game and do well.

Without Watkins, Hall, Widdopp, Burgess and O'Loughlin we were great and didn't look short of leaders.

Hopefully some of these new leaders dominate for England for a while now.

1 hour ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

Mentioning Big Jim in a NZ thread reminds me of an astonishing incident during the 70s where he took an early bath for stamping on another players head! The crowd even applauded him as he left the field.

If that incident happened today he would have been jailed!

there's a Facebook page that JM posts on and various types are laughing and congratulating him over these disgusting incidents when looking back at past 'heroics', he might have been a good forward but he was a dirty barsteward and he was far too often caught out with cowardly sh@t house acts like that.

Plenty harder than he was and didn't resort to such abject thuggery.

36 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

What an outstanding game. It had far more intensity compared to last week. Makinson rightly stole the headlines for his hat-trick but his two outstanding try saving tackles where equally, if not more important.

The start wasn't fantastic but we grew in to the game and arguably deserved to win by more than we did when you take into account the missed goal kicks.

We are slowly starting to see some signs of improvement under Bennett and hopefully these will continue towards 2021. We weren't perfect and have got some improvements in us still when you bring back the likes of Sam Burgess.

I still don't think we've reached our peak, there are flaws in our game that we need to iron out, but we've shown a steel about us recently that you wouldn't usually associate with England/GB.

Like many on here, I'd love a 3 match series over here against Australia soon. Today was a great match and reached a big audience. The problem is that there is only Australia and New Zealand that can provide that level of opposition, compared to around 10-15 nations in Rugby Union. That puts us on the back foot, but here's hoping for at least some international rugby in the UK next year.

This.

I have attended both matches so far and have enjoyed them thoroughly. The sense of occasion was really good with a decent approach to the presentation within the ground and two really gripping games, with neither being decided until the final whistle.

International RL is a fantastic product but, currently, is strictly rationed due to reasons beyond our control.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Everyone loves big jim,  because big jim tells them to....

About 25-30 years ago, I was chatting to big Jim in Boston's pub in Wigan, he introduced me to his brother  who was even bigger.

He said I'm not the big Mills, he is.

He was a lot bigger than Jim.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

What has Bennett brought to the England team, belief.

We have always had the players, we have for years had a lack of belief in what we can do and hung our heads when down.

That was, in a lot of peoples eyes, almost a second string England side.

We are starting to see strength in depth at international level, that is vital to excel at international football.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, lacuna1 said:

Been saying this about the BBC for ages. I like their coverage and i can't see any reason that they can't put a Sunday afternoon Super League game on BBC 2 at 3pm. Games on terrestrial tv are the only way we are going to get noticed for me. I hate Rugby Union (well not hate but dislike a lot) but i always watch the Autumn internationals and six nations when i am not out somewhere because it's easily available and free in HD. I remember in the 90's when the Challenge Cup final was the pinnacle of the RL season. The BBC would do a good 2 hour build up before the match and then the game itself. I have a load of them on DVD, my old Granddad had hours and hours of Rl on video so i converted them all. Nowadays it comes on 20 mins before kick off, get the game on, final whistle they rush them up the steps, lift the trophy and goodnight Vienna so they can get Casualty on in time. Terrestrial tv is the way to go for exposure.

Apart from Sky owning the rights to the games.

49 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

there's a Facebook page that JM posts on and various types are laughing and congratulating him over these disgusting incidents when looking back at past 'heroics', he might have been a good forward but he was a dirty barsteward and he was far too often caught out with cowardly sh@t house acts like that.

Plenty harder than he was and didn't resort to such abject thuggery.

Whilst the action itself is undoubtably dispicable Jim himself is genuinely embarrassed and sorry for it. He has met up with the victim John Greengrass several times and the two get on very well.

In regards to his other sendings off many ex players laugh and joke about past misdemeanours. Every time I saw JM sent off he was having a battle with the opposing teams tough guys for example Mike Nicolas.

We'll done England. Good result today. Wayne Bennett has been a revelation in my eyes,the belief he's instilled in the boys in great to see. We've always had good players,it's the belief that we sometimes lack. Wayne's given it to them. More of the same next week please.

10 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

I don't think it was fitness. I think we controlled possession better and shared the work out more and consequently our forwards won the energy battle. 

I just wish some of our wingers could play centre or fullback, it would give us more options for future internationals. 

Indeed . The way Manfredi is going it’s gonna be really hard to leave him out to. Mind you the way he defuses a bomb and runs it back he could play fb 

the game was far from outstanding or amazing as some posters are saying- it was a stop start, error strewn, penalty ridden,  stop the clock for a suspected broken bootlace affair, let the game flow- please just let it flow

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the game was far from outstanding or amazing as some posters are saying- it was a stop start, error strewn, penalty ridden,  stop the clock for a suspected broken bootlace affair, let the game flow- please just let it flow

With respect I heartily disagree! Yes there were handling errors, but it was tough, intense, uncompromising and thoroughly entertaining.

Can't wait to go to Elland Road next wekend.

There is simply nothing better than international competition!

1 minute ago, distantdog said:

With respect I heartily disagree! Yes there were handling errors, but it was tough, intense, uncompromising and thoroughly entertaining.

Can't wait to go to Elland Road next wekend.

There is simply nothing better than international competition!

Don't encourage him.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

20 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

...and the penalty count was......

A few years ago when England's opponents had moments of possession and pressure I always felt a defeat was about to happen.

Recently when England's opponents have moments of possession and pressure I actually expect England to, most of the time, hang in there and defend well. 

Today when NZ started well I knew (felt) England would stay strong and get on top.

That is the biggest change in watching England for me. I actually expect us to win now! ? 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

From banging on the Arkles door at 1030 to Makinsons match winning try - great day.

NZ threw the kit bag at us but we prevailed and went into the 2nd half level, but the 2nd half was ours.  

The partnership of Connor and Makinson is a threat to any side and our forwards won the day v very physical Kiwis.  We should fear no one.  We are confident, good enough and will continue to improve.

Hodgson was criticised heavily on here, but he was limping badly 2nd half and just kept going.  Guts.  Whitehead?  What can you say.  Must be the form 2nd rower in the world right now.

The sea of red and white flags down the Dalglish stand looked fantastic when the whistle blew.  Let’s top it off now in Leeds.

The English forwards deserve huge credit. The Kiwis came out fired up and tried go out muscle the English pack.

But with 20 minutes to go England were massively on top. That is all about fitness and mental toughness.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived