What is the worst game you've ever been to?

We've probably had this thread before but, what is the worst game you've ever been to? 

---------------

I don't have the best memory for these things but one that always sticks in the mind for me was Hull v Widnes in 2014, when Widnes beat us 0-7. It was an unconverted try, a penalty kick and a drop goal if I remember rightly. A very boring way to lose. 

It's always the real one sided hammerings that bore me to tears, particularly when the conditions are terrible. I remember going to Hull KR a few years ago for an Easter Monday game and Wigan absolutely battered Hull KR by about 70. Hull KR were woeful and it was also absolutely freezing and windy. it was one of those typical Easter Monday games that made you think the second game over that Easter weekend was just pointless. When you are stood on that old away terrace at Craven Park after driving there for a couple of hour, can't feel your hands or toes and frankly can't wait to get home again you do question your sanity.

• Like 1

Losing 1 nil to Barrow at home in the second division in 1994, in front of about 1,500 people, on a postage-stamp-sized muddy field better suited to growing potatoes.

If anyone currently enduring Hull FCs poor start to a season wants to understand what a really bad era for a club looks like, trust me go and look up the match report for that one  🤣🤣🤣

Days like those are why barbs about losing at Wembley to Leeds by 50, or how we haven't won a major trophy since 1985, have zero impact on me. I wake up every day grateful for what Neil, Rob and others have done to get us back to this level. 

Edited by Worzel
Typo
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Worzel said:

Losing 1 nil to Barrow at home in the second division in 1994, in front of about 1,500 people, on a postage-stamp-sized muddy field better suited to growing potatoes.

If anyone currently enduring Hull FCs poor start to a season wants to understand what a really bad era for a club looks like, trust me go and look up the match report for that one  🤣🤣🤣

Days like those are why barbs about losing at Wembley to Leeds by 50, or how we haven't won a major trophy since 1985, have zero impact on me. I wake up every day grateful for what Neil, Rob and others have done to get us back to this level. 

I remember this one! 

From a Donny point of view too many to mention.

However I remember a game at Hull KR when we won 30 nil. Straight after the game the Dons fans were surrounded by stewards for our protection. We were spat at, verbally abused and pelted with stuff. A lot of our younger fans in tears. It's taken a lot of years to forgive them. So yeah. My worst game ever.

• Sad 1

Hull KR's drubbing at Wembley.  Real damp squib of a game/event/day.

Couldn't believe that some Rhinos fans were actually in front of us heading out to the tube station.

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Really difficult question, plenty of rubbish games over the years, but if I think about one of the most disappointing for me in recent history was the England v New Zealand Test match in 2015 at the Olympic Stadium. I took a mate for his first major RL game, and the game, atmosphere, event, was just thoroughly depressing. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Really difficult question, plenty of rubbish games over the years, but if I think about one of the most disappointing for me in recent history was the England v New Zealand Test match in 2015 at the Olympic Stadium. I took a mate for his first major RL game, and the game, atmosphere, event, was just thoroughly depressing. 

I had a very similar experience at that game. It was awful.

• Like 1

Sheffield's defeat in the NL2 promotion final against Keighley at Widnes in 2003, followed by lots of games in the following season when all the positivity of the previous year fell apart.

The standard of the final was OK, but the Eagles weren't quite up to their best and the consequences of losing took two whole seasons to sort out.

Edited by tim2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1980 Redfern Oval Souths v Canterbury. I don't know what the game was like. The official crowd was 21,002 and it was so crowded I'm not even sure whether we were inside the ground at any stage. Maybe we were just standing in the queue outside the Chalmers St gate. Sensibly, we gave up and left. I can't believe they actually had 4 bigger crowds there. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yeah I dragged over 4 or 5 people from Belgium for that. Flat.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I've only been to a handful of games, so it's an easy choice for me. Tri Nations final 2004 at Elland Road: Great Britain 4 - 44 Australia.

I knew the Aussies were top dogs in RL, but GB had had a good tournament until then, so I was optimistic of it at least being a decent contest.

Unfortunately Australia just blew us away in the 1st half.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I went to that and had the same experience. Pretty big crowd if I remember as well. I love international RL, but the common theme with every international game I've been to in the last 15 years or so is that - with the exception of Eng v Samoa at Newcastle - it never feels like a big exciting event. I took a load of workmates to England v NZ at Hull in 2018 and the atmosphere was like a morgue ☹️

Worst game I've ever attended was 2nd Test between GB v Aus at Bolton in 2001. Traffic jams outside the ground meant I had to park miles away and run to the ground in time to make kick off. Everyone knew that we caught them cold in the 1st test and David Waite wouldn't get away with same GB selections and tactics 2 weeks' running... And he didn't - we got pumped by 40 points.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think this would be mine. And I had also taken some newbies as well. 

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Which game? Are you serious. How do I pick one from Widnes’ efforts 😜

Having seen us conceding 60 odd points at Hull on at least a couple of occasions it's ironic that the OP considers one of our greatest successes in recent years as the worst game he's ever witnessed.

• Like 1

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Widnes losing 0-40 at home to London will always be a low point to me.

Last home game that season as well. 

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

The day is only as good as you make it. We had an absolute belter. Apart from the moment we walked in to the ground to the moment we left. Dire. Mind you, watching Bolton there was a similarly depressing experience. 

1 hour ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I went to that and had the same experience. Pretty big crowd if I remember as well. I love international RL, but the common theme with every international game I've been to in the last 15 years or so is that - with the exception of Eng v Samoa at Newcastle - it never feels like a big exciting event. I took a load of workmates to England v NZ at Hull in 2018 and the atmosphere was like a morgue ☹️

Worst game I've ever attended was 2nd Test between GB v Aus at Bolton in 2001. Traffic jams outside the ground meant I had to park miles away and run to the ground in time to make kick off. Everyone knew that we caught them cold in the 1st test and David Waite wouldn't get away with same GB selections and tactics 2 weeks' running... And he didn't - we got pumped by 40 points.

The atmosphere didn’t need to be like that but the initial attempts from the RFL to nurture an England supporters club just fell completely flat. We did have a good day in the players lounge that day, though!

My main memory of the 2001 game at the Reebok is that it was one of the first games I actually remember leaving early. We were halfway up the steps to KFC when we heard the crowd must up a cheer for Leon Pryce’s try late on. 

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think one of the worst experiences I've had was England v Nz at Huddersfield; probably in the same series . It nearly killed me off from RL for life

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

I've only been to a handful of games, so it's an easy choice for me. Tri Nations final 2004 at Elland Road: Great Britain 4 - 44 Australia.

I knew the Aussies were top dogs in RL, but GB had had a good tournament until then, so I was optimistic of it at least being a decent contest.

Unfortunately Australia just blew us away in the 1st half.

I had only missed the second test of the 1986 series against Australia having been at the first at Old Trafford that year and I attended every one in the UK until that 2004 game. After that my enthusiasm evaporated as I was totally sick of watching GB/ England lose when it mattered.

5 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

We've probably had this thread before but, what is the worst game you've ever been to? 

---------------

I don't have the best memory for these things but one that always sticks in the mind for me was Hull v Widnes in 2014, when Widnes beat us 0-7. It was an unconverted try, a penalty kick and a drop goal if I remember rightly. A very boring way to lose. 

Take your pick from the 2014 Broncos season 

Last week at Plough Lane was no picnic either 

Coventry Bears 0 Whitehaven 72. It was the final game of the season and Whitehaven's league winning party. The Bears had been on a bad run so I wasn't expecting much but there was a big crowd there and the match was live so I thought they'd put in a good performance. It was all one way traffic and not a pleasant watch at all with the Bears not even close to scoring. Supporting a lower end of the table league 1 team I was used to one sided scores but thats the most disappointed I'd ever been at a game. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, iangidds said:

I think one of the worst experiences I've had was England v Nz at Huddersfield; probably in the same series . It nearly killed me off from RL for life

Weird one for great atmosphere, let-down game was Eng v NZ at Elland Rd, might have been 2018? Packed ground, remembrance day so a moving silence, then a haka, but don't think we scored a point all game.