Sun 2 Aug: SL: St Helens v Catalans Dragons KO 4.15pm (Sky Sports)

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Catalans Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/08/20 at 15:45

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the first time this season Woolf should have a fully fit squad to choose from, close game but can see Saints nicking it. I think it looks a better balanced squad with Graham back. As good as Tommo was the team often lacked a leader on the field, especially when Roby wasn't on the pitch, and that cost them at crucial times in games. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

I’ve got very mixed feelings on this game. 

We started the season off poorly, for me. Yes, we changed coach so there was going to be an inevitable drop off from the previous two and a half years under Justin Holbrook but the dramatic change of tactics and reliance on lying on “the wrestle” in defence and stifled attack didn’t leave me too pleased and the results weren’t the best and we were convincingly beaten by Cas in our last game. How much of that was down to what Kristian Woolf had available to him, I’m not sure, as we had games without Mark Percival, James Roby, Regan Grace, Tommy Makinson and Alex Walmsley at one stage or another. We now have a fully fit squad to choose from for the first time this year, so I’m hoping that between the combination of a fully fit squad and the new ‘six again’ rules, which should really suit our players, we play a bit more like the Saints we know. 

I’m fearful of Catalans, though. Their backs are good, they’ve got some pace in their back line and they should be quite pleased with this new ‘six again’ rule, I think they could be dangerous, especially at home. 

I’m fearful for the weekend as I think I’m right in saying that Catalans were one of the first teams to go back to training so they could well be far sharper than we are. 

Not a clue what will happen. Catalans started the season very well and we did not. If we can win this game, even in a close or ugly manner, I'd be really pleased. The season starting again means that form is less relevant now, so I've not got a clue what will happen. Think it will be very tight though!

Nobody has mentioned the fact that Catalans are without several key players: Sam Tomkns (suspended),  David Mead (injured) Lewis Tierney (injured) Mika Simon (injured). I am surprised that after all these months off, three players are injured.

The squad of 21 (4 to be cut by game time)  is:

3. Samisoni  LANGI
4. Israel  FOLAU
5. Fouad  YAHA
6. James  MALONEY
7. Josh  DRINKWATER
8. Rémi  CASTY
9. Micky  McILORUM
10. Sam  MOA
11. Matt  WHITLEY
12. Joel  TOMKINS
13. Benjamin  GARCIA
14. Julian  BOUSQUET
16. Tom  DAVIES
17. Benjamin  JULLIEN
18. Alrix  DA COSTA
20. Lucas  ALBERT
22. Arthur  ROMANO
23. Antoni  MARIA
24. Jason  BAITIERI
25. Arthur  MOURGUE
28. Sam  KASIANO

The  normal two first choice options for full back, Tomkins and Mead, are unable to play. However the coach has a handy third option. I would expect that the former rugby union Wallabies full back, Israel Folau would move from centre to full back, Tom Davies will replace Tierney on the wing. Samisoni Langi will certainly take one centre position that Mead would have taken. The other centre position that Folau will be moving from, would likely be filled by Arthur Romano.

So the likely team would be:

Israel Folau

Fouad Yaha, Samisoni Langi, Arthur Romano, Tom Davies

James Maloney, Josh Drinkwater

Jason Baitieri

Joel Tomkins, Matt Whitley

Remi Casty,, Michael McIl;orum, Sam Moa

Interchange: Julien Bousquet,  Sam Kasiano, Benjamin Garcia, Benjamin Julien

This is still a strong team. However the absence of Sam Tomkins, who was in outstanding form before the suspension of the competition, and David Mead, diminishes Catalans formidable backline strike power somewhat.

It is impossible to know now which of these two strong teams will come out of their hibernation in sharper form.However I expect that Israel Folau will star from the full back position, as will James Maloney in the halves.

Morgue at full back or Albert? According to the local paper morgue starts at full back. 

According to the journalist 

1 morgue 2 Davies 3 langi 4 folau 5 yaha 6 maloney 7 drink water 8 bouquet 9 mcllorum 10 moa 11 Tomkins 12 Whitley 13 Garcia 14 casty 15 Maria 16 kassiano 17 baitieri 

48 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Morgue at full back or Albert? According to the local paper morgue starts at full back. 

According to the journalist 

1 morgue 2 Davies 3 langi 4 folau 5 yaha 6 maloney 7 drink water 8 bouquet 9 mcllorum 10 moa 11 Tomkins 12 Whitley 13 Garcia 14 casty 15 Maria 16 kassiano 17 baitieri 

It will be interesting to see how Morgue goes, if he plays.

Is this the year Albert breaks through?  I can’t see him playing as a FB.

I've stated before Albert has shed some weight and looks very fit. He's played full back a couple of times. I don't think he'll ever breakthrough at the dragons as he'll always be a squad player behind the foreigners. But with lots of games in a short period may give him a chance to play more. 

St Helens are stil the yardstick by which Super League clubs are judged I expect them to win

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Saints were pants before lockdown. I didn't like what the new coach had done to my team.  It looked more like the team under Cunningham than the one which thrilled us Saints fans under Holbrook (who I would have back in a heartbeat).  I don't want Cunningham mark two and I've no confidence such a team will win much at all as the players aren't built for the grind up the middle rubbish.  I'm not very hopeful against the Dragons but with so much time off, with no fans at the ground and the change in rules I have no idea what will happen.  But I'll still be shouting my support at the telly this afternoon.

C'mon you Saints! 

Not bothered who wins, just happy we're back.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived